Aero Turbine Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a quote from Bud's Performance Muffler Shop in Denver. We are not talking about a small operation. Check out the Website.

"In 2004, we worked on 4792 vehicles. That makes us one of the busiest Exhaust Shops in the country for the 49th consecutive year!
Bud's Muffler Service specializes in all of your exhaust needs. The fact that we are an independent family owned and operated business keeps us searching for new ways to satisfy our customers. We are staffed with a couple of service writers with over 60 of years combined experience. We have five exhaust technicians who have combined over 90 years of knowledge. Let's not forget Bud who has seen many changes in exhaust systems from the day he began this business in 1955." They have a least 9 large bays and their tech's work full shifts every day.

And as far as the Pink F-150. Someone who is a member of this forum has one. It was pictured in one of the thread answers either this month or last. Don't know who it was. Let me ask you this, if a dealership offered you a new F-150 Lariat 4X4 5.4 and it was pink, would you take it? Just wondering? Could always say it was your wife's!

I am positive about the number of exhausts installed by this Business. Make it easy on yourself, call Bud, or pull up his website. Also, you will see a huge number of the installations and then make your own opinion based on real research. It is www.budsmuffler.com. This group is really hard to convince!!!

Let me know what you think once you have visited this site. You will be impressed. Mert

Old 07-25-2006, 10:48 AM
Nice site, wish I had one in my area. But I do find alot of that marketing hype, 20% better fuel economy the aero claims and they note fuel economy several times.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Merton Leeper
Let me ask you this, if a dealership offered you a new F-150 Lariat 4X4 5.4 and it was pink, would you take it? Just wondering? Could always say it was your wife's!
Sure I'd take it, then I'd sell it. I'm not ashamed to move money. But I would reject it as my own and would not keep it, OR I'd get it painted a color that suits me. If a member here has a pink truck more power to them....but that is NOT even a color option in my book for such a vehicle. I nor my wife work for Mary Kay or whatever that cosmetics company is with a bunch of pink vehicles. Hey, wait a minute, would the rims be pink too?? (I might have to keep it in that case).

I trust you on the exhaust people, no need for me to call. That just seemed like a really BIG number.

Last edited by doctorD; 07-25-2006 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Just kidding with you doctorD. I would also take the truck directly to a custom paint dealer and get it painted a deep highland green or something I like. White or Black colors are also good for me. Good talking to you. Mert

Old 07-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Just took a look at the website. Its an interesting concept. I would be interested in some hard numbers from a dyno run compared to a stock exhaust on our trucks.

Socal is correct that when you slow down the velocity of a gas flow the pressure will increase assuming temperature remains constant. The way I read the claims on the website is that use of this airfoil cone and expansion inside the muffler will decrease the pressure at the inlet of the muffler. This doesn't violate the laws of physics since they are making the claims at the inlet where the gas has not slowed down not inside the muffler itself where the gases have expanded, velocity has slowed, and pressures have increased.

I haven't been able to find any hard evidence on the website regarding HP or torque gains. I'm quite skeptical of any advertising without some dyno plots to back it up. I'm also even more skeptical of big gains in MPG such as 22% (18 to 22 MPG) on Eclipse they claim. The stock exhaust had to be pretty bad to get that kind of improvement!

Hotwire has a good point regarding the NASCAR bit. Most of this just comes down to money for the rights to use the NASCAR logo. On NASCAR's behalf though, they would be burned by negative publicity if the product was total crap, but as long as the build quality is ok then that won't happen.

The use of all of the racing advertisement should be taken worth a grain of salt. Races engines are designed to produce HP and torque in a fairly narrow high RPM range. This has very little to do with modern production cars. It is pretty easy to hurt your low end torque with an aftermarket exhaust. It may sound great and produce more power on the high end, but lets face it for 99%of us these trucks are driven on and off road and spend most of the time below 3000 rpm. Only a special few run a race tuned Lightening only on the track where the rpm's are kept high. Lucky bastards! Another fact is that these gains or losses are usually so small that your seat of the pants dyno will most likely not be able to tell the difference and your brain is biased towards wanting an improvement so you will most likely feel one whether it is there or not. The general rule of thumb I have heard is that anything less than 10% will most likely not be felt only seen in the dyno or 1/4 mile times unless you do HP mods for a living.

I would be willing to try one and get a dyno run done, but it would be useless for comparison since I already have an aftermarket exhaust and it is rusted full of holes! I do need an exhaust and I'm leaning towards the Magnaflow. Magnaflow clearly posts dyno plots for the exhaust system on my truck. Troyer says he has worked with numerous aftermarket exhaust systems and the Magnaflow gave the best overall gains across the entire RPM range not just high end. I might give him a call and see if he has seen this Aeroturbine in action.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Cross:

It is great to see that you have done some research, visited the site, and pondered its descriptions and claims. Thanks! Your analysis of how we at this site generally drive is correct - we are not driving race tuned vehicles capable of 6 second quarter miles.

In fact, I am fairly well convinced that the key to added performance is this; you choose your SI/SO muffler you want and have the Catback point of confluence increased to 3". That is: From the Cats, generally where they join a standard 3" pipe fits, then goes to the muffler, and exits with a 3" pipe to the tip. My tip is 4". We all gauge performance from stock unless we're into the race tuned field, thus, any improvement is super great.

I could not gauge how a maggie, flowmaster, or borla would provide much more or much less performance for the normal driver because I have never had any of these after market products.

It is us, the owners, who have this 'thing' about our trucks that decide what brand is best for us. Like FORD - I just would not buy anything else in a truck or SUV. A car, that is another thing - don't know what quality is out there or options. I chose a Aero Turbine and an aFe full intake system, they were installed at the same time, and I noticed a huge difference in performance. That means that the factory system is not as good as the aftermarket products.

Not a scientific analysis, but probably close to the truth. I have talked to Mike Troyer. He sells other products and will stand by them fully. I would to! I am going to buy a tuner from him! To get the scoop on other products, there are other sources of information. It still gets down to choice and what sounds and feels good!

Thanks for your informative analysis.

Mert

Old 07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
No problem. Sometimes I get a little wordy, but I'm an engineer so it comes with the territory. The combination of a exhaust and intake installed at the same time should get you some noticable improvements. Taken together you should get between 10 to 15% improvement. I asked the sales team at Troyer and they really didn't know anything about the aero exhaust. I'll try searching a few other places and if I can turn up anything concrete I will let you know.

Now if I can get my truck fixed, maybe I can get that exhaust, electric fans, and pulleys installed! Thats another story though.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247998

Quick Reply: Aero Turbine Exhaust System