A couple exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006 | 04:09 PM
|
Question A couple exhaust questions

I am going to get true dual exhaust put on my truck but my friends have told me alot of mixed things. I have a 2000 reg cab 4.6L longbed f150. I was wondering what size pipe you guys would recommend, I have been told that 2 1/4 would sound the best and some people told me 3" would, Also I have 2 Dynomax 24222 16" glass packs, they have a 3" i/o, I was told if I got them both put on with true duals it would sound like crap. So any advice as to what size exhaust I should get and whether or not I should put on 1, 2 or neither of the glass packs would be greatly appreciated. Forgot to mention I plan on running it from my cats straight back without a muffler.
Thanks in advance,
Codey

Last edited by Codey; 08-13-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-14-2006 | 08:05 AM
|
So no one has any info about this?

Old 08-14-2006 | 02:36 PM
Run a SINGLE 3" inlet/3" outlet muffler of your choice and use 3" pipe all the way to the tip. Anything over that is overkill. Dual outlets are also a waste of time & money. The single only benefit from a dual outlet muffler is looks & that's subjective. Call the 1-800# from any of the companies that make aftermarket exhausts & ALL OF THEM, that's right, ALL of them will tell you that a single 3" is the set up of choice for both power & mileage. If you want, finish it off with a tip of your choice. I used a 4" rolled edge from Magnaflow.

KC-10 FE out...

Last edited by KC-10 FE; 08-16-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-15-2006 | 05:07 PM
Question ?

kc-10...i have a 97 4.6, it has the stock exhaust setup right now...i was wondering if the setup you described would also be the loudest? my exhaust exits out the pass. side in front of the rear tire and i was just thinkin of puttin a new muffler on and exiting out in the same place...but the muffler shop guy says its a deeper tone with the longer pipe out the back(is that a sales tactic?) he said its a "crisper" noise out the side with the shorter pipe. im gettin exhaust next week and just wonderin so i get the sound i want...basically the loudest possible of the two ways described. also, where you said the si/do is just for the look, does that do nothing for the sound? thanks

Old 08-16-2006 | 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by roscoe01c
kc-10...i have a 97 4.6, it has the stock exhaust setup right now...i was wondering if the setup you described would also be the loudest? my exhaust exits out the pass. side in front of the rear tire and i was just thinkin of puttin a new muffler on and exiting out in the same place...but the muffler shop guy says its a deeper tone with the longer pipe out the back(is that a sales tactic?) he said its a "crisper" noise out the side with the shorter pipe. im gettin exhaust next week and just wonderin so i get the sound i want...basically the loudest possible of the two ways described. also, where you said the si/do is just for the look, does that do nothing for the sound? thanks
If loud is what you want, put on true dual Vortex Cherry Bombs with a turn down on the muffler outlets. That's about as loud as you can get and still be legal. One thing to remember, loudness does not always mean more power. The Vortex's are loud as hell but I have no idea how much power they make compared to stock. The guy on the next street over from me has dual Cherry Bomb's and he shakes windows and sets off car alarms everywhere he goes. Being that loud would drive me up the walll.

Some companies like Borla, Gibson, etc... all use a BETTER muffler than the stock but are more concerned with making power instead of noise. In the case of my Gibson, it's only barely louder than stock but I could tell an immediate difference 5 minutes after installing it. Better throttle response, slight power increase, slight mileage increase. Before the Gibson, I had the Banks Monster exhaust. It made more power than the Gibson but had an absolutely unbearable drone right at 55-65 mph. Flowmaster concentrates their entire approach to mufflers base on sound, power being a secondary concern.

There are several choices, you simply need to decide what your priority is.
here is a chart showing comparitive sound levels of muffler set ups. Mind you, this is a Gibson chart but the theory is true of most systems.

KC-10 FE out...

Old 08-16-2006 | 01:10 PM
kc...well i am definately goin with the si/so instead of the si/do like the muffler shop was tryin to sell me. i wanna go with the 11" magnaflow and just bring the tip out the side in front of the rear pass. tire where it comes out now. do you think that will still sound good? i want it noticabley louder(not just a tad bit louder than stock) it doesnt have to blow out windows though..i used to have a 78 camaro with a 350, it had duals with headers with glasspacks...i liked how loud that was(not goin for a similar sound as that) but kinda in that range as far as being noticed. anyone have a soundclip of the 11" magnaflow setup out the side?

Last edited by roscoe01c; 08-16-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-16-2006 | 05:35 PM
It should sound fine. It will be louder than my set up simply because the tip is 4' closer to the cab. I think (& this is just my opinion) I would go with a tip like this for a set up like you're describing. This one is for a 2.5" pipe but any muffler shop can weld it to a 3" pipe.

I used a 4"X18" tip on my truck. It was also for a 2'5" pipe but they simply used a cutoff wheel to cut the opening down to the point where it was 3 1/8 and welded it onto the tail pipe.

KC-10 FE out...

Old 08-16-2006 | 06:39 PM
thats a sweet lookin tip..i like it! i was wonderin if it would make much of a difference if i stuck with the 2.5" pipe instead of goin with a 3"?

Old 08-16-2006 | 08:24 PM
thats a sweet lookin tip..i like it! i was wonderin if it would make much of a difference if i stuck with the 2.5" pipe instead of goin with a 3"?
On a 4.6l, 2.5" pipe should be just fine, cheaper as well. That tip is $53 from http://performancepeddler.com/detail...CT_ID=MAG35175

KC-10 FE out...

Old 08-16-2006 | 10:09 PM
thanks

kc-10..thanks alot for the info. i was kinda in between decisions on my exhaust setup that im gettin next week, your info was helpful. thanks alot. im not worthy!

Old 08-17-2006 | 07:43 PM
adt
Hey Roscoe, the sales guy is basically right, with the longer pipes out the rear you'll get a deeper tone not necessarily louder, and with the side exit in front of the tire will louder and crisper. Flowmasters are typically louder than the Magnaflows. I had both set-ups on my 01 SCAB XLT, 4x4, 5.4L BLown. With the Flowmasters and short pipes at 2.5", they are very loud, I can set off car alarms.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7238

Old 08-17-2006 | 09:01 PM
adt...thanks for the info, i am still lookin at the flowmasters but im kinda partial to the sound of the magnaflows...although i did hear an imco muffler and liked it alot too. looked for the imco to purchase online and couldnt find them. it sorda sounded like a flowmaster only louder, i dont know...anyways the settin off car alarms part did catch my attention.

Last edited by roscoe01c; 08-18-2006 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2006 | 02:01 PM
adt...i got my flowmaster muffler. its the single chamber racing muffler, hope it sounds good. wonderin if you knew if using that muffler on my stock truck will make it sound nice and loud. alright later

Quick Reply: A couple exhaust questions