manifold / header question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005 | 07:20 PM
|
manifold / header question

I have a problem and would like some advice from those who have had similar experience or knowledge.

My passenger side manifold exhaust flange bolts have rusted off and broken off from the connecting flange on the cat. Needless to say the pipes have come apart and it is extremely loud.

Needless to say I need to replace the manifold. Does anyone on here know how much it would cost to replace? I can get one from Autozone for around $100 but it doesn't look like a job I can tackle so to the shop it must go.

If replacing the manifold is too expensive would it be cheaper to have headers put on? Or would it be about the same?

I would appreciate some advice here before my neighbors or fellow road warriors take it upon themselves to kill me from the excessive noise.

Old 08-04-2005 | 04:05 AM
|
No one has ever had a manifold replaced on here at all???

Old 08-04-2005 | 12:31 PM
most of us switch to headers if the manifolds become damaged or break its just cheaper

Old 08-04-2005 | 06:25 PM
|
From my limited reasearch I don't understand how it would be cheaper. I looked up the manifold through Autozone and if memory serves me right it was a shade over $100. I sure can't find headers that cheap. Or if I had them replaced would the job be cheaper overall. I'm confused here. It seems to me that either way the same amount of work would need to be done.

Old 08-07-2005 | 06:04 PM
manifold bolts

i just found 2 bolts rusted off manifold head bolts

Old 08-08-2005 | 02:15 PM
Manifold Help!

If you don't want to go with the Headers I have a set of manifolds off an 02 5.4L with studs/nuts and gaskets i'm willing to sell. Perfect condition, only about 20K mi on them.

02 F150 Super Crew Lariat FX4 White & Silver
5.4 /w Roush Cold Air Intake & K&N filter
3.55 LS
Flowmaster Cat Back
JBA Titanium Cat4ward Headers
Rancho RSX's
Rancho Steering Stablizer
Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar
Lightning Tails
Outland Sport Bumper Guard
Hella 550's
Silverstars
Superchips 9100 Micro Tuner c/o Troyer Performance
Underdrive Pullies c/o Troyer Performance
Mag-Hytec Trans Pan

Old 08-08-2005 | 02:51 PM
I have priced this on my 1998.

Both manifolds, gaskets, and studs were around $250 for parts.
My shop said they charge $750 for the above parts, labor, and the manifold to EGR valve tube. That tube is usually rusted to the manifold (driver side), and needs replaced too.

When the time comes, I'm going for the whole job.
I have new o2 sensors waiting to go in at the same time.

I would guess just the pass side (manifold, gasket, studs, etc) installed at $300-350???
It is alot of labor since the studs all break, and this is just a guess.

Old 08-08-2005 | 04:12 PM
Thumbs up

I found a parts store online that has what I found are the best prices on standard exhaust manifolds. http://www.yourautopartstore.com/ They're out of Texas. The manifold for your truck is about $71. Gasket & bolt set is about $13 & they have a standard $7.50 shipping fee. I just put one on my '95 302 & it was fine. Parts came via UPS ground in less than a week all the way to PA.

Old 08-09-2005 | 06:11 PM
|
Thanks for the advice fellas.

jjmIII was the price you got from a dealer, local muffler shop or a national muffler shop?

02SUPRCRUE, thanks for the offer but I have a 4.6 and I really don't want to replace the header as much as I just want it put back together.

Tonight I'm going to try and get the studs out of the flange.
In case anyone doesn't understand my bolts aren't broke off at the engine, they're broke off at the connection to the cataliytic convertor. I've read about some guys getting them out with vice-grips and such so I'll give it another try. I'm trying to save money since have numerous other items to repair/replace as well.

Old 08-16-2005 | 11:09 PM
Hey Wolf, You seem to be on track for another Ohio Rust problem I've been there done that thing. A/C bearing,exhaust stud ( manifold studs are SOON to follow) , Horn failure, brake rust ,hood spring,brake line and others. I got a set of like new (no rust anyway) manifolds off off F-150 Lightning.Found them off the F-150 classified section. You may want to check as some guys NEED headers and cast off stock parts ($50 each) .
Note, Ford had a service bulliten to use stainless manfold studs and nuts (about 6 mo. late info for me) .due to rust issues. Search this board for manifold studs and the like for many tips on R&R. I tried to remove bent stud
on "new" one, gave up and used it anyway. I replaced the driver side too, about the time the stud rusted to pencil lead thin !!!
I saw what the road salt was doing to it , and riveted some rubber sheet to the inner fender to save the area from direct salt splash. Manifolds are a job I'd rather only do once..... Mark in Ohio

Old 08-21-2005 | 07:51 PM
|
Well I finally got the manifold problem fixed until I have money for headers or sell the truck. I was able to drill out the bottom stud with a pencil grinder and put a stainless bolt in it. It quieted down to normal and I think one bolt should hold it. Can't get to the top stud anyways.

Old 08-26-2005 | 04:00 PM
Question

Ford had a service bulliten to use stainless manfold studs and nuts (about 6 mo. late info for me) .due to rust issues.
Does anyone know where I can get Stainless studs, and nuts for a 1998 4.6L V8 ????

Old 08-27-2005 | 04:18 PM
In case this happens to someone else....

This exact same thing happened to me twice now, If you take it to a muffler shop or someone who has a welder, they can weld another bolt onto the end of the broken stud and turn it out that way. It is amazing how well it works.

Old 08-27-2005 | 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by jjmIII
Does anyone know where I can get Stainless studs, and nuts for a 1998 4.6L V8 ????
Ford dealer I'd guess... They have TSB for 5.4, I assume they might have yours. Search for many tips... I removed inner fender for sure..Mark

Old 08-29-2005 | 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by v8280z
This exact same thing happened to me twice now, If you take it to a muffler shop or someone who has a welder, they can weld another bolt onto the end of the broken stud and turn it out that way. It is amazing how well it works.
Yup, seen it done. Usually they weld a nut on the end of the stud by filling the center with weld.

Does anyone have an opinion on these manifolds (items 3 & 4 on page) for a 4.6L ??

They seem too cheap?? Anyone used these??

Quick Reply: manifold / header question