My 39 dollar intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006 | 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by stretch104
ok so i got the kit today. no instructions, kinda figured but not a big deal. start taking off all the stock stuff and realize it's missing a clamp, so i find one that i have lying around, ok good. so i get to the vacuum hoses, there not big enough(diameter) so i have to tweak and cut and use other tubing that i have lying around, ok thats done sheesh. then i get to the air filter, i pick it up and pull it out of the plastic and the metal end falls off....what the freeg, i see glue but its all dried up and i also notice that its slightly torn away from the metal ring on the other side.....ok so basiclly the filters junk cause it has a hole that can suck dirt..greeeeaaat. so after mexirigging it all up i decide to take it for a quick test run..... .... its slower... i couldn't help but laugh as i just wasted 40 bucks and an hour of my time. so yeah its pretty much a waste of money don't buy it.. i learned my lesson, atleast i only wasted 40 bucks huh. so back in goes the k&n drop in

Your post pretty much made my mind up - I'm buying the drop-in K&N instead of this ebay job.

Old 08-23-2006 | 12:48 PM
39 intake

Hello Stretch104, what kind of improvements (if any) did you notice with the k&n drop in?

Old 08-23-2006 | 03:05 PM
heh heh....you get what you pay for I suppose.

Old 08-23-2006 | 09:59 PM
yeah i kinda figured i'd be a piece. it actually slowed my truck down everywhere, it would barely peal out from a stop the funny thing is this ebay kit was slower than my drop in k&n...and the k&n was dirty
i don't know what kind of improvments i got from the k&n over stock cause it came with it when i bought it, but i'd say its the best bang for your buck considering a cold air kit can run you 200+ when a drop in is like 50 or so. go with the drop in

Old 08-24-2006 | 09:55 AM
Talking

Sounds like the "k&n drop in" is the winner over the $39.00 intake. I will get the k&n drop in this weekend. thanks to all for the input......

Old 08-24-2006 | 01:40 PM
I've been following this thread and I had thought about the "$39 dollar intake" for my truck and was glad to hear about the results posted from stretch104. I have the K&N drop-in filter and I didn't take note of the performance gains back about 3 years ago when I made the switch. I can't afford K&N's cold air intake system for my truck so I've been looking for alternatives. Someone made a inexpensive intake from their factory air box, and put the info in the Technical Articles section of this site under the Air box Mod title. The mod can be reversed if needed. There is also another air box mod on another F-150 site - which I'm thinking about doing - that is not reversible. I'm going to price out what a used air box assembly from a wrecking yard is worth and go from there.
Does anybody else know about these air box mods and have tried it?

Kevin

Old 08-24-2006 | 04:43 PM
Wow. I just spent the last half hour or so working/reading about air intakes here. I should of did the search and read before my previous post :o . I've learned a lot quickly (while sorting through the different personalities etc. ). I've decided I don't want an open box type intake system (especially here in south Arkansas where it gets way to hot - at least for me being from Alberta, Canada ), so I won't try modding my air box. So next is to do a search on the list of manufacturers and their designs and their prices. I kinda think I'll be staying with my drop in K&N filter for a while in regards to the cost of an air intake system.

Kevin

Old 08-26-2006 | 09:58 AM
Read all the posts to this forum...I have one of the e-bay kits in my wifes 03 explorer 4.0l.....I did the "research" on them.....I paid like 75 for the thing about 2 years and have been very satisfied with it so has the wife.....The cai I bought has a K@n conical air filter....granted I did not test the 1/4 miles times but gas mileage did go up a little over a mile per gallon.....If I can find the original box I'll put the shippers name on here for anyone interested....also if I can figure out how to post pictures I will post what it looks like....

Old 08-26-2006 | 12:56 PM
I put the drop-in K&N in a few days ago. Can't really tell much difference. Maybe there is a slightly better throttle response, but that is debateable. I'll know more about the gas mileage after few tanks.

Old 08-26-2006 | 01:08 PM
Doi the "freebee" stuff. Drop in a K&N, remove the snorkel from the fender wall, pull out the silencer tube from the air intake after the filter. Gives more poop, and of course the sound you are looking for.

Old 08-26-2006 | 01:30 PM
Thats one nice HAI, I would take and get a few pieces of sheet metal or thicker coat them with a reflective paint and you should have a little better success. Or seal it off.... But it is some kind of pretty.

Old 08-28-2006 | 11:26 AM
FordFriendly...
I was looking online for an intake this past weekend and found one that includes a K&N filter. I did not order it but am considering getting one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-04...22253193QQrdZ1

Old 08-28-2006 | 05:23 PM
CAI success

I bought the Airaid CAI kit from 4wheelparts. it was pretty simple to install and yeilded a much better throttle response and noticable difference in acceleration. I would recommend this to any f-150 owner out there. The K&N drop ins are nice, had them on other vehicles, but I am very pleased with this kit. Going on 2 years in the truck and not a single problem, besides a bad OD solenoid in the tranny. Warranty took care of it even with the intake. hope it helps.

05 F-150 supercab 2wd, 4.6 2v, airaid intake, edge evolution tuner, 18 inch alum rims, 285/60/18 forteras
gibson single exit exhaust kit, ready lift coil spacer on the way

Old 08-28-2006 | 09:35 PM
|
i honestly can't believe you guys all jumped on with ole stretch this intake made a tremendous difference to the performance. all i can figure is that all the guys that went out and spent $200+ are feeling a little embarrassed about getting ripped off. anyone who lives in this area, which is little rock, ar. i know where a dyno shop is and if anyone wants to wager which one makes more power i am willing to put them to the test. there is no way there is a power decrease with this setup. thanks and once again if you have a kit strtch put a pic of it in your driveway since you took it off already. at least i have some evidence of buying a kit not just a lot of words. everyone knows you can say anything online. once again i am willing to wager dyno runs. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 08-29-2006 | 09:44 PM
pzx 2002 I took a quick look at that intake, it is nicer than the one I bought for the explorer..Check to see if they give you instructions.....Thanks for the lead....I have been looking for one for my 99 F150.....

humbleautosales.....I would post a picture of the intake on the wifes explorer if I knew how to do it.....

Quick Reply: My 39 dollar intake