Muffler vs Catback

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006 | 09:31 PM
|
Question Muffler vs Catback

Hey Guys,

So, I've searched through the threads and haven't found a definitive answer for this...

Can someone explain to me how significant a Catback Exhaust is over just changing to a performance muffler?

How will torque and HP be affected by each, if at all?

Any comments?

E

Old 03-02-2006 | 09:48 PM
go for a cat-back mandrel bent system if you want sound plus power/torque increase

just swapping the muffler will add minimal performance, but it will give you a deeper sound.

hope that helps

Old 03-02-2006 | 09:55 PM
|
Originally Posted by Drizzle
go for a cat-back mandrel bent system if you want sound plus power/torque increase

just swapping the muffler will add minimal performance, but it will give you a deeper sound.

hope that helps
Thanks for your input.

I'm curious to know if a catback will make a noticeable difference.

I'm looking at, let's say, a brand "M" muffler installed for about $200ish, vs a brand "M" Catback installed for about $550.

For those who have installed a muffler, then gone to a catback, would you do it again?

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:11 PM
my exhaust is kinda the opposite

I started out with an expensive Gibson SS Dual Sport catback

that was too quiet

I had an IMCO muffler swapped in, in place of the Gibson muffler. I was able to keep my SS Gibson tailpipes and tips, but the new muffler made it alot louder. don't know if it helped power wise, but I got the sound I was looking for.

do you want yours to be loud, quiet, or what? which muffler and catback are you looking at?

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:18 PM
Suspended for Violation of Vendor Terms
As someone who sells both, I generally sell more catbacks than anything. What do you want out of your system?

If you want more power, you need the bigger pipes of a new cat-back. A full 3" system will give you the most power, the most sound, some people even say they get better gas mileage.

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ernster500
Thanks for your input.

I'm curious to know if a catback will make a noticeable difference.

I'm looking at, let's say, a brand "M" muffler installed for about $200ish, vs a brand "M" Catback installed for about $550.

For those who have installed a muffler, then gone to a catback, would you do it again?
Ernster500,
I think you could save a few hundred bucks going with a Maganflow system www.hottexhaust.com has some great prices on catbacks use the cupon code fordtruck8 takes off around 100$ any catback system! goodluck with what you go with

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:27 PM
|
Originally Posted by Evan@DEMAND
What do you want out of your system?
I'm looking for better sound, first off. Basically, a nice aggressive tone on acceleration with a serious bark at WOT, but, I'd like it mellow in the cab while cruising at highway speeds.

As far as power, more power would be good, but, I don't want to lose, let's say, torque. And I'd like it to be cost effective, without compromising quality.

Is the stock exhaust system stainless steel, by the way?

hehe... in re-reading that, it looks like I want everything in one package!

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:31 PM
Heres a clip of my truck on a cold day. http://media.putfile.com/Magnaflow-16614
and a video of WOT in the cab http://media.putfile.com/Xcal2-0-6019

Last edited by FX4 Matt; 03-02-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-02-2006 | 10:32 PM
I was going to suggest IMCO until you said you wanted it quiet in the cabin

you might be best suited with a magnaflow system

Old 03-03-2006 | 01:24 AM
Suspended for Violation of Vendor Terms
It sounds like you want a Magnaflow system, that's actually what I have as well and I'm really fond of it. It's got a nice deep tone at idle and while driving, but it really opens up whenever you stomp on it.

Of course you get a good deal added power.

Old 03-03-2006 | 07:35 AM
APT
Let me put things into perspective.

Testing has shown no more than 5hp/lb-ft improvement at any engine speed for any muffler swap on and F-150. Testing has also shown no more than 20hp/lb-ft for the best cat-back systems.

If you are considering letting an exhaust shop custom bend your pipes, keep in mind they have no idea how each bend of the pipe affects performance because they do not test them. Some cat-back systems are engineered, tested, and re-engineered to optimize performance. Once a design is proven, it is mass produced to get consistent performacne for every system for any given vehicle it is desiend for. That's partially why cat-back systems cost more than custom work, because the extra research and development done up front.

Every muffler design/brand has a unique tone.

The prices you were quoted are very high. The muffler should be <$80 and 30 minutes for install by any local shop. The cat-back system is <$400 shipped and you can bolt it up in <1h or pay a shop to do it in 30 minutes.

Old 03-03-2006 | 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by FX4 Matt
Heres a clip of my truck on a cold day. http://media.putfile.com/Magnaflow-16614
hey matt, are you able to do a more everyday type run to get the feel for the sound in the cab....ie:normal pulling out and cruise with windows up and maybe down......most of us want to make sure the cabin noise isn't to bad.....also anyone not like the sound when towing?

Old 03-03-2006 | 05:49 PM

Matt... I would second the motion for the run at 55- 65 and 70 MPH on an Interstate.. I want to install some sort of system but like everyone else I want primary the sound.. but no highway drone..

I have had the misforune of dinking with a muffer on a bike and loved the sound everywhere except after 3 hours on the interstate.. Had to spend money to fix it.. again....

I am not looking for HP or torgue gains.. the number that we are throwing around I won't feel..

Jack

Old 03-03-2006 | 06:12 PM
yea I'll get post a sound clip around 8 or so tonight

Old 03-03-2006 | 06:23 PM
yea I'll get post a sound clip around 8 or so tonight
What a guy. Thanks...

Jack

Quick Reply: Muffler vs Catback