JBA headers & SIDO Install w' StreetTrucks Magazine Article (long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBA headers & SIDO Install w' StreetTrucks Magazine Article (long)

I apologize for the long post in advance. Many of you know how I've been working with the R&D team for JBA performance exhaust. This effort has gone back several months now from mock-up, to production, to install and Dyno.

Mock-up: I placed an email to the R&D department on Aug. 24th and got a response back the very next day from Jon Towers. We scheduled an appt. for me to leave the truck for about a week. When I picked it up, Jon and I got to talking about what else they had in the way of after-market exhaust products. I asked about the possibility of giving me a break on the header install and a break if I went with them on a Cat-back setup as well. He gave me the numbers and I told him I get back to him about all that...

Production: Jon kept in touch pretty well, he emailed or called me back anytime I emailed or called him. I tried not to be a PITA because I knew he had nothing to do with the time frame. So I shot over another email on Nov 9 and he told me it was a top priority for them, and that I should expect to hear back from him in about 3-4 weeks. Much to my surprise, less than 20 days later, he called left a voicemail saying they were ready to go and they were hoping for an install date of around Dec. 9th. With that though, we still had more to discuss. He told me that there was a magazine that was interested in doing an article on the truck. But they really wanted to see the full line of JBA products on my truck, so we agreed to have a Cat-back SIDO installed on the truck with the Headers.

Install/Dyno: So I met with Mark Mathews, Bruce Tucker, and the rest of the JBA Racing team out in Kearny Mesa. I dropped off my truck at about 8:30am on Friday. The immediately went to work and took a baseline Dyno pull. They worked on it all day until I got there at about 4:30pm. After everything was buttoned up, and the truck warmed up, they took another DYNO pull. They had wanted to take a pull between the Header and Exhaust install, but they were running out of time and decided against it. Travis Noack, editor of StreetTrucks Magazine, took a couple hundred digital photos for the magazine including one awesome burnout shot at the end of the night! Then they took the final two pulls. --The results will follow in next post--

A special thanks to DevilSun for giving me the heads-up on this--I gotta get that address from you again man...The beer is getting warm!

Also thanks to Doug at JBA for doing the wrenching on the truck and the sick *** burnout! He p|ssed off the Bike shop next door, but it was worth it!! I highly recommend the guys at the JBA Racing Shop for ANY Ford owner. I really got the feeling from the parking lot---Cobra Mustang, F150 HD, F350 SD, Ranger, F150-with a custom 5.4 Lightening Rebuild, Steeda Mustang---that these guys love their Fords. These guys cater to Military guys doing restorations, Ford Trucks guys like ourselves, and everybody inbetween.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Dyno Results Overview

I will try to get graphs and easy to read charts and stuff from Mark sometime next week. Hopefully, I'll be able to post something before the magazine comes out. I know they are working with one another to get the information out there, and I definitely don't want to steal there thunder. I'll give the summary here and follow-up along the way, all numbers are at the wheel:

Max HP (Base--No Mod's):203.2 @4557 RPM
Max Tq (Base--No Mod's):268 @3314 RPM

Max HP (JBA Headers & SIDO exhaust):212.2 @4505 RPM
Max Tq (JBA Headers & SIDO exhaust):297 @3210 RPM

The article is suppose to come out in the March edition--I'll have more details as to when and where as I get them from Travis.

Edit: 2005 F150 4.6L XLT 4x2

Last edited by c0ckac0la; 12-12-2005 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Forgot YM&M
Old 12-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Nice, too bad the 5.4 guys will think the numbers are BS, oh well, i know they are legit seeing from what my motor can do it

Old 12-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Either way, I have the dyno page's raw data I can put up here if anyone can interpret it. I'll try to get a nice flashy graph from the Speed Shop to make it all nice and pretty as soon as I can get it. The 5.4 guys shouldn't disbelieve, they should be encouraged that such great numbers could come from my lil' 4.6 and be stoked with what results they might get.

If I can figure it out, I'll try and post some audio/video clips here tomorrow or Tuesday--I will need a good host site, any ideas? Than everyone can here for themselves!

Old 12-12-2005, 01:34 PM
Very nice C! Congrats on the install completion and all that good stuff. As far as where to host, http://www.putfile.com/

Old 12-12-2005, 05:02 PM

Sorry about the previous numbers, they were taken from the wrong baseline number...

Last edited by c0ckac0la; 12-12-2005 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Error With File...
Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Wow, nice peak gain for sure!

Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Nice!

Old 01-14-2006, 12:04 AM
New Pictures

I updated my Gallery to include some choice photos. I'll get more soon...plus audio very soon I promise!!!

Old 02-11-2006, 03:49 AM
Magazine Article Update!!!

Just a heads up for everyone following the header and catback exhaust install:

The ScrewInBlue is now featured in this month's edition of StreetTrucks Magazine. It is the March 2006 Issue #78. I picked a couple copies up at 7-11 for about $5 bucks. They did about a 5 page write-up including 30 step-by-step photos. It's a pretty sick article if I do say so myself--So check it out!!

The guys at the JBA shop in San Diego and I have been working out the few SNAFU's here and there, but overall I frickin' stoked about the power difference. Gas mileage has improved a bit--hard to accurately gauge as the winter gas was out soon after the install. --And the exhaust note...All I can say guys is "F'in A, Cotton...F'in A!" I have nothing but rave reviews for the guys at the shop and their awesome service. Yes--I did get hooked up quite a bit--but none-the-less, I always felt like a paying customer.

My signature features the picture that they chose to cover the article with. A bit of fog never hurt anyone!!

If you guys have any questions about the whole deal let me know.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Old 02-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Very nice, congrats on it! Enjoy! JBA has always treated me real well, so I can't complain.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks DS, did you get my email? I sent one about the beer and the fedex snafu. Maybe when I'm up around Redding I'll cross over the stateline and buy you a beer at your favorite bar!

Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 AM
Here is a video of a 0-60ish run with the windows rolled down. It's at night so you can't see much and I took it with my digital camera so as it turns out, the sound isn't as loud on the video---but I think you can get the jist.

Click here to watch 0-60-Mph-JBA-headers-and-Catback

This one is just two blasts on the throttle near the end of the video--about 31 seconds in. Sorry I didn't edit out the other garbage...

Click here to watch throttle-play

Old 02-16-2006, 12:16 AM
Here is another video during the daytime...Enjoy!

Click here to watch Uphill-behind-a-dee-dee-dee-old-lady

Oh BTW, I added some pictures of the actual headers as installed in the truck. Check out my sig. to view gallery.

Quick Reply: JBA headers & SIDO Install w' StreetTrucks Magazine Article (long)