Aluminized versus Stainless Steel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006 | 01:13 PM
|
Aluminized versus Stainless Steel?

Other than the obvious cost difference, what do I lose by going with an Aluminzied Steel exhaust versus a Stainless Steel? How much longer should the SS one last versus AS? How much heavier is the SS vs AS?

I have a shop in my area who will put a custom-made Aluminzied Steel 2.5" diameter true dual system with X-Pipe, two Magna Flow mufflers and Magna Flow 3.5" x 22" SS tips on my 2006 F150 for $450 installed. The full Stainless Steel version is about $250 more, so I am wondering if it is worth the difference in price?

They said there is a life-time warranty on the mufflers and SS tips through Magna Flow, but only a 1 year on the AS piping.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am planning to have the work done tomorrow.

KR-Tx

Old 10-06-2006 | 02:03 PM
Truck of the Month
I went full SS on my new '06 Screw. I figured, I keep my vehicles on average of 10+ years. The guy that did mine said that I'd pretty much never have to worry about it rusting for a long long time compared to aluminzed steel.

The other thing to consider is the area that you live in? If you live up North where the snow is heavy and a lot of salt is used, SS may be the way to go.

Old 10-06-2006 | 03:14 PM
|
I live in south Texas, so I do not have to worry about the salt and snow. I am far enough away from the ocean, so salt water is not a problem for me either. I normally only keep my trucks for about 3 to 5 years and the Aluminzed Steel will probably still be in good shape when I am ready for a new vehicle.

In the past, I went with a SI/DO Magna Flow muffler and the big chrome tips on my trucks. In two cases, Magna Flow had to replace my mufflers for free, but I ended paying for new tips before I was ready to sell. The rest of the system stayed pretty much intact other than some damage I caused on one occasion.

I am looking at a true dual system with the SS tips this time, but I am still wondering if it is worth the extra $250 to go with SS tubing? If longevity is the only reason, it is probably not worth it for me.

Thanks for your thoughts.

KR-Tx

Old 10-06-2006 | 04:55 PM
I would think that with your location not having to worry about snow and road salt or salt air from the ocean that the aluminized system would work well for you. Especially seeing that you only plan on having it for a few years, let some one else deal with the exhaust if it rots out

I personally have had both on two different vehicle. The car that I had before my truck was 12 years old (ordered it from the dealer) and it still had the original SS exhaust on it. On a Monte Carlo that I had, it had the aluminized Monte SS exhaust on it and after 3 years the pipes were still in great condition. Both vehicles were daily drivers and went through Upstate NY winters

Old 10-06-2006 | 11:39 PM
Stainless would be a waste of money for you. Your not looking for longitevity since you'll trade out in a few years, you're not near snow or ice. You could probably drive it for 10 or 15 years where you are without it rotting. Get the AS piping

Old 10-07-2006 | 08:34 AM
|
Thanks to all who responded. I am going to go with the AS tubing. I will post some pictures after the work is done.

KR-Tx

Old 10-07-2006 | 04:52 PM
Good idea, stainless is great for northerners who see lots of salt, 4 seasons etc, but I'm guessing in TX there isn't much of that- Hurricanes/ Tornadoes different story (truck replacement). As such, you're options are more open. I need stainless plus I have a rare kinda truck, so went JBA. My Dynomax lasted fall 2001 till summer 2004 so not bad.

Old 10-09-2006 | 08:29 PM
Exhaust manifold rotting

Hi all have a question for you i have a 97 4x4 with the 4.6 and my drivers side manifold and the front driveshaft are rusted severely, The manifold has a hole in it below the EGR pipe and on top of the flange above the gasket, the driveshaft is flaking off where the spline is and appears to be less than half the thickness it was.
Other than these parts rusting the truck is in excellant condition, no rust anywhere else on body or frame.I have the truck from new and it has 130K on it but has been garaged and washad and waxed frequently, any ideas i think it was poor steel in the manifold and driveshaft.

Quick Reply: Aluminized versus Stainless Steel?