Exhaust Ideas + MA exhaust laws

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a New Manifold

Hey guys,

I was getting this strange sound coming from under my hood so I took my truck to ford and they said there's a bolt missing on the exhaust manifold and there was a little hole. They said it doesn't have to be replaced now but it will very soon. Ford wants stupid amount for a stock manifold so I was just wondering what to look for in an after market exhaust manifold or if it's even worth while to get an after market manifold.

I have a 2001 5.4 F150 S/C King Ranch/Air Raid intake system.

I want to get Borla dual exhaust system I'm pretty sure I'll get that done when I go get my manifold installed. Also some suggestions on where the best place to pick up these parts

Cheers,

Last edited by desi_rico; 08-07-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by desi_rico
Hey guys,

I was getting this strange sound coming from under my hood so I took my truck to ford and they said there's a bolt missing on the exhaust manifold and there was a little hole. They said it doesn't have to be replaced now but it will very soon. Ford wants stupid amount for a stock manifold so I was just wondering what to look for in an after market exhaust manifold or if it's even worth while to get an after market manifold.

I have a 2001 5.4 F150 S/C King Ranch/Air Raid intake system.

I want to get Borla dual exhaust system I'm pretty sure I'll get that done when I go get my manifold installed. Also some suggestions on where the best place to pick up these parts

Cheers,
go ahead and get a set of headers, it will prob be only a smidge more than a factory exhaust manifold, you will increase your mpg and get more torque and hp which we all love

Old 08-08-2006, 04:03 AM
Sorry about the lame question

Originally Posted by Ol' Blue
go ahead and get a set of headers, it will prob be only a smidge more than a factory exhaust manifold, you will increase your mpg and get more torque and hp which we all love
So if I get after market headers I don't need to get an exhaust manifold, because the headers replace the exhaust manifold?

Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 AM
So if I get after market headers I don't need to get an exhaust manifold, because the headers replace the exhaust manifold?

yup the headers go where the exhaust manifolds went

Old 08-08-2006, 04:19 PM
What's a good Brand of header to get?

I want to get more of a deeper throaty sound what should I be looking for in headers and what should I stay away from

Cheers,

Old 08-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Header are definitely a step up from the exhaust manifolds you have, but if you want to get by on the cheap go to rock auto (https://www.rockauto.com/applet3.html) and they will sell you a new exhaust manifold for around $60 plus shipping.

I'd suggest that if you can do the work yourself you could probably get the headers and install them yourself for about the same money as the stealership will install one manifold for you. Just though you should be aware of all your options, but I'd go for the headers, look at Bassani, JBA, and I believe Borla sells headers for our trucks as well. Man i wish my manifold would rust through so I'd have a good excuse!

Old 08-09-2006, 12:52 AM
Do I need to replace my stock exhaust if I get Headers?

Someone told me that if I put headers in my truck I can't use my stock exhaust and I'd have to replace that at the same time, unless they were shorty headers.

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Header are definitely a step up from the exhaust manifolds you have, but if you want to get by on the cheap go to rock auto (https://www.rockauto.com/applet3.html) and they will sell you a new exhaust manifold for around $60 plus shipping.

I'd suggest that if you can do the work yourself you could probably get the headers and install them yourself for about the same money as the stealership will install one manifold for you. Just though you should be aware of all your options, but I'd go for the headers, look at Bassani, JBA, and I believe Borla sells headers for our trucks as well. Man i wish my manifold would rust through so I'd have a good excuse!

Old 08-13-2006, 01:30 AM
Are Gibson Shorty Headers any good

Someone told me that if I put headers in my truck I can't use my stock exhaust and I'd have to replace that at the same time, unless they were shorty headers.

Can they be used with my stock exhaust

Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 AM
Hi,

Shortie headers will bolt right up to your cats / Y pipe, if you choose to get Long Tube headers you will have to replace your stock Y pipe and probably get some new high flow cats while your at it.

Old 08-13-2006, 07:45 PM
This place seems to have pretty cheap stock parts, check it.

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/

Old 08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Exhaust Ideas + MA exhaust laws-Please!! Need to make decision ASAP!!

Right now I have flowmaster 40 series muffler running si/do the back.It is simply not loud enough for me. I want to go as loud as possible yet still pass inspection in MA. Any ideas?( would like to keep my tips)

Last edited by Fordwitflows; 08-13-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine here:

http://www.partstrain.com/

It was $88 delivered for a set. Thats just bare manifolds with no hardware. They are perfectly fine. Mounted up with no problems.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:32 AM
any1

Old 08-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Need it louder

I have a flowmaster 40 series muffler on right now with duals out the back. I called my local muffler shop and said to change it to hi-flow cats and change to the super 40 series. I want it as loud as possible but still pass emissions. Is that the right thing to do? Will it make it louder? A lot louder? Anything else I can do?Will I pass emissions if i do away with a muffler and run str8 from cats out the back??Wil it be loud?

Last edited by Fordwitflows; 08-14-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Put a 90deg turn down on each outlet of the muffler & it will be MUCH louder. If that doesn't work, ditch the FM & put on dual Vortex Cherry Bombs with 90deg turn downs on those. That will probably cause hearing loss.

KC-10 FE out...

Quick Reply: Exhaust Ideas + MA exhaust laws