egr pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
egr pipe

Hey guys, I had my car in down at midas to look for an exhaust leak, and they say its due to a rusted out egr pipe. So I'm goign to do the repair myself to save the labor costs, and I was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas, hints, tips or ways of going about this that would make things easier. The guy down there, who knows my family well from all the cars weve owned told me the part wasn't expensive but the labor was going to rack up, so I'm guessing it wont be a cakewalk. Thanks a lot.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Its runs from the EGR to the Exhaust manifold. I would recommend some heat. I would try to stay away from the EGR as much as possible, to not melt the components inside of it. I've always used an adjustable or cresent wrench to get the upper part of mine off on my truck, The lower part however is a different story... Its a big pain, use a propane torch to heat it up. I dont know what kind of car your working on so its hard for me to give you many further details. I would recommend that you buy a new *stainless* EGR tube not that Aluminized steel crap or whatever it is. I bought stainless which was a little more expensive, but I probably wont be changing it for a long time. I would also recommend some high-temp anti-seize so the next unlucky SOB that has to take it off will not be busting his knuckles.

Old 10-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Wow, I'mj definetley not looking forward to doing this job then... it especially sucks because I am 6'8" 260lbs so needless to say, I don't have the smallest hands. I have a '98 f150 6cyl, and honestly dont even know where to look for this pipe. Do you know how much I should pay for a new pipe? And also, would this cause me crappy gas mileage (12-14mpg?) Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Does anyone have a drawing or anything to show me where to find the egr pipe?

Old 10-11-2006, 07:09 PM

thats an egr just follow the piping from it

Old 10-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks, do you know where in the engine bay that is located roughly? I looked and still cannot find it... I'm assuming its near the exhaust manifold.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey, I got the EGR tube off completely except for the 1" bolt donw on the exhaust manifold. The tube broke off of it so its just stuck there with hardly any room to get leverage on a wrench. I heated it with a heat gun, tapped with a hammer, used seafoam "liquid wrench" stuff (1/2 can)... and still it wont budge. I started just barely rounding off the bolt and I'm scared to go any farther as it is because I would hate to round it off completely.

-Any ideas? I've been around tons of stuck bolts and nuts, but this is the worst.
-Is it really bad to drive the truck with no egr tube (to a shop with an impact wrench)?
-Also, the EGR valve is fairly dirty inside, would it make sense to take it off and maybe spray some sea foam through it to clean it out? sould this explain a drop in gas mileage?

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 PM
umm, if your saying theres still some pipe in it but wont come out, stick a thin piece or metal ( such as a jackknife blade ) and try to bend it up, then try taking needle nosed plyers and pull it out, take a propane torch to it if nessessary. I dont think it would be to bad driving without it but it may throw all kinds of codes, and maybe cleaning it out with the seafoam will do good for it

Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by ws6_guyscrew
umm, if your saying theres still some pipe in it but wont come out, stick a thin piece or metal ( such as a jackknife blade ) and try to bend it up, then try taking needle nosed plyers and pull it out, take a propane torch to it if nessessary. I dont think it would be to bad driving without it but it may throw all kinds of codes, and maybe cleaning it out with the seafoam will do good for it

No, its just a bolt siezed on a stud coming from the exhaust manifold. I'm starting to think an impact wrench?? thanks anyways man.

Old 10-17-2006, 03:21 PM
oh, well maybe something strong and that wont lose its grip

Quick Reply: egr pipe