Magnaflow & Banks Monster questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005 | 11:16 PM
|
Magnaflow & Banks Monster questions

I have an 05 KR Crew that I picked up a few weeks ago, and after a brief break-in period, I will be looking for an aftermarket cat-back system. My question is to see if anyone what any opinions(pros/cons) of either, most importantly, Im looking to see what people have paid from from the internet. I went to a store in Sioux Falls today, and the idiot quoted me $1200, WTF. Please include model #'s.

Anyways, thanks in advance for your replys.

Old 08-16-2005 | 11:52 PM
I have a Magnaflow SIDO cat-back on my truck ('05 with the 5.4 engine) and I absolutely love it! I think it has the perfect combination of growl under acceleration and minimal drone at highway speeds!

The only problem is that my foot gets a little heavy because I want to hear the growl -- at $2.60 per gallon it becomes an expensive habit!

I paid around $373.00 for my kit through Hott Exhaust (ask for the F150online discount) and installed it myself.

Old 08-17-2005 | 01:24 AM
|
what model number? side out? before or after the rear tire? How hard was it to put on? was it just a matter of loosening clamps and re-hanging the new one?

Old 08-17-2005 | 10:33 AM
I have the MF 16612 SISO, comes out behind rear tire like the stock pipe. I put it on last nite, it was fairly easy. I unbolted the rubber hangers when i took off the stock exhaust, if you have a lift you may be able to put some lube on those hangers and get everything to slide off without taking them off it didn't take long maybe 2 minutes per hanger, you reuse your stock pipe coming off your cats, so make sure you get that off and bolted up before you get back under the truck. Use some kind of lube for the rubber hangers i used dawn soap and water worked great. I didnt do it taking it off but did use it putting it back on and i think if i had started out with the soapy water then i would not have had to take off the hangers. Yeah you just loosen clamps and reuse one from the stock exhaust and it comes with 3 others.
It sounds great I am really pleased its my 2nd Magnaflow and I wont ever buy anything else. I bought mine from Troyer performance(Supporting Vendor on this site) as part of their Stage 1 package, if you have the money to go ahead and get the Exhaust(MF 16612 SISO), Intake(Air Force 1) and Xcal2(programmer) its a good deal.

Last edited by MAXXIS2001SCREW; 08-17-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2005 | 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by golferdude1971
what model number? side out? before or after the rear tire? How hard was it to put on? was it just a matter of loosening clamps and re-hanging the new one?

I have the 16615 SIDO out the back. I really wanted the side exit in front of the rear tire, but shied away from it at the last minute because some guys have complained of having it "gum up" your rear tire and tire well. I have expensive rims and tires that are going to be mounted on my truck and I don't want to ruin them or create a maintenance nightmare because of my exhaust exit!

The installation itself left a lot to be desired -- I cursed and cussed at that thing for the better part of a day before I got it completed to my satisfaction, and I'm fairly handy with tools! That being said, if I had to do it a second time, the installation would go much smoother because now I know exactly what to do, how to orient the pipes, etc.

It's not a technically difficult installation -- it's just frustrating having to constantly tweak the pipes to get everything lined-up properly! If you plan on installing it yourself, make sure you have a buddy around because otherwise you'll be constantly crawling out from under the truck to run for tools!

Of course if you go with the side exit in front of the rear tire the installation should be a snap -- from the looks of it there's basically only one piece to clamp in place after you've removed the factory system!

Good luck!

Last edited by ddellwo; 08-17-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2005 | 05:40 PM
I have the exact same magnaflow setup as mentioned above (16612) 3" si/so.
The only thing is that I had a local shop get the required sections of pipe and had them install it. I had them order me a 3" mandrel bent tail pipe, they already had a 3" pipe for the input side. They cut the Y pipe back far enough to get 3" and welded the 3" input pipe to that and a 5x8x18 magnaflow muffler. Then they welded the mandrel bent tailpipe to the output of the muffler, it comes out behind the rear tire just like stock. They did not have to bend anything, they did an excellent job cost was $240.00 with tip and labor included. I love the sound, not loud at idle, perfect at cruising speed and some real bark when jumped on. Best of all there is no drone at all... I don't think you will be disappointed with what ever type of system you install, just make sure you put a magnaflow muffler in it someplace.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow & Banks Monster questions