Exhaust Question (Magnaflow)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005 | 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by cpaggie_07
But I thought the factory y-pipe was dual 2.5" in and single 2.5" out, not 3" out? Because, isn't the factory tail pipe 2.5" diameter?

Also, could you just eliminate the y-pipe section and use a 2.5" DI/3" SO Magnaflow muffler? How would this affect performance?
Factory Y is a 2.5 complete Y. Because of the way it is made the dual end is like having two 2.5" pipes laying next to each other, actually making it wider towards the dual side. What they do is cut the single 2.5" part of the Y back far enough towards the (input) dual 2.5" part of the Y until it gives them 3". Kind of hard to explain, but a pretty smart and clean install job.

Picture this, two 2.5" pipes sitting on the ground one on top of the other. This makes the total width 5". They then have to neck down to the single 2.5" (output) side of the Y. At the very end of the output side it does measure 2.5", but the closer you cut back towards the dual side the wider the opening gets. These local independent muffler guys are pretty sharp. Some have been around for a long time. Find one and ask him about cutting the Y pipe far enough back toward the Y to get 3" for a complete 3" catback.

I bet you my next mod (whatever that will be) that he will know what you are talking about. He will also find out that he is dealing with someone that has done their homework... If your still confused let me know and I will snap some pics of my install. It is a real clean job. With the moving of the rear shocks outside the frame it also makes for plenty of room.

Yes, you could also cut the Y out completly and go dual 2.5" into the muffler single 3" out. I was told the 3" complete setup still allows you to keep your low end torque, which mine has. I am not sure what the di/so setup would give you or take away from you. I know they have mufflers made to do this.

You might ask on this site and see if someone can speak as to any performance issues with that setup. I can tell you if you go 3" catback with 5x8x18 magnaflow muffler, mandrel bent tailpipe you will be more then pleased
with what you get..

Old 08-21-2005 | 12:39 AM
exx
I have that setup except I have a flowmaster not a magnaflow. Chopped the y out completely and went into a 2.5" DI and 3" SO flowmaster 40. It definately flows extrmemely well, I no doubt noticed the flow immedialtely, as far as what it feels like it feels like it truly gained some good power especially in mid and high rpm range. As far as sound it sounds sick. Check my gallery to see pics.

Old 08-21-2005 | 01:01 AM
Hey chasman,

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see some pictures. Especially at the point where the 'Y' was cut and welded, etc. I've got a buddy who's family owns a muffler shop and a body shop as well. I'm sure they know what is up, but I'd like to know what I'm asking for before I start asking them to cut out the stock pipe. No low end probs though? 'Sounds' like a pretty solid setup--atleast to save a couple hundred clams. I'd just put that right into a CAI or a Tuner.

Old 08-21-2005 | 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by c0ckac0la
Hey chasman,

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see some pictures. Especially at the point where the 'Y' was cut and welded, etc. I've got a buddy who's family owns a muffler shop and a body shop as well. I'm sure they know what is up, but I'd like to know what I'm asking for before I start asking them to cut out the stock pipe. No low end probs though? 'Sounds' like a pretty solid setup--atleast to save a couple hundred clams. I'd just put that right into a CAI or a Tuner.
I will "get er done" (pics) sometime later today. We are going to go for a ride on the bike this morning. Keep your eyes posted here for when they show up. The weather is just too nice to pass up getting some wind in your face and some bugs in your teeth..

Old 08-21-2005 | 07:54 PM
****acOla,,

sorry, but I can't post attachments here? I guess you need to earn your wings before being able to do this? I seem to not have that privilege for some reason. If you still want a pic post your email address and I will send it to you.

Old 08-21-2005 | 09:54 PM
Hey Chas,
You gotta spell it with a zero or it just ****'s it all out. Anyway, sounds like you haven't started a gallery yet. Click on the "photo Galleries" link at the top of the page. Click the link Create Your Own Gallery! then you can upload the pictures to the gallery. After that, you just click "view photo album". Then click the the picture you want to share. After the window opens, click the "forum codes" link...after that just cut and paste the URL in to the thread. That should do it.

If you want to just email them to me, I'll add them to my gallery and you can hotlink from there: Click my User Name>view public profile and then look under contact info about send c0ckac0la an email...blah blah blah...and just shoot em over and I can post like I said.

Thanks again man!

Old 08-21-2005 | 10:38 PM
Hey *********,

That email method is no good also. There is no way to insert an attachment into the message. I haven't set up a gallery yet, too many other things to do. I have the pics saved, when I get around to setting up a gallery I'll stick them in there. It is kind of a lame deal that a person just can't insert a pic right into these post by retrieving from your hard disk. That gallery method is a pain in the **** if you ask me.

Old 08-21-2005 | 10:39 PM
yeah a lil: here just send it direct I'll set you up:

Last edited by c0ckac0la; 08-21-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2005 | 11:03 PM
Chasman97's Y pipe pictures biotch!

Here you go Chasman97:

Here are some pics of how they hooked up the 3" pipe to the Y pipe. You can see that they cut the 2.5" single side back towards the dual side to give them a wider opening. Then they reshaped the 3" pipe to match up to the Y. Apply some heat and weld and presto you have a 2.5" dual input to 3" Y.

The rest of the setup is pretty straight forward..

Chas

Old 08-21-2005 | 11:27 PM
|
Wow, that looks like some pretty sharp fabrication. I didn't know the exhaust pipes from the manifolds came together like that.

Old 08-22-2005 | 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by cpaggie_07
ONLY $450? That's a crap load of money to a college student! haha People are always looking for a cheaper route. Not that we want to do a "half ***" job, but sometimes you have to sacrifice a little quality for economy.

Also, why the hell are the truck exhaust systems so expensive? I was looking for a Magnaflow exhaust system for the 99 Mustang GT I traded in on the truck, and they cost about $360. And it's got TWO mufflers and probably the same overall length of pipe!

Dude thats what stundent loan is for, how do think I'm buying my new exhaust.

Old 08-22-2005 | 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by c0ckac0la
Hey chasman,

If it's not too much trouble, I'd like to see some pictures. Especially at the point where the 'Y' was cut and welded, etc.
heres mine

Old 08-22-2005 | 10:17 PM
Hey faster, that looks like a true-dual setup, no? I'm thinking for the 4.6 it's better to go with a little more back pressure and do the si/do or the si/so stretched a bit~ on account of low-end torque and such. Looks pretty slick though man. I definitely dig the lightning setup. I've been pretty set on the magnaflow si/do setup that looks like that, but seeing the si/so stretched for cheaper....starting to change my mind!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question (Magnaflow)