AEM, K&N, Volant, Airaid? WHATS THE BEST

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChappyFX4
One thing that you need to be concerned with that noone has pointed out yet is making sure that the intake does not lean you out. Some intakes are not designed properly and a lean condition will occur causing engine damage. The first generation Volant intakes were known to do this and the AEM intake has been tested to lean out the Air/Fuel mixture. After doing some research on this site via the search button I came to the conclusion that the K&N and the Air Force 1 are the only two intakes that will not mess with the air/fuel mix.
Um...if you are letting more air in, how will it not mess with the air/fuel mix? Based on what you are saying here, the Volant and AEM will outflow the others.

Old 07-24-2006, 09:33 PM
Many of the problems with the first generation aftermarket intakes was due to the placement of the sensor. It has to be in just the right spot to read properly.

I don't think any one particular intake is that much better than the other.

It boils down to looks and price.

Just my 02.

Old 07-24-2006, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Black Truck
What about the new Fram Boost? I'd like to improve performance but I don't want to go with an oiled filter.
What's wrong with an oiled filter? As long as you clean them every so often and don't over-oil when you reapply the oil they're fine. I've used K&N filters in everything I own for many years and they work just great...

Old 07-25-2006, 05:42 PM
mobandit...."What's wrong with an oiled filter?"

What's wrong is that I would be the type to either over-oil or under oil.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:52 PM
I was watching Trucks recently and they had an episode that they put a new intake on a truck and they said it worked great except the oiled filter messed up the MAF. That was brand new right out of the box, no room to over oil it. I guess if it can cause problems right away I just don't want anything to do with it. I am just going to go with one of the new ones with no oil.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Black Truck
mobandit...."What's wrong with an oiled filter?"

What's wrong is that I would be the type to either over-oil or under oil.
I'm with ya on that. Thats why I went with the AEM. I was going to get the fram, but I was able to get AEM cheaper.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Angry

How about Airaid,,,,, I have nothing but check engine lights with mine.

Last edited by User 82124; 07-26-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperFX4x4
How about Airaid,,,,, I have nothing but check engine lights with mine.
Hi.

what model & vintage do you have? Apart from imporper installation (on any intake), you may need custom tuning to take care of your issue...

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor

<snip>

...With regard to the Airaid MIT (or Airaid Junior as some call it), we have seen both scenarios - we have seen where it *does* affect the A/F's, and then we've seen it not affect the A/F's - and I believe that this is simply a matter of when it was made (and no, don't ask me for production dates or dates of changes, I don't' know them ion the MIT). In other words, the "newer" Airaid's & MIT's generally do not require any changes to the tuning, whereas the older units (going back at couple of years) did tend to lean the engine out and thus require correction - so that's the best answer I can give you.

For example, if we were to sell someone an Airaid or an MIT & tuning right now, we would not do anything different to the tuning due to either of those parts, they are pretty stable now. And while the full Airaid kit does add some nice power (primarily down low), personally I would not to the MIT - it was originally designed to help those getting CEL's with the full kit to have something to give them a little bit more power and not have a CEL.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
ViperFx4x4

I have the AIRAID 400-140-1 and I can say nothing but good things about it.

Did you install the kit buy youself, and have you cleaned your MAF sensor since the check engine light came on. A dirty MAF is going to turn that check engine light on.

Just a suggestion.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Lightbulb

First gen from Airaid,,I got it the same month it came out for the new F150-3v..And ever since had problems..Ford put a new mass air sensor in and iI picked it up and put the Airaid on and the light comes on... And yes I put it on myself I,ve been working on trucks, bikes and snowmobiles yor years ,,So we can rule out the newbe check list!!,,,Im just trying to see if anyone else is having a problem with an older one ( NOT THE 400-140-1 )......P.S.. I did all the leak testing with carb cleaner it said no leaks!!!

Last edited by User 82124; 07-27-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try contacting Airaid and see if they won’t do a tube swap for you, I think they will

Old 07-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Arrow

I did and we are working on a few things,, So they are aware of it, and helping! I'll keep you posted

Old 07-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

That's great news. Always nice when a vendor or manufacturer steps up to the plate...

There goes your justification for some custom tunes

Good luck.

Cheers
Grog

Old 07-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Talking

Well last night I sealed around the vacuum nipple and rubber grommet with high temp silicone...Today I have drove 3 times at 20-40 min each time,, and so far no light....(funny that carb cleaner did not pick that up must have to been a super small air leak) Usually the light comes back on right at the 2nd key cycle.... NOT YET......Wish me luck Thanks all,, I'm going to see how it acts the rest of week and weeked and let Airaid know next week (if it works or not) same to you guys

Old 07-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Suspended
What about the JLT?

Quick Reply: AEM, K&N, Volant, Airaid? WHATS THE BEST