NEWBIE HERE need help choosing exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005 | 07:17 PM
|
Question NEWBIE HERE need help choosing exhaust

i have a 99 f150 4.6 4 door short bed 4x4 off road. it has stock exhaust on it now. but i am looking for something real loud and that will give me better performance. i would like to have true duals but dont wanna mess with headers or anything like that. is there anyway i could just get the pipes cut before the y pipe and have true duals come out the back? also which mufflers would you reccomend. i am looking to do it for around 350 to 400. would just a local muffler shop be able to do this?
anyone have any sound clips of a 4.6 with true duals. i want it real loud at crank and all the time. also i live in pa so it has to be emmissions legal which just means you need a cat and a muffler. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
jesse

Old 09-08-2005 | 08:21 PM
i got a friend that just had a Y pipe and twin tips out the back, he dint mess with the cats or anything and all of them r still there. it sounds gr8 it , i dont know exactly how loud u want it but his is loud enough to be heard comin ang goin down the road, if ya want loud cut off ur cats and run true duals

Old 09-08-2005 | 10:08 PM
I love my borla.

Old 09-09-2005 | 12:09 PM
Sounds like you want the same set up I have on my truck then. I went to a muffler shop had them cut the y pipe out and ran two pipes off after the cats so it is smog legal, and had duals run out the sides in the back at a 45 degree angle. I am having an H pipe put in and some IMCO extreme 1 chamber mufflers when I get back from the sand box, but while they are doing your exhaust have them put in A H or an X pipe, do a search for it on here and you can decide which one you want. That will keep your low end torque from suffering. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions just shoot me an email and I'll be glad to help. If you want a sound clip go to www.grabthepower.com you can hear how good the IMCO mufflers sound.

Old 09-09-2005 | 12:54 PM
go with IMCO!!

Old 09-15-2005 | 04:30 PM
I had true duals put on my 4.6, have two Raven glasspacks with an H-pipe, it sounds killer.

Old 09-15-2005 | 07:42 PM
Borla, Borla, Borla

Old 09-15-2005 | 10:59 PM
I have stock manifolds, 3 inch true duals from there back, with a pair of jeep 6cyl cats (they are tiny) and a pair of flowmaster 40 series mufflers. I don't think you could do it for less than 800 or so, unless you ahve a buddy with a shop or the guy at meineke needs something you can provide

Old 09-16-2005 | 08:29 PM
98Navi....Question

Hey 98...
Can you tell me more about your setup with the Jeep Cats (I am new and assuming these are catalytic converters)?
I am doing my due diligence in trying to get the right set-up for my 1998 F150 and was intrigued by your use of the Jeep converter.
Can you explain your reasoning on this?
I am not looking for anything other than maybe a bit more punch off the start and a modest increase in mileage...coupled with a throatier sound.
Your thoughts...and others are appreciated.
Best,
JB

Old 09-17-2005 | 05:32 PM
exhaust

hey man,
im in the same boat right now. ive got 98 5.4 short bed 4x4. i want it loud. im torn between buying new cats or will it would be loud enough withthe stocks and cutting out that y. im lookin at thos imco extremes. if you get a good idea let me now!

thanks and good luck
steve.

Old 09-18-2005 | 04:32 PM
Well, when I built this exhaust I was running a blower. I was, preparing for one day, and fortunately that day has come and I have one so it all worked out. Anyway, a buddy of mine runs a shop that does custom exhaust. I kinda had the bug in my *** to start messing with my wifes nav, so I asked him about it and searched for parts for a day or two thereafter. The nav had 4 cats, rather large, assumably the same as your F-150 does, and they just didn't fit into my master plan. The reason we selected the Jeep 258 6cyl cats (yes that is the converters) is that 1) They are small and easy to fit in there (I have a 4x4 nav, its tight) 2) Being that they are small, they flow super high. I think they are magnaflow cats. I don't personally care for magnaflow, but I got them at Wholesale cost of 59.99 each. Ran one on each side, and kept the O2 sensor in its current position. Now, realize, that the 3 inch pipe is vital to the tone of the exhaust. If you have it crapping out a 2 inch pipe, its not gonna sound that great. But when you get up to mondo 3 inch, it has lots of room to play. The one thing I didn't do that I didn't have room for was an equalization tube (h-pipe) I just couldn't make it work, and had heard that that would sound like duelling 4 cylinders. NOT the case. Mine sounds nothing like two four cylinders, it sounds just like a supercharged stallion or an F-150 (neighbor has one set up nice thats loud as hell) that goes by my house sometimes. I havfe some pics at my site, if you want to see some more I will take some and post them.

http://navigatorfourms.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=4

Quick Reply: NEWBIE HERE need help choosing exhaust