Flowmaster, you thief!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006 | 04:37 AM
Just adding my 0.02, before you got your exhaust you read all the posts you could find about flows vs mags and then you decided. the thing that will bake your brain tomorrow is would you have felt the difference if you hadn't known the difference before hand.

Old 10-09-2006 | 05:39 AM
Yeah, I listened to all the arguing back and forth that's been going on for years now about the differences between Flowmaster and Magnaflow, and finally made my descision. That's what makes my truck climb that hill without struggling as much now. Not! I actually bought both and compaired the two using real world tests.

Old 10-09-2006 | 04:13 PM
I just put my Flowmaster on, and I don't notice any torque loss. If anything the only thing I noticed was better acceleration at higher RPM's, but not torque loss. Thing was, I was actually looking for it after reading all the post's on here about the subject.

As for the original topic, I'm no mechanical genius, but I would have my truck checked out for other problems, because I can't imagine the change from an exhaust system causing that significant of a loss in power. Could be something else is wrong?

Old 10-09-2006 | 04:38 PM
sorry to jump in on this conversation but i just had to when i saw this argument. i havent posted alot, i mainly just read but this thread caught my eye.

scientifically you can falsify this loss of torque in many ways similar to how NSCU and Navi did. a dyno test is the only way to prove you lost your torque. in real life there are varriables that will hold you truck back:

Excessive wind in any direction towards your truck will make you feel some kind of loss or gain.
The car/truck infront of you cutting through dead air can make a difference just by how the still wind rolls around the car and hits your truck creating a resistance or advantage.
The traffic driving on this 'hill' comming in the opposite direction will create an force against your truck with the air that they are dispersing teh air they are driving through outwards infront of your truck.
Depending on how fast you start going up the hill you might or might not feel as much resistance and/or loss of torque.
Depending on how much fuel you have in your truck, one gallon of gasoline weighs 8.66lbs, in a 20-25gallon tank that is 173.2-216.5 extra poundage that your truck has to haul. It's not much weight compared to the total weight that the truck can tow, its actually about how much an extra human is, but, physically, your horsepower to weight ratio is different on a full tank than on half or empty.
Cold air outside will help make your car run better, if you 'real world tested' these exhausts durring different seasons of the year then there would be minor differences there.

And seriously how many days of driving to work have you really felt this and not had your mind on the day ahead of you or where your headed or the traffic around you or concentrating on the sweet tunes that your blasting. You have your mind on so many other subjects while your driving and unless you lost more than 50-100lbs of torque it probably didnt cross your mind as much as you wish it did.

Mentally you probably only felt this once or twice and you blew it into this whole big mess of an argument. The days that you had the thought of the spesific loss of torque with this exhaust running through your head will come to life when these factors and many others come into play. Go get a few dyno tests and come back and PROVE that you lost this torque.

Old 10-09-2006 | 09:04 PM
I can't show you the loss. I took the Slomaster off.

Old 10-11-2006 | 08:03 PM
adt
Do us all a favor and dyno your truck with the flows and then after the Mags go on and post the results. I talked to the guys at my dyno shop, they're building vettes with 1000 hp & 1300 # tq. with their twin turbo set-ups. They've been installing Flows on alot of them with no returns or replacements. I'm caught in the middle, I like the Flows on my truck. I'm thinking of switching to Mags but I love the sound of the Flows. I'm not sure if it's worth the $$ to make the change. So I'd love to see it on paper. Hope you can do that for all of us.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7238

Last edited by adt; 10-11-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-11-2006 | 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by adt
Do us all a favor and dyno your truck with the flows and then after the Mags go on and post the results. I talked to the guys at my dyno shop, they're building vettes with 1000 hp & 1300 # tq. with their twin turbo set-ups. They've been installing Flows on alot of them with no returns or replacements. I'm caught in the middle, I like the Flows on my truck. I'm thinking of switching to Mags but I love the sound of the Flows. I'm not sure if it's worth the $$ to make the change. So I'd love to see it on paper. Hope you can do that for all of us.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7238
My Flowmaster rusted away last year. It lasted 5 years. Not bad for aluminized.

If they're installing Flows on Corvettes with twin-turbo's, that's a big mistake. Turbos run off of exhaust flow. A Flowmaster has chambers which is a restriction in the exhaust, which in turn slows the turbo's down. Tell them I said to put some straight through Magnaflows on those Vette's, and watch the boost rise even higher.

Peace...

Old 10-12-2006 | 11:31 AM
If you want to be fooled by interent lore, go right ahead. Meanwhile, the rest of us who actually know what this stuff does will enjoy romping on the fools who think they are rocket scientists when it come to performance

Old 10-12-2006 | 01:32 PM
What's so hard to understand about it? I told you, I had both mufflers, same exact exhaust setup both times, and the Magnaflow pulls the hill better. That's MY conclusion. I really don't give a rats *** what you think.

And before you go around calling people "fools" for coming up with their own opinions, you'd better know you're in danger of hell fire bro. JFYI. Let's just agree to disagree and be done with it. How about that?

Last edited by Peacemaker; 10-12-2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2006 | 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Peacemaker
If they're installing Flows on Corvettes with twin-turbo's, that's a big mistake. Turbos run off of exhaust flow. A Flowmaster has chambers which is a restriction in the exhaust, which in turn slows the turbo's down. Tell them I said to put some straight through Magnaflows on those Vette's, and watch the boost rise even higher.

Peace...
Ditto..... They aren't really all that on top of things if they are using a chambered muffler with a turbo setup. I've seen turbo 5.0s pick up 50hp by dumping chokemasters for straight through mufflers like Race Magnums...

Old 10-12-2006 | 02:22 PM
I have not once cared if you people want to throw down hellfire, flames, or personal vendettas. This is the internet, and if you think that you harassing me on here is going to make me care on Iota more then you have plenty of learning to do. Your opinon is just that, your opinion. When there is this thing called the real world that shows that you are wrong, then believe what you want. You know how many people tell me I loose low end torque by having 3 inch duals?? You know how many said I'd loose more because of flowmasters? I didn't notice it, but since everyone else said it was so it must have been. I just must not have noticed the loss of power in the second biggest, heaviest SUV on the road. I really must be crawling at this point cause I wouldn't have any torque left to drive on. Gee, my bad.

And to finalize this, you efficiantly proved MY point when you said:
That's MY conclusion. I really don't give a rats *** what you think.
Great....share you're crappy opinion with others so they don't know how to properly decide what to do on their application. As if they don't have enough crap to wade through already. There are just as many people who hate magnaflow as there are that hate flowmaster, and more that hate borla, dynomax or whatever. But when you make ignorant statements that you can feel the difference is your azz dyno, your wrong. And then someone else believe yet another load of crap that is written on the internet.

Now you can unleash your torrent of crap, which will do absolutely nothing but waste bandwith cause I am here just to help people with the application of the products that they choose when I can, and you are here to badmouth something based on the numb feeling in your a$$

Ditto..... They aren't really all that on top of things if they are using a chambered muffler with a turbo setup. I've seen turbo 5.0s pick up 50hp by dumping chokemasters for straight through mufflers like Race Magnums...
Show me one piece of physical data. You can't

Old 10-12-2006 | 02:29 PM
Old 10-12-2006 | 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
Show me one piece of physical data. You can't
Yeah, just because I don't have copies of other folks dyno sheets to post for your eyes I must be wrong....

You very cleared showed your turbo knowledge, or more correctly lack thereof, in another thread, I have absolutely no reason to care one bit what you think. I spent a couple years running the fastest stock heads/cam/intake 5.0 Mustang in the country (turbo setup, completely built and tuned by me), one that was featured in both big national Mustang mags, and have worked on numerous other turbo cars and spent quite a while in communication with a hundred or so other turbo owners via email list sharing in all their testing/trials/results/etc....

You? You read a bunch of stuff on the interweb and now consider yourself an expert....

Old 10-12-2006 | 03:19 PM
98Navi, If you like Flowmaster, that's great. I liked Flows too until I tried Magnaflow. You have the right to an opinion just like everybody else. Just don't try pushing the brand with the nonsense you're posting. I'm not going to debate with a person who starts name-calling over a flippin' muffler. I respect your opinion about Flowmaster mufflers, I just don't agree. Big deal.

BTW, I actually did do a real world test. I saw what happened. It's my word against your's. You choose not to believe? Fine. I don't care. I have no proof, and I don't care who believes it or not. I'm just posting my experience. Azz dyno? Haha! My speedo reads higher on top of that hill. That's all that matters to me.

I don't have any scientific data, or dyno graphs to prove it because it's not worth it to me to dyno a stock 4.2L with the only mod being exhaust. You can take my opinion for what it's worth. Or not.

I was serious about the hell fire comment. And I'm done with this thread...

Old 10-12-2006 | 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
There are just as many people who hate magnaflow as there are that hate flowmaster, and more that hate borla, dynomax or whatever.

Who hates Dynomax? Come on, what has Dynomax ever done to make people hate it? Dynomax keeps to itself, tries not to bother anybody. It always has your back in a fight. It's a peace maker. Dynomax is a lover not a fighter
We need more like Dynomax.

God Bless You Dynomax!

Last edited by dly97; 10-12-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster, you thief!!