What's the loudest side-exit cat back system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the loudest side-exit cat back system?

What's the most hairy knuckled, fire breathin, bad a$$ rumblin side exit cat back system out there?

Gibson Super Truck?

Borla?

Bassani?

What else is out there? Which one sounds the deepest and loudest? I prefer stainless steel and something that is designed to work with my engine, not some custom crush bent muffler shop contraption.

Oh, and I have a 2001 4.6L V8

thanks

Last edited by Drizzle; 03-10-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:31 PM
A set of long tubes and a DI/DO Muffler... I hear Borla's are fairly DEEP sounding.

This aint a catback system though.....

Old 03-10-2006, 05:58 PM
any more opinions?
Anyone have the Gibson Super truck on their 4.6? How does it sound?

Old 03-10-2006, 07:32 PM
I have a borla, more depth than loudness...

Old 03-17-2006, 05:47 PM
I have MAC side exit, and its pretty throaty and loud at Wide open throttle and has an amazing tone from about 3000 rpm's on up. What I like the most about it is that its fairly quiet at highway cruising speeds. But if you lay into it everyone knows it.

Old 03-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Thumbs up My .02 cents

I have the Gibson Supertruck on my truck and like it alot. It looks very nice with the squared off stainless tips, get compliments on it all the time. As for the sound, it has a nice rumble when you start the truck and while its idling. Under hard acceleration you definitely and obviously know it is there, but what I like most about the Gibson is that while just cruising down the highway (not accelerating), the sound is not very intrusive. I can still hold a conversation or easily listen to talk radio (getting older I guess). Not sure if it is the fire breathing one you are talking about or not, but figured I'd let you know what my experience is with Gibson and let you make your own decision. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:35 PM
I've heard most exhausts that are available for these trucks -- Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Raven, IMCO -- and nothing even comes close to just plain ol' straight-pipes for what you describe. You can hear them from a couple of blocks away, and that's with just regular everyday-style driving.

I was in your shoes a couple of times. On my '97 4.6 I've had straight-pipes for about six years now. I simply Y'ed it before the stock muffler location and ran 2.5" pipes straight out the rear with 3.5"x18" tips under the bumper. To my ears this sounds perfect -- tone- and volume-wise. Now, I could only assume that by running dual exits, one in front of each tire, it would be even louder (especially with some 4" tips).

Now with my '05 I've had to try a couple of different setups. The first was just a SI/SO 14" cased Magnaflow -- too droney for me. Next I went with straight-pipes, the same configuration except with tips exiting right behind each rear tire -- sounded awesome, but way too loud for my neighbors (plus I'm getting a little older).
So, I finally settled on a SI/DO 14" cased Magnaflow with tips straight outta the rear under the bumper. For me this setup just about right -- nice deep, mellow rumble without being too obnoxious.

Just my opinion, but the tips (and pipe size to an extent) can really play a large part in the tone, as well as volume. Nice, big tips really seem to complement the tone...kinda giving it that deep, mellow, loping V-8 signature sound; also while acting somewhat like a megaphone and amplifying the volume. Whereas smaller tips (*especially* the pencil tips) tend to brighten the tone making it sound more like it's 'spitting' (the best way I know to describe it), not to mention quite a bit less volume.

Quick Reply: What's the loudest side-exit cat back system?