It's the PIPEWORK!! Not the Mflr Manufacterer

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006 | 07:15 PM
|
It's the PIPEWORK!! Not the Mflr Manufacterer

OK - Here's the very best way to do exhaust on any F150!! ('97 or newer)

It seems that everybody wants to talk about the brand of the muffler(s) they decided to buy - the brand doesn't matter nearly as much as the pipework!

What difference does it make to put a 3" Flowmaster or Magnaflow or Aero turbine or whatever, if you still have the 21/2" chokepoint at the Y??!!

Cut the 'Y' high enough to accept a straight 3" pipe, install the 3" hi-flow muffler of your choice that has no offset, with a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe.

True duals robs bottom end torque. A true 3" system is just right!

Last edited by Mike Palmer; 07-21-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2006 | 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Palmer
If it's sized too large, yes.
If it's properly sized, no.

I agree with the y-pipe/collector. Ditch that OEM thing! There's some pics on this site of one that's cut open. The inside really chokes-down, much more than the exterior size would have you believe...

Old 07-25-2006 | 10:45 AM
true duals rob power? If all back pressure is removed yes power is robbed. But if done correctly True Duals actually provide more power. Back pressure is need to develop low end torque... opening the exhaust to 3" inches removes back pressure and therefore robs low end power.... A "slightly" restrictive exhaust system is a good thing. Stepping up to 3" pipe from factory 2.25" inch without the proper back pressure will rob all lower end torque. I do agree with the choke point on the exhaust where both exhaust banks enter into one pipe (Y) Thats why I like true duals and remove the choke point altogether and keep the 2.25" factory size tubing and run back through two FM40s and either out the back or sides... Nice performance gain and sounds excellent. I guess to each his own but, If you are going to do it why not do it right! BoB

Old 07-25-2006 | 05:48 PM
That's what I did...replaced the stock Y with a 14" Maggie DI/SO

Old 07-25-2006 | 10:47 PM
huh?

OK - Here's the very best way to do exhaust on any F150!! ('97 or newer)

It seems that everybody wants to talk about the brand of the muffler(s) they decided to buy - the brand doesn't matter nearly as much as the pipework!

What difference does it make to put a 3" Flowmaster or Magnaflow or Aero turbine or whatever, if you still have the 21/2" chokepoint at the Y??!!

Cut the 'Y' high enough to accept a straight 3" pipe, install the 3" hi-flow muffler of your choice that has no offset, with a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe.

true duals rob torque? guess my engine must be a freak cause after i did true duals with x -pipe- towing my 6500 lb trailer became much easier

Old 07-26-2006 | 11:37 AM
|
What is "Duals done right?

I'd like to see meaningful evidence rather than anectoctal, errr-what somebody redneck engineered on their truck.
Blue Oval Breath generalized my statement "...true duals robs bottom end torque" into "true dual robs power". My statement may not necessarily be true, but the latter statement is definately false. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong...but here's more specifically what i ment. I'm speculating that at the low end of the rpm range of the first two gears, rear wheel horsepower is negative, or at best, even. (If exhaust is too wide open). At the higher end of the rpm range, and at highway speeds, horsepower gains are realized. It's nice to have it at the high end, but not at the expense of the low end!
Has anybody measured rear wheel horsepower with say 2.25 duals, and compared that measurement to that of single 3", and that of 2.5" & 3" duals?

Last edited by Mike Palmer; 07-26-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2006 | 01:28 PM
*EDIT*Cut the 'Y' high enough to accept a straight 3" pipe, install the 3" hi-flow muffler of your choice that has no offset, with a 3" mandrel bent tailpipe.*EDIT*

Yep...done SEVERAL like that....

CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR SHOP TRUCK

Old 07-26-2006 | 03:53 PM
|
Nice Work!

Now that what I'm talk'in about! (Great Work!)

To my knowledge, nobody makes a kit to eliminate the Y chokepoint.

It's hard to appreciate a well done system till you've seen one hacked together.
(Usually by some commission guy cutting corners to get to the next job)
Here's my exhaust pet peeves.
1. Too many/unecessary bends
2. Poor welding - looks like chicken poop piled up
3. Flat strap hangers with rubber grommets

Come to think of it, there's too many to mention.

Old 07-26-2006 | 04:38 PM
Now that what I'm talk'in about! (Great Work!)
Thanks! Due to my respect for the site and since I'm not a vendor I won't post any more pics...but, what we do here everyday would "knock your socks off". We do things that you can't get done ANYWHERE!

Thanks again for the compliment.

CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR SHOP TRUCK

Old 07-27-2006 | 11:01 PM
Blue Oval Breath generalized my statement "...true duals robs bottom end torque" into "true dual robs power".

Goodness getting a little testy there Mike Palmer... Re-READ my post. I did not make a statement... I asked a question(See the ? mark at end of sentence) You are right about half ****ed REDNECKS making statements without comprehending what their tiny brain has tried to reason... Read things twice if you need too... At least that is what I tell my young son. That way you do not make errors based on assumptions. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.... BoB

Yes the exhaust looks nicely done.. I WILL post pictures of my exhaust just as soon as I get it back from the suspension shop.

Old 07-28-2006 | 03:58 PM
Suspended
Heres some of mine.

Old 07-28-2006 | 10:49 PM
GRAND , HOW ABOUT A SOUND CLIP OF YOUR EXHAUST!!!PLEASE!!

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:07 PM
Hey Thumper,

I don't see an "H" pipe on your exhaust. Is it not in the picture or do you not have one?

Old 07-28-2006 | 11:27 PM
stright pipes

Will I suffer with stright pipe on my 03 super crew 5.4

Old 07-29-2006 | 07:05 AM
Ah Yes!! True Dual exhaust, Nicely done ThumperMX113. That how mine looks , except I did turn mine out the sides thru different style tips. I have pictures in my gallery but just haven't been able to place a link on the thread... That system is called "Custom Made". NO choke point, No "Y" pipe and less restrictive than a SIDO system. I bet it sounds great!!! What type of muffler are you using? Or did you just straight pipe it to the rear? Those tips look great!!! BoB

Quick Reply: It's the PIPEWORK!! Not the Mflr Manufacterer