Duals on a 4.2 V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duals on a 4.2 V6

Got a question -

Does anyone here know how true duals on a 4.2 V6 might sound? I have conflicting evidence. A Ford fanatic tells me that it sounds OK, but when I ask him if he's ever heard it before, he dodges the question. A Dodge driving buddy of mine tells me that it sounds very weak on the 4.2 V6 Fords unless the converter is messed with and/or changed out to one that isn't as "good" as the stock converter.

But, wouldn't this reduce my mileage? The reason why I am thinking of doing true duals is because of the gas mileage addition anyway (yes, I know it could be as little as 1-2mpg difference).

Does anyone here have indisputable evidence that a 4.2 sounds good or bad? I know that a lot of it has to do with the muffler, but there's only so much a muffler can do with the reverb coming from the engine. Thanks guys.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:41 PM
not to good

I had an 02" with the 4.2L and i put dual exhaust on it. It sounded better than any other v6 truck but it still wasnt that great. I actually thought my gas milage went down if anything. I ended up putting the stock muffler back on because i was unhappy with it.

Old 09-05-2005, 06:10 PM
I have duels on my 4.2 and sound ok. It really depends on type of setup you get.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 AM
i got duals on my 4.9 and it sounds great, i also heard exhaust on a 5.0 truck that was ran out the side and it sounded horrible, it should sound good on a 4.2, i went with a 40 series SI/DO. good luck man

Quick Reply: Duals on a 4.2 V6