Summit Headers for 5.4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005 | 05:09 PM
kev
|
Summit Headers for 5.4?

ANyone have experience with summit racing's brand of headers? Part number SUM-G9047

I had two studs snap on my passenger side exhaust manifold. I'm going to replace all studs and am contemplating replacing the manifolds as well.

Thanks,
kev

Old 08-02-2005 | 01:22 AM
I am interested too. They are sure a great price. Makes you wonder if they are crap.

Old 08-02-2005 | 06:33 AM
kev
|
Yeah, I'm sure they will rust up quick. But the stock exhaust manifolds did that too! I can't believe how bad of shape these ford manifolds are after only 6 years!!!! The nuts on each stud are so rusted that you can't even tell the difference between the stud and nut! The manifold is just like delaminating, etc!

Old 08-03-2005 | 07:56 AM
I put some on my first truck and they did not rust out or anything they just changed colors from the heat but were ok. They work fine but my younger brother has the truck know and has to retighten them up from time to time.

Old 08-11-2005 | 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by 02KR
I put some on my first truck and they did not rust out or anything they just changed colors from the heat but were ok. They work fine but my younger brother has the truck know and has to retighten them up from time to time.
I know this isn't a popular sentiment, but I think headers are a major PITA. They generate a lot of engine noise that stock manifolds seem to dampen well, they rust and they need to be frequently retightened. I *might* consider using them if I was absolutely certain the factory manifolds were restricting flow, but that's extremely unlikely given the RPM range of most street engines nowadays. Factory manifolds do have one disadvantage - they soak up heat and transfer it back to the heads and block. A motor w/o emission controls and with a large, free-flow intake system and high rev capability can use them, but otherwise, spend your money elsewhere.

Old 08-12-2005 | 01:13 PM
I'm not running the Summitt headers, however, I'm running a close second with the Pace Setter Headers. They do allow a little more noise and from time to time I do have to tighten them but I really do like them.

Old 08-15-2005 | 09:39 PM
I not 100% sure but I believe Pace setter/Monza makes the headers with the summit name.

I will ask my friend for sure, he works for pacesetter.

PHD

Old 08-16-2005 | 03:34 AM
They do make locking header bolts....

Old 08-16-2005 | 05:33 AM
I was running the summit headers for a short while, they didn't rust on me but I blew gaskets like crazy and had to retighten them atleast twice a month. Took them off after 8 months put on a set of heddman hedders

Old 08-16-2005 | 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by 01vert
They do make locking header bolts....
I don't think that will solve the problem. In my experience, the headers loosen because the gaskets shrink or burn out. I remember installing double nuts over the maniufold studs on a big-block Chevy, but that still didn't prevent the headers from loosening.

Old 08-16-2005 | 04:26 PM
If the headers are installed correctly and torqued correctly with a decent header gasket and use of locking (www.stage8.com) header bolts, they should NEVER EVER have to be re-tightened.

As far as flow differences, don't have "actual" numbers, but the stock manifolds on my truck weren't "that" bad, but the JBA headers will definitely flow a hell of a lot more. The stock manifolds are VERY THICK metal and basically one flow tube with each exhuast port merging into it where as the JBAs are an individual flow tube merging at the collector. Check my gallery for comparison pics -- remember, the metal on the stock is at least 2-3-4 times thicker on the casting so they don't flow as much as they look from the "out" view.

Old 08-20-2005 | 03:28 AM
They sure do make more noise, but I dont call it noise!!!!! It isnt that they "flow" better they scavenge the exhaust better making more HP. And as far as gaskets burning out if you install them correctly with good parts you should never have problems, you should only have to check and re torque in about a week. After that they should have no problems, and as for them rusting, I have never had a header rust, but then I dont buy the cheapest thing I can slap on my car or truck.....

Quick Reply: Summit Headers for 5.4?