97 F150 4.6 exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005 | 03:49 PM
|
97 F150 4.6 exhaust questions

Hi All,

The rest of my '97 OEM exhaust has finally let go.
I put a Gibson cat back on it a couple of years ago. Now the manifold clamp studs have rotted off and it is leaking on the left side.
I gave a yank to the egr pipe and it came off in my hand.
Upon inspection that left manifold will have to be replaced. The egr port is rusted all the way through. If I replace one side I may as well do both sides.
The question I have is should I replace the exhaust manifolds with stock manifolds, aftermarket manifolds,or headers?
I don't have any super chips or anything on the engine besides a cold air intake.
I know that as soon as I get everything fixed on this truck the frame is going to break or something like that.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Emission

Old 10-11-2005 | 04:07 PM
How much do you want to spend?

If you want to get running on the cheap, you might be able to find someone that put headers on and has a good set of stock mani's to give away or cheap sale.

If headers are in your future, there's many to choose from. I like the Gibson stainless headers.

While you're in there, check the EGR valve, and all that other stuff. The catalytic converters might be plugged and need replacement. Check and replace them with hi-flow cats if you're going to do the front part of the exhaust from headers and new cats through the old gibson cat-back (if the cat-back is still ok).

Aluminum head + cast iron mani + steel bolts are always fun, be sure to use plenty of penetrating stuck bolt oil before turning the wrenches or the bolt may get stuck in the head and be a real bear to get out.

Old 10-12-2005 | 02:20 AM
|
I got the fender well covers off tonight and started in with the PB Blaster on the nuts. The nuts are as bad as any I have ever seen. I may just see if I can find some manifolds on eBay or something.
I'm getting tired of putting money in to this truck. Not that the truck itself has been bad it's just the frame is really rusty and I don't have much hope for it lasting a whole lot longer.
Within the last two years I have replaced the gas tank,all of the brake lines,the rear brake drums and shoes,the front discs and calipers,the starter,the main drive shaft ,the front drive shaft,the shocks,the exhaust from the cats back,the upper control arms on both sides,the lower ball joints on both sides,the inner and outer tie rods,the center link,the pitman arm,the transfer case shifting linkage, the torsion bars and adjusters plus the subframe the adjusters sit in,the filler pipe and cap,the spare tire winch,and the headlights. The only thing I changed by choice was the cold air intake everything else was due to corrosion.
If the frame was good it would probably last another 90,000 miles!

Quick Reply: 97 F150 4.6 exhaust questions