I decided to go for it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005 | 12:10 PM
Suspended
Very true fourpointsix, thanks for clearing that one up. Still driving my '93 f150 w/ the 40 series on it at times, I like hearing my exhaust at all times. I was thinking about that, and leaning towards a super 40 for my new '04 or maybe the IMCO 1 chamber like you. I'm just wondering now if I will be able to hear the super 40 or IMCO while driving and slightly accelerating or at idle, or if it's going to be quiet except whenever I mash the gas hard. I think I've eliminated going w/ the original 40 after reading some of these posts. I also thought maybe I could get the IMCO and if I didn't like it, I could just take the original 40 off my old truck, put the IMCO on it, and then put the 40 on my new truck. They'll both me SI/DO. But then I'd have an original 40 on my new truck and again, not too sure about doing that.

Old 07-04-2005 | 03:55 PM
|
Higdogg, I would try the IMCO on your new truck first, since it's definitely the cheaper of the two at 35-40 bucks. I look back and regret the fact that I dropped a bunch more on my 40 Series and now I'm replacing it with something that costs at least a third less! Also, as far as what folks have been saying about the volume of the IMCO 1-chamber: the guys that have put them on their trucks who formerly had Flowmaster 40 Series reported a 50% increase in volume. That, and the much better flow of the IMCO over the Flowmaster, is why I chose IMCO.

Old 07-04-2005 | 11:51 PM
Suspended
fourpointsix, I can't wait until you get yours to find out how you like it and how it sounds. If it sounds that good on a 4.6, I might just do it. You getting yours welded on by a shop? If so, how much is it going to cost, do you know? And are you getting dual out the rear or what, and what size pipe?

Old 07-05-2005 | 05:02 AM
|
Higdogg, I can't wait either! Yes, I'm having a shop put it on (hopefully Friday, if it's here when I get home from work!). I got a 3-inch SI/SO, so I'm going to be running 3-inch pipe out behind the rear tire with a stainless tip (probably a Magnaflow tip). It will sound plenty mean and I'll get the nice gurgly tip sound as well.

Old 07-05-2005 | 01:56 PM
Suspended
fourpointsix, I called around to some muffler shops today asking about different mufflers. They all sell one called Raven that they said is about the same sound as flowmaster, but doesn't sound crappy after a couple of years like people say flowmaster does. I've never had a problem with my flowmaster 40 and I've had it for at least 5 years now. The Raven is not necessarily chambered, but they said it has a Z design inside it. They said the flowmaster sounds pretty good on these f150's though. And they said IMCO was like a flowmaster too, just cheaper and not as good is what they said. They told me the IMCO is not as loud as flowmaster. Who knows, a lot of others are saying it is louder but we'll never know until you get yours on. Plus they were probably talking about the 2 chamber IMCO anyway. Not sure about how good the raven is though.

Old 07-05-2005 | 06:23 PM
|
Higdogg, I hear about the Raven Z33 a lot on the V6 forums. Apparently the Raven was designed to make a V6 sound like a V8. I'm not sure if anyone has put one on a V8 truck. I think your muffler shops are feedin' you a load, and there could be 2 reasons for that. A) It's an honest mistake and they think you're interested in the 2-chamber mufflers. By the way, FasterF150 has true duals with IMCO 2-chambers and it sounds great, check out the video in his gallery. B) They want your 60-70 bucks for a 40 Series rather than your 35.99 for an IMCO 1-chamber. Big surprise on that one. I can't wait for my IMCO to get here! From Friday to today it's come from Roanoke, VA to San Pablo, CA so that's promising. Why it's going to take 3 days to get from San Pablo to here in San Jose is beyond me! Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be patient!

Old 07-06-2005 | 08:53 AM
There are some V8's running Ravens. Check this forum like a year ago or so, or just make a search. There was a wave of Ravens by that time but not enough to displace any of the major brands. I even went to the website for info but decided to go with Gibson's Supertruck.

Old 07-10-2005 | 08:22 PM
|
Well I have the IMCO on my truck, and it sounds AMAZING. I'm never buying another Flowmaster. This exhaust has the deepest, meanest tone around I've ever heard. I took it on a trip yesterday, 100 miles at 80 mph, and the thing opened up even more.

Old 07-10-2005 | 10:00 PM
Suspended
Okay fourpiontsix, glad to hear that. Now fill me in on your setup again....is it SI/SO 3"? So tell me how you would compare the difference in sounds between it and the flowmaster 40 you had? Is it deeper and smoother, or just deeper or what? And what about loudness? One thing that I was wondering about that I had read somewhere not long ago about those 1 chamber IMCO's is that there is a drone at cruising speeds. Is that true, since you took it on a long trip? If so, what was the speed and RPM that it drones? I am definintely interested in this muffler now if you like it that much.

I've got a flow on my old '93 f150 too, and it's smooth, but never loud enough, and that's w/ my back cat cut off. So if this muffler is still smooth sounding, I might get one for my old truck too.

Old 07-25-2005 | 11:37 PM
Ok, I'm reading all of these posts about the IMCO, and have just about decided that I have to have one. This being said, where do I order one? I've got the 4.6L, and for right now, all I can really afford (so far as I know) is to just buy the IMCO 1-chamber and swap it out with the Flowmaster 40 Series that's already in there.

Old 07-25-2005 | 11:43 PM
|
Kung, http://www.performance-curve.com - $35.99. It doesn't get better than this - at least for me.

Old 07-25-2005 | 11:48 PM
Ok, now, the question I have....

As I stated, I have currently a Flowmaster 40 series. In other words, I took out the stock muffler, and put a Flowmaster in its place. My plan is to take the Flowmaster out and put in the IMCO. I am taking it that while buying more pipes is always better, swapping in the IMCO should recover some of that lost torque and make it sound a lot better, right? I am thinking I can always put on another Y-pipe later.

Old 07-25-2005 | 11:53 PM
One more question. I pulled up IMCO under the "Manufacturer" section of that website you posted, fourpointsix, and there are about a hundred different mufflers. LOL Which one am I looking for? What size, is what I mean.

Old 07-26-2005 | 05:53 AM
Hi Kung, IMHO, if what you can really can afford right now is an IMCO in the range of $40.00, and already owning a Flowmaster, why don't you keep the FM, and save some $$?. There's a lot of modifications out there for our trucks and many years to come. Saving every penny counts, if you are like me, not rich.....unless you can sell the FM.

I heard good things about the IMCO's as well as the FM's. I owned a Gibson a few years ago and now I have a Magnaflow custom system. Happy with both.

Old 07-26-2005 | 08:53 AM
To answer your question, JMTruck, my plan is NOT to keep this truck for a long time, and in the meantime, I'm not exactly 'broke'....but I'm in the process of growing a starting business, and I'd rather devote time/energy/money to that.

So, in the meantime, I'd like to have something that a) sounds great but b) doesn't rob me of low-end torque.

Quick Reply: I decided to go for it!