97 4X$, 5.4 SC, LB Which Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006 | 03:05 PM
|
97 4X4, 5.4 SC, LB Which Exhaust?

Hi Guys,

Well, I finally need to consider replacing my stock exhaust system after 176K. I have the rotted out studs on the manifold to contend with, and it looks like there's a hole beginning in front of the muffler.

I was thinking stock exhaust, but might do aftermarket. Who makes a complete system for the SC with a long bed? Stainless? Installation issues?

Thanks.

Last edited by EsoxShep; 04-07-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-07-2006 | 06:24 PM
Hey!

If you've got rusted studs on the manifold you might need a torch to heat them up before taking the nuts off. As for replacing the old exhaust it might be easier to make an appointment at you local exhaust pros and have them put new on for a pretty good price. I had Dual Exhaust put on my 2002 F150 S-Cab Short Box with Stainless Steel tips strait piped with no mufflers for about 165.00. With mufflers it was 205.00

Old 04-09-2006 | 02:22 AM
From: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Originally Posted by EsoxShep
Hi Guys,

Well, I finally need to consider replacing my stock exhaust system after 176K. I have the rotted out studs on the manifold to contend with, and it looks like there's a hole beginning in front of the muffler.

I was thinking stock exhaust, but might do aftermarket. Who makes a complete system for the SC with a long bed? Stainless? Installation issues?

Thanks.
Which bolts?? there is a repair kit at napa for the exhaust flange bolts for a couple bucks. Or you could just blow some new holes with a torch. If they ware the bolts on the block well all i can say is good fin luck with them...

Old 04-12-2006 | 10:39 AM
|
The rusted bolts are on the flange to the pipes. The studs into the heads, look to be in OK shape.

$165 for welded stainless from your local shop? hmmmm. I will check into that.

It doesn't appear that Borla, Magnaflow, or any of the typical characters make a cat-back for a supercab, long bed.

Old 04-14-2006 | 05:35 AM
From: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
The rusted bolts are on the flange to the pipes. The studs into the heads, look to be in OK shape.

It doesn't appear that Borla, Magnaflow, or any of the typical characters make a cat-back for a supercab, long bed.
I took some 1/2 threaded rod heated it up and bent my own hook type bolts for the exhaust maifold flange. Its real easy to do.

Old 04-17-2006 | 11:01 PM

wat u would have to end up doing is adding a small piece of piping somewhere. some kits offer this as an option. if it was up to me i would say go to your local muffler shop and have your own catback made that way you get exactly what you want.

Quick Reply: 97 4X$, 5.4 SC, LB Which Exhaust?