once and for all

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005 | 02:42 AM
|
once and for all

Ive been reading some of the threads here and still cannot come to a conclusion.2v 5.4 whats louderIMCO, straight pipes, or 1 chamber flow. From these which has a better tone I want the loudest possible good sounding tone something like 40 series flows but louder help

Old 11-10-2005 | 03:47 AM
i have a 2000 5.4 with true dual and blown out 12 inch glass packs.. my tips are 3.5 inch stainless out the corners (45's) its pretty loud. to make it louder i could cut out the pre cats but dont have the ambition so its good for me. nice tone too

Old 11-10-2005 | 12:31 PM
Either of the 1 chamber mufflers (Flowmaster or IMCO) will be the loudest.

Old 11-10-2005 | 01:42 PM
IMO if you want the loudest, best performing, and great sounding exhaust you should replace the stock four cats with two high flow cats and go with a custom made 2.5" TRUE DUAL cat-back system using two high quaility 2-chamber mufflers. Any other way you will have to sacrifice something whether it be sound quaility, performance, or loudness. This will also be the most expensive way to do it. Most people are not willing to spend this kind of money. I sacrificed the loudness and went with the flowmaster cat-back system using a Super 40 series muffler to gain some loudness without sacrificing performance. Out of these things, I feel the loudness is the least important. Performance and sound quality is and should always be the most important. You will always lose some of the loudness using a SIDO muffler.

Last edited by vtxking; 11-10-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2005 | 02:46 PM
If you really want it that loud, then a 1 chamber muffler is going to get you the bang you're looking for. Brand is really irrelevant. I prefer Flowmaster, some prefer IMCO, and others like other brands. Removing at least 2 of the four cats is necassary to achieve what you want though, whether its through gutting them or cutting them out

Old 11-10-2005 | 05:35 PM
|
thanx yall... ? Which are the precats the ones comin out of the headers or the ones that are closer to the muffler R these the ones I should remove? If its the ones near the muffler can I just take out the one directly behind the muffler or do I need to take em both out to hear a difference once again thanx

Old 11-11-2005 | 01:52 PM
Pre-cats (as stated) would be the first two in the stream, closest to the manifolds. I think its based more on where the rear 02 sensors are located as to which ones you should remove, as to the heater circuit malfunction possible with increased flow. I have always had the first two cut out and straight pipe welded in.