Should I weld everything or clamp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I weld everything or clamp?

Hi, I am getting a Magnaflow 16614 duel rear exhaust installed soon. I wanted them to weld all pipes and tips. I think that the clamps around the tips look aftermarket. How hard will it be, if later I want to switch out the tips? Thanks, Blue

Old 09-12-2006, 12:56 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
I would weld everything you replace except for the where it actually is meeting up with the factory collectors. I would clamp there.

and replacing tips arent that hard, but easiest way is just have no tips and dump the exuast under the cab.
-Patrick

Old 09-12-2006, 01:24 AM
i agree although specifically a stainless steel band clamp holds up best especially for disassembly/reassembly. i have seen them at various auto parts stores and in summit catalog.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
I agree that everything should be welded except where they meet the factory. Mine is welded there and I wasn't to particulary happy when I noticed it but I aint goin to fool with it. It shouldn't bet too hard to do as long as you know how to weld.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Thanks for all the advise. I have a local muffler shop that is a certified Magnaflow installer that is going to do the work. I have a towing hitch so there is a small modification that will need to be done and they have the right hangers for my duel rear exit pipes. So stainless clamp at the factory and weld the rest......Blue

Old 09-13-2006, 05:46 AM
its easy to install dual exhaust system just make sure it is allined properly and weld it up all the way back i remend welding it to the factory cats so exhaust gasses dont leak and you will know if they do the gases will give quite the headache i didnt weld my tips in cause i want to change them later

Quick Reply: Should I weld everything or clamp?