Will it pass emissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will it pass emissions

I just ordered a K&N 77 series for my truck. Along with My flowmaster 40s already on will I have a problem passing emissions??

Old 07-31-2006, 11:38 PM
I do emission tests here in the state of Washington. I would perform an OBDII test on your vehicle if it came in for testing. The OBDII test I would run checks 3 areas. 1) I would do a visual check of the vehicles MIL indicator. That would be your Malfunction Indicator Light, and in the case of your F150 the dash display of the "Service Engine Soon" message. Does the "Service Engine Soon" message come on when the key is turned to the run position, before starting the engine? And when started, does this light go out. The answers to both these conditions must be YES. 2) Following this visual check, I perform a diagnostic scan of the OBDII system. To pass this portion of the test, assuming there is no "Service Engine Soon" message on, there shouldn't be any fault codes found in the system. 3) Readiness monitors for all systems checked need to be set to READY with no more than one NOT-READY. If there is more than one readiness monitor set to NOT-READY then, the vehicle doesn't fail, but it cannot be tested yet, and needs to be driven a bit more before testing. Disconnecting a vehicles battery, or using a scan tool to clear existing OBDII codes, sets ALL readiness monitors to NOT-READY. Clearing a trouble code and then expection to sneek by on your emissions test won't happen since the vehicle has to finish it's "drive cycle" first. During the drive cycle the various OBDII systems initiate their tests and upon completion their associate readiness monitors are updated to READY. If the problem that caused the "Service Engine Soon" light to come on in the first place hasn't been corrected, it would be expected that upon completion of the drive cycle, the problem would be reidentified, and the MIL light would come back on. A lot of words to a simple question but hopefully I've given you an idea of the type of emission testing performed on these newer vehicles. By the way the OBDII tests are only done on '96 and newer vehicles so equipped with a Gross Vehicle Weight Capacity less than 8500 lbs. All other vehicles receive a tail pipe emissions test.

Old 08-01-2006, 02:20 AM
I don't see why not. I've passed it twice with the same mods you have. One was an OBD II scan and the other was a sniffer.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Henry,

Nice to hear fromn someone who is active in the I/M program.

Please answer a few things if you would:

1) For a vehicle with only one readiness monitor not ready, will the vehicle be tested and failed or is it possible for this vehicle to receive a PASS?

2) How are pending and continuous codes handled when the MIL is not on?

3) Does your state perform a manual fuel cap test? Missouri does, which I believe is a redundant test since the EVAP monitor should catch a leaking cap.

4) How does your state handle transmission codes when pulled during the e-test?

Thanks! More curiosity than anything else.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 08-01-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:36 PM
In Washington state we begin testing vehicles when they become 5 years old and then until they are 25 years old. We currently are testing 2001 for the first time, and '82 for the last time. In regard to the readiness monitors, an OBDII vehicle (1996-2000) will PASS only if it has no more than 2 readiness monitors not ready and no codes. Beginning with the 2001 model year the vehicle can have no more than one readiness monitor not ready. Vehicles with more than the minimum allowed readiness monitors do not FAIL they are refunded their test fees and told to come back after vehicle has completed the OBDII drive cycle. We don't look at pending codes in our tests only those which have turned the MIL on. We do perform a manual fuel cap test as well which I agree is redundant. Within the last month however we have been instructed to only to do visual cap tests on the 2001 model year vehicles and not the full pressure test that we perform on all other tested gasoline vehicles. Any OBDII code beginning P0XXX (which includes transmission codes) are considered FAIL. A diagnostic code of P1XXX is considered a manufacturers diagnostic code, and is manually passed, but only if it is the only code present.

Quick Reply: Will it pass emissions