Magnaflow or Flowmasters?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005 | 03:45 PM
|
Talking Magnaflow or Flowmasters?

Hello. I have decided to get a Magnaflow or Flowmasters exhaust system but I don't know which one to pick. I want to know which one I should pick and why because I want my truck to sound better than my dad's Corvette.

Last edited by ECG : Blindman; 07-26-2005 at 03:46 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 07-26-2005 | 04:30 PM
WLF
I have had both.
First I put on a Flowmaster 40. It droned so much at highway speeds I took it off and put on a Magnaflow SI/DO. Then I could hardly hear the truck.
I removed the Magnaflow and put on a Flowmaster Super 40 SI/DO. Same low tone as the regular 40 with almost no drone at highway speeds. I recommend the Flowmaster Super 40.
Have fun.

Old 07-27-2005 | 11:23 AM
i recomend flowmaster

Old 07-27-2005 | 12:10 PM
Well Blind.. still at it I see. Okay, I'll bite....

For giggles, here's an excerpt from a recent post by Mike Troyer - who has probably forgotten more about exhausts and F150 performance than any of us will ever know. Yup - everyone has their pet exhasust opinions, but how many guys do you know who actually tests like he does and knows what really works, versus all the B.S that's out there, like SuckMasters and fartpacks. Geezzz, the crap some people dream up ;-)). Enjoy:

"Hi Trriton 2,

Exhaust is really outside of the realm of this section of the boards, so you really need to give us a call to go over this in proper detail.

Though it's not an absolute must, yes, we do recommend getting rid of the "Slowmaster" muffler and replacing it with an appropriate Magnaflow unit - that will help to improve torque. Now exactly which muffler you use will depend on what kind of sound characteristics you want, so that's why you need to call, so we can go over all of that with you. It's not just length alone, for example.

What that Flowmaster setup is doing is actually *reducing* torque on part throttle at any rpm, and reducing torque below about 3000 rpm a at any throttle position - and that is due to all those silly baffles & chambers they use as part of their "sound engineering" - all they are is impediments to airflow, and slow down exhaust gas velocity, which is why you don't see much in the way of HP gains form them, and actually lose torque, especially in the lower rpm ranges. When it comes to torque, exhaust gas *velocity* is absolutely key.

No, we will not need to change what we do in the tuning if you change to a different cat-back exhaust system or just do a muffler change like that - that will be fine. "

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Magnaflow or Flowmasters?