Aero Turbine Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Aero Turbine Exhaust System

After a huge amount of research over the past year, I decided to have an Aero Turbine Exhaust System installed & an aFe air intake. I have to tell you that this system, the #3030 is unbelievable. Sounds like true duals, but is a SI/SO and provides lots of extra power at the low end. All pipes are 3". The combination of both systems provides about 20 to 24 extra horse power and bosts an extra two miles per gallon (we'll see). Will drive thru the mountains tommorrow and test the high end performance.

Bud's Muffler on Santa Fe Blvd. in Denver did the installation. If you want lots of information on the Aero Turbine check the Aero Turbine web site. You will be amazed at the technology which hit the market only four years ago in earnest.

So, when you look at the Maggies, Flowmasters, Borla, etc. add the Aero Turbine before you make a final decision. Dodge truck people are going bonkers over this system. Let me know your opinions?

Semper Fi

Last edited by Merton Leeper; 07-20-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Originally Posted by Merton Leeper
After a huge amount of research over the past year, I decided to have an Aero Turbine Exhaust System installed & an aFe air intake. I have to tell you that this system, the #3030 is unbelievable. Sounds like true duals, but is a SI/SO and provides lots of extra power at the low end. All pipes are 3". The combination of both systems provides about 20 to 24 extra horse power and bosts an extra two miles per gallon (we'll see). Will drive thru the mountains tommorrow and test the high end performance.

Bud's Muffler on Santa Fe Blvd. in Denver did the installation. If you want lots of information on the Aero Turbine check the Aero Turbine web site. You will be amazed at the technology which hit the market only four years ago in earnest.

So, when you look at the Maggies, Flowmasters, Borla, etc. add the Aero Turbine before you make a final decision. Dodge truck people are going bonkers over this system. Let me know your opinions?

Semper Fi
You shoulda searched here first. Aeroturbine is right up there with things like the Turbonator. The "science" that they discuss on their site is BS. Their claims violate several of the laws of thermodynamics (a muffler is a passive device - go from there).

That being said, it will probably flow better than stock. And if you like the sound and you are happy then that is cool.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Jeeps & Fords:

The proof is in the pudding. I will be the first to tell you the quality of the system. Stay tuned - Unless you can speak from experience regarding the Aero Turbine, then your opinion is all you have. Go to some of the Dodge Truck sites and read on - they have a totally different opinion. So - stay tuned and I will provide you with the facts, positive or negative.

Semper Fi

Old 07-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I never said it was bad quality - I'm simply questioning their marketing tactics. If you look at TB spacers and Turbonators, they are all well made, but that does not mean they work as advertised.

And you are listening to a bunch of guys who bought Dodge trucks? Seems that their purchase decision would take them off my list of smart people.

From a posting on another forum...

Dr. Lee says:

This is a fake.

1. Their explanation violates the Bernoulli Principle. When the exhaust expands and slows down, its kinetic energy is converted to potential energy and the pressure INCREASES, not decreases.

2. It violates the FIRST law of thermodynamics, as well as the Second law (which most scams do). The First law is conservation of energy. The incoming exhaust has a certain kinetic energy of mass times velocity squared. This muffler is a PASSIVE device - there is no additional source of energy input to it. Yet they claim the exhaust exits FASTER. Same mass, more velocity, more energy. VIOLATION !!

3. They talk a good game about being better than a straight pipe, but all the comparisons are to "stock exhaust systems". It is easy to make a muffler with less restriction than stock, even FloMaster can do it !! And a lot of the gains are fractional. Just test-to-test variations could account for that, and they could be cherry-picking the favorable tests, if they even ran tests.

Remember, the truth is an absolute defense to a libel charge, and Dr. Lee is not worried.

Dr. Lee

Old 07-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Jeeps & Fords:
First of all I am not a Dodge fan in any way. But I do have an open mind and an enquiring mind. I do not know what you are referring to when you say turbonator.

But it is like this, if you are a lefty with a closed mind, then you most likely will only trust those on the left (like Kennedy/Pelosi) or if you are a righty then you believe in the mandate of the right (President/Congress).

The point is what you have I may think is CRAP but it may or may not be - Use your intelligence a little - start by not trying to batter those who may have differing opinions than yours. Expand your small mind a little!!!

The point of this forum is not to belittle each other, it is to expand your knowledge about the Ford Trucks and associated products. Each individual has their own opinions. Tell me who is Dr. Lee. How he qualifies his opinion and the facts associated with his study. Then enquire with NASCAR about this product, and others. Then go find the product, look at it, and make an opinion of your own - not based on some article you read that you like because it fits your way of thinking!!!!

Now, like I said before - I will let you know how the product performs. Also, Bud's Performance Shop in Denver is one of the premier performance dealers in this region. He carries Maggies, Flowmaster and the Aero Turbine (not associated with any other product with the name Turbine in the title) and he unconditionally backs all of the products he sells. If I don't like this product he will make it good. Last year he did over 4750 exhaust systems - he stands by the Aero Turbine with facts, customer satisfaction, and a lifetime quarantee. Call him and ask him about this product. He has a 1-800 number!

Semper Fi

Old 07-17-2006, 06:58 PM
dude. chill.

Asian doctor or not, Bernoulli's principle and thermodynamics are constant, these are scientific facts and not mine (you cant fight them). there isnt Bernoulli 2.0, Bernoulli XP, Bernoulli 2006. unless aeroturbine has altered space time, their claims are invalidated.

now im not saying this product will not increase power or maybe boost your mileage, i am just mentioning it is very contrary and shady that they believe they can violate science. objectively, id politely ask you to open your mind too like you mentioned to more than just the manufacturer's claims because they fit your way of thinking

lastly, neither Jeeps n Fords nor I are undermining your experience or your ownership of the product, we both disagree with AeroTurbine's wonder-tonic claims. please cease attacking his credibility, its not helping yours.

Old 07-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Merton,

Did I attack you? Did I say you were an idiot? No. You asked for OPINIONS in your original message. So, I delivered MY opionion. Sorry that you did not like it. If you are afraid that someone is going to give you a differing opinion, then DON'T ASK.

I'm basing my opinion on scientific fact. I even called Aeroturbine last year and tried to talk to them about the information on their website and they refused to talk to me about it.

I'm very open minded, until a company starts spouting marketing hype that they can't back up with hard proof. Go ask them for their dyno results between theirs and a competitor (not against stock, which is all you find on their website) or them against a straight pipe. You won't get it. I asked. Their response was that they don't release all of their dyno results. Gotta question that one - if the Aeroturbine has better dyno numbers than Magnaflow or Flowmaster or whoever, then why won't they show it?

This is not a personal attack on you. Nowhere in any of my messages have I said anything negative about you. It has all been about the product. Don't get your panties in knot and start attacking me because I think a PRODUCT is crap, and that a company uses dishonest marketing tactics.

Here is a challenge for you - if that speed shop is as good as you say, then run the Aero for a while and then replace it with a Magnaflow and report back on your results.

If you are going to attack people on a personal level when you ask for opinions on a product and someone does not like it, then you aren't going to be making many friends here.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:59 PM
I totally agree with yall on this one, there claims are worthless. Correct me on this, but no pipe should flow as much air or have as much exiting velocity as a straight pipe. But straight pipes generally loose power due to loss of backpressure. Most exausts out there do not gain you much power (flowmaster 40s can loose power) and gas mileage is a joke. Post some accurate findings before running your mouth. Either quater mile times or dyno tests.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:41 PM
First of all, I announced that I got an Aero Turbine Catback system because I was happy with it. I did not put down any of the other systems. The first note I get is "What a crappy product". So, what kind of response do you expect? If you told me your wife was beautiful and I told you yours was fat and ugly, would this bother you? This site is really critical of those who seem to differ from the norm. I would say to you to lighten up.

If someone paints their F-150 Pink, you should not be critical about their choice. That is why I made the comments I did! It is my choice and some NASCAR drivers have been using this system for several years - good or bad - they made their choice and I made mine.

Subject ended as far as I am concerned and Lighten up! And I am not trying to make friends, I am trying to educate myself about the various choices available for Ford truck owners. I have owned over 60 Fords in my lifetime and 10 other vehicles (toyota, nissan, and early Plymouth Barracudas).

Last edited by Merton Leeper; 07-17-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:30 AM
One last note to Jeeps and Fords; and mrwake:

Please read these comments about the Aero Turbine muffler. Especially at the bottom where it is noted that AeroTurbine has been named the official muffler of Nascar for the '06 Season.

Learn How It Works

As the exhaust stream enters the AeroTurbine, it expands to fill the cylindrical chamber. This expansion slows the exhaust stream, creating a lower pressure at the inlet or scavenging effect, similar to that of a header. The exhaust stream is then split via an airfoil cone with an orifice similar to a conical jet engine. The outer stream accelerates to a higher velocity as it flows around the cone and has a lower pressure than the core stream, which is traveling at a slower velocity, and a higher pressure. The two streams are reintroduced via perforations in the center core. The high pressure inner stream is initially drawn out of these perforations as the gas attempts to equalize the pressure differential between the two streams. As this occurs, the change in direction of the exhaust stream causes destructive interference, which deadens the sound. As the pressure is equalized towards the rear of the canister the exhaust gas is pushed back through the helically arranged perforations in the center core, which spin the exhaust stream, causing additional sound cancellation, reducing turbulence, and creating a vortex that enables the gas to more efficiently exit the muffler.

This revolutionary design has been tested and proven to flow more exhaust gas than straight pipe. The quicker you can draw spent gases away from your engine the more power it can make.

Race Proven Performance

The AeroTurbine muffler has stormed onto the race scene with great success. From Nascar, to Rolex Series Grand Am cars, to being the official muffler the Nascar and UROC, the AeroTurbine has become the muffler of choice for those looking for the ultimate in performance.

After the Rolex Grand-Am Series tightened noise restrictions, the Chip Ganassi team requested mufflers from several leading manufacturers, including AeroTurbine. After testing all the mufflers on their race cars they announced the AeroTurbine was the muffler of choice for the team. "We are now using AeroTurbine mufflers exclusively on our Grand-Am cars. They simply outperformed all the others we tested. They are lighter, fit great in the room allotted to them, and the best thing is they make horsepower," said Jeff Lohman, assistant engineer at Chip Ganassi Racing.

AeroTurbine mufflers have also been adopted by Riley Technologies and the SunTrust Pontiac Teams, who both compete in the Rolex Grand Am Series, after testing the mufflers on their cars.

Brandon Riehl who races in the Nascar AutoZone Elite Division, and most recently Rusty Wallace are also both using the AeroTurbine. AeroTurbine has been named the official muffler of Nascar for the '06 Season

Old 07-18-2006, 06:27 PM
One last note to Jeeps and Fords; and mrwake:
Please read these comments about the Aero Turbine muffler. Especially at the bottom where it is noted that AeroTurbine has been named the official muffler of Nascar for the '06 Season.
I'll give you $100 if you can show me a Cup car that is running their muffler. All it takes to be the "official" anything in NASCAR is enough $$.

Just because a team "SAYS" they use it, well that and $4 will get you a cup of coffee. I was a chassis builder for an IMSA team for a few years. We had all kinds of product sponsors - spark plugs, coolant, mufflers - and I can tell you we didn't use ANY of their stuff. All they cared was that their name was on the car and that we won.

But the others are right - you did ask for opinions. You really can't be upset if you ask for an opinion and someone's opinion is different than yours. You like them, they don't. So what? No one insulted you. You just chose to take it as an attack on you.

I went to their site. I read their stuff. Sounds like snake oil. Knowing what I know about air flow, I do have to agree with the posting that says their marketing info is hype and flawed. Sorry. Again, not attacking you, just don't like the product. I'm sure there are lots of things that I own that you don't like, and I'm not taking it personally.

If it will make you feel better, you can tell me how much you don't like the Magnaflow system that I just installed.

You know all that really matters - if you feel good about what you bought. As long as you like it and it works for you, who cares if others don't like it.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:11 AM
My experence.....

I have had an Aero Turbine in my 97' F-150 for about a year now.

I love it. I had a Magnaflow and switched on a dare. One of the local shops had one to test and asked if I would try it. It would not cost me a dime.

I really don't care about the physics, I do know it works. I get more comments on how GOOD this truck sounds....

I have a 4.6L motor, that on a dyno, produces 269HP (you see right) at 75`. That was with the Magnaflow cat back system.

Now with the AeroTurbine, I get 275-80HP. No joke. We did six runs....The more runs we make the more HP we made. It topped out at 280. I guess it took the computer some time to figure out the new flow pattern. Now this is with a motor that has 128k miles on it.

I am not agreeing with the principles on how it’s supposed to work, it just does….. I don’t know why.

You mileage may very.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by shipkiller

I have a 4.6L motor, that on a dyno, produces 269HP (you see right) at 75`. That was with the Magnaflow cat back system.

Now with the AeroTurbine, I get 275-80HP. No joke. We did six runs....The more runs we make the more HP we made. It topped out at 280. I guess it took the computer some time to figure out the new flow pattern. Now this is with a motor that has 128k miles on it.
That's great.
Please list your mods and post a dyno chart.

I'm assuming you've got a supercharger, since those numbers are what guys running M90 blowers are getting on their 4.6s. Those non-PI heads don't flow for cr@p...killing horsepower.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:23 PM
What do you have on there? If I could see some dyno charts I might just be a believer.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:45 PM
He Did Over 4750 In A Year???

Jeeps & Fords:
Last year he did over 4750 exhaust systems
That would be over 13 exhausts per DAY every single day for 365 straight DAYS. I've never watched an install of one of these aftermarket exhausts but it must not take but about 20-30 minutes to do without lunch, breaks, or even time to back one vehicle out and pull in another every day, 8 hours per day, every single day of the year!

Are you SURE about that figure???

If someone paints their F-150 Pink, you should not be critical about their choice.
uhhh, yes, yes I would. Sorry, it's in my nature. If someone painted their F150 pink, For REAL, and it was a guy...I'd definitely, most certainly be critical, and make serious fun of them, and I can't think of any of the guys I know that wouldn't chuckle about it either. Merton, you did specifically ask for opinions. And FWIW, I have a neighbor with the same setup as you and it does sound good.

....but a pink F150?? Dude, I would make SO much fun of that truck and it's owner.

Last edited by doctorD; 07-24-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Aero Turbine Exhaust System