I decided to go for it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005 | 02:16 AM
|
I decided to go for it!

Hey guys, I've been complaining about my Flowmaster for a few days now, so I decided to try something new. Because of the sound clip I heard and the feedback I've been reading, I just ordered an IMCO Extreme 1-chamber muffler off performance-curve.com. The price with shipping was $47.88, so even if I don't like it, the cost is not bad considering. If it sounds anything like the soundclips I'm going to be thrilled. The only thing I have to decide is whether to put the pipe out before my rear tire or after the rear tire. What do you guys think?

Old 06-30-2005 | 03:51 PM
My setup is a dual out before the rear right side tire "a la Lightning" with two 4" Magnaflow slash cut SS tips. They are a beauty but no photos yet.

Old 06-30-2005 | 06:13 PM
|
Sounds awesome. I think the 3 inch pipe coming out right there would be pretty sweet. Not sure what kind of tip to put on it though!

Old 07-01-2005 | 01:33 AM
Suspended
cool, let us know how it sounds when you get it. I'm interested in that one too, I have a 5.4. I wonder if there will be any sound difference much between a 4.6 and a 5.4 when compared using the same kind of muffler? Does anyone know?

Old 07-01-2005 | 03:22 AM
|
Higdogg, there's a whole lot more 5.4L F150s than 4.6L F150s where I'm at. The 5.4 definitely sounds a lot more like a truck than my 4.6L does. In fact, just about every truck here has a Flowmaster with dual out the back, and they sound great on the 5.4 engine.

Old 07-01-2005 | 09:02 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by fourpointsix
Higdogg, there's a whole lot more 5.4L F150s than 4.6L F150s where I'm at. The 5.4 definitely sounds a lot more like a truck than my 4.6L does. In fact, just about every truck here has a Flowmaster with dual out the back, and they sound great on the 5.4 engine.
Okay, thanks for posting that. I needed to hear it.....because today I went to the exhaust shop and got a bogus story I think. I told the guy I like a deep and loud exhaust and that I've had flowmaster 40 before and I want one on my '04 f150. He said the original 40 was louder than the super 40, and that the super 40 didn't sound good on these new f150's. Then I asked him if the original 40 was good and loud enough, and he goes 'ah, it's not too awful loud.' He quoted me $200 for a SI/DO original 40 system (no tips), which I think is pretty good. But then he said it would be $240 for the super 40 system, which is a bit too much more for that muffler. What do you guys think? I think if I were to buy my muffler and tips cheaper elsewhere, that they would ream me on the install price if I went back up there to have it installed and welded, and it would be more expensive that way possibly.

Also, I asked him about IMCO mufflers, and he said that 'they run too hot on these trucks.' ....whatever that means??? I've never heard that before, not sure what he means. I had just read in these forums that they flow better than flowmaster and have a good clean sound like flowmaster, plus the sound clips online. What's all your opinions? I'm going to double post this in 2004-05 forum too and get some response there.

Old 07-02-2005 | 12:09 AM
|
Higdogg, muffler shops make more installing Flowmasters because there is more profit to the muffler sale than say, IMCO. He's going to recomend what he thinks will make him the most money. From what I've heard, and from a few people on here, the Super 40 isn't that loud. I would go with an Original 40 Series because that's the classic Flowmaster sound right there. His price for the SI/DO system is excellent BTW. You can probably get that with tips for 250 bucks, which is a great deal in my opinion. I had a SI/DO Original 40 Series on my old F250 with tips, and it cost me 350 bucks. Then again, I live in California so we're marked way up over everyone else. Nevertheless, that sounds like a good price. The Magnaflow rolled SS tips sound great, I would get either those or the single wall angle cut tips. Good luck with that!

Old 07-02-2005 | 01:13 AM
Suspended
fourpointsix,

You're probably right. They have always dealt heavily in flowmaster at that shop. I just never understood how a muffler (the IMCO) could run 'too hot' on my new truck unless he's just an idiot or full of bullcrap. The thing that bothers me is that I haven't heard a flowmaster on one of these trucks, and I don't know what's up with them anyway. They don't have any sound clips on their site for new f150's and their site basically sucks I think. The super 40 to me is very unclear as to what it is or does. At this same muffler shop about a month ago, I swung in for a minute and spoke with a different guy about this issue, and he told me that the super 40's sounded great and better than the original 40's on these new f150's. He said they were a little bit louder than the original 40. So I've heard everything now......that is everything except hearing one in real life. So have you actually heard a super 40 on a new f150? If so, was it a 5.4 or 4.6 and how did it compare to the sound of your original 40?

Old 07-02-2005 | 10:39 AM
Does it sounds good or not?, is a matter of personal taste. So, don't get confused with personal opinions (that may be bias).

Old 07-02-2005 | 04:59 PM
|
Higdogg, my Flowmaster sounds very deep with some throatiness with mild acceleration. Hammer the pedal and it gets extremely throaty and raspy. This won't happen as much on a 5.4L which is deeper to begin with. Also, if you're running tips out the back those keep the sound very deep and trucklike throughout the RPM range. It will sound mean on your truck. You can count on some interior resonance. I myself have a lot because my Flowmaster is dumped but I don't mind it in the least, hence the decision to go to a 1-chamber. You could try an IMCO 1-chamber like what I have on the way, they have SI/DO available on the 1-chamber. According to the guys at fordtruckworld.com, the muffler sounds exactly like this. BTW, this is a 4.6L in the soundclip, so if anything you can expect yours to sound more like a truck.

http://www.grabthepower.com/manager/...d_F150_4-6.mp3

Old 07-02-2005 | 06:26 PM
Suspended
fourpointsix, since you've had the flow 40 and getting the IMCO, do you or anyone else know if the IMCO will be louder at idle than the flow? In the clip it sounds good at startup and idle. I know a lot of guys have been saying their mufflers like magnaflow and maybe the super 40 are quiet at idle or something. And so overall the IMCO 1 chamber will be a bit quieter than the flow 40 original, but has better sound at cruising speeds and under a load? Is that right?

Old 07-02-2005 | 09:51 PM
|
Higdogg, the Flowmaster Original 40 on my truck is almost inaudible inside my truck at idle. Outside there is a little sound, but not much. I understand that tips make the idle louder. As far as the IMCO 1-chamber, I have heard there is a slight increase at idle, but definitely more volume with any type of acceleration. I am going to an IMCO 1-chamber muffler for the smoother sound (probably due to the lack of those triangular shaped baffles in the Flowmaster case), higher overall volume, and much increased exhaust flow. Flowmaster, despite the name, is not the greatest flowing muffler out there. I have no bias against Flowmaster; I have had a 40 Series on 2 trucks now and it is definitely a good sounding muffler. However, judging from what I have heard, the IMCO will be an improvement in both sound and performance.

Old 07-03-2005 | 07:10 AM
The soundclip sounds good.

Old 07-03-2005 | 02:54 PM
Suspended
fourpointsix, really? I think that I have read it both ways now on the IMCO 1 chamber. I have read somewhere on here where someone was saying that the IMCO is a little bit quieter than flowmaster, so that is what I was imagining. But honestly, on the sound clip it sounds like it would probably be a little bit louder just like you said. I know you've got the 4.6, but I'm amazed that the flowmaster is barely audible on your truck at times. I've also read where others with 4.6 and 5.4 both said it was too loud or something. Just a difference in opinion I guess, but I know that it opens my eyes when someone says it's not heard very well, because those guys are usually looking for a sound like I am. There is a guy, selva1 I think, on the '04-'05 forum where I posted that says he's had almost all the flow's, said the super 40 is about as loud as the original 40 but sounds much better and deeper. He says it produces a great sound on his truck and he likes it kinda loud too. I bet both the flow and IMCO will sound good, when will you be getting yours?

Old 07-04-2005 | 04:39 AM
|
Higdogg, the IMCO gets here on Friday 7/8. I'm getting it put on that day after work. As far as what you've been reading about the IMCO, a couple dudes on this forum who think they have the IMCO 1-chamber actually have the 2-chamber (Pro Series), which is quieter than the 2-chamber Flowmaster 40 Series. Although the 2 are close in appearance, it is important to note that the IMCO mufflers flow much better than the Flowmaster equivalent. I don't think anyone could logically argue that a 1-chamber muffler is going to be quieter than a 2-chamber. That's utter nonsense.

Quick Reply: I decided to go for it!