Help Choose Budget Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Choose Budget Exhaust

First off, I know budget, cheap, etc. aren't words we want to hear when dealing with our baby's. But I have a long list of mods and exhaust really isn't what I'd like to throw lots of $$ at.
I'm completely stock, wanting some good growl when I get on it, but nothing too loud for highway or when pulling my camper. Thought about a K&N drop in and eventually an Edge tuner before Summer camping.
I've heard Magnaflow is good for no highway drone but good sound when you get on it but can I just get a muffler and cut out the existing and replace or ?
I don't have to worry about emissions at all.
Please help!
Thanks,
midnightwhite

Old 11-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Yes, you can cut out the existing muffler and replace. Because you don't have to run emissions either, I'd say go ahead and get rid of your cats too.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:25 AM
If your pipes are still good & not totoally rusted do what I want to do, just chop the stock muffler & put in a aftermarket muffler with a dump tip on it. It will still sound like a regular si/so aftermarket system and will eliminate the ugly stock tip. I'm a Flowmaster guy I love the sound of a flowmaster idle, rev up, fly by, and drone. But if you want innocent & quiet when wanted, but loud & mean when you stomp it, i'd go Magnaflow, check ebay for mufflers, you can get one for $40.00 - $80.00 which is better than a $300.00 system.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Zaairman, what would cutting the cats do/not do? Are there 2 cats? before the intersection of the Y? Then a new Y would have to be put in or those sections filled with "donor" pipe?
ws6, I haven't been underneath so not sure of condition. I think the muffler replacement sounds like the way to go. However cutting out the cats intrigues me.

If you haven't noticed, I'm clueless to exhaust..thankful to you guys and the forum.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:00 AM
There are 4 cats on a 2003 truck, and they are before the Y. They can be simply replaced with a piece of tubing. Now, this may or may not set off your check engine light. If it does, then all you have to get is a O2 sensor eliminator. Also, you'll love your Edge. I love mine

Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
There are 4 cats on a 2003 truck, and they are before the Y. They can be simply replaced with a piece of tubing. Now, this may or may not set off your check engine light. If it does, then all you have to get is a O2 sensor eliminator. Also, you'll love your Edge. I love mine
What will eliminating them do?
Funny you mention your Edge, I was just checking out your gallery and saw your Edge mounted in the "Pod". Was it a simple install? What level do you normally run?
Also, what HU are you using? And where did you get your sub/enclosure?

Old 11-29-2006, 12:31 PM
You'll need a MIL eliminator to fool the computer into thinking you still have cats installed on your truck. You will only need this is you set off the check engine light.

The Edge install was as simple as plugging it in, velcroing the pod down, and hiding the wire. Pretty sure my mother could do it. I almost always run level 3, unless if I'm towing for a long (over 50 miles) distance or a huge load. However, I normally only tow a 16' boat, so I don't bother to change it usually.

The headunit is a Jensen VM9410. And my sub box I built myself out of 3/4" MDF. I also built the seat lift myself.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:39 PM
I meant the custom Clarion 8" in the front with the CB attached. So you have a sub in the front and in the back? Did you attach the Clarion unit to the floor? I wonder if something like that would work to conceal my Basslink.
How is the Jensen HU? I've heard good and bad about Jensen, but it is a good pricepoint for me.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:10 PM
yeah muffler replacing will work, my underbody is rusted out but my pipe is still strong enough for me to clamp a performance muffler onto it. I hate my stock rusted tip, that ruins alot of my nice photos, so i'll be glad to have that thing out. So since I think my stock pipe is good enough then your will most definatly be ok, because mine is sadly, the rust king.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:30 PM
What is the inlet/outlet size that I would need? 3 inches? And does it matter the size/girth and length of the muffler? There are a few on ebay but not sure if a specific size or offset is needed.

Thanks again for the info guys.

Old 11-29-2006, 02:37 PM
You'll need a 2.5" inlet/outlet muffler. Size doesn't matter, cause no aftermarket muffler will be as huge as the factory muffler. Also, the sub up front is an 8" Clarion Camoflauge sub. I have NO idea where to get it at, it was in the truck when I bought it. It has a built in internal amp. Not very powerful but adds some bass. The Jensen headunit is doing great so far, I did have one problem with the dvd drive but it was covered under warranty.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:01 PM
cant explain it any better that that ^^^^ i'm gonna buy a 2.5" single in single out 40 off there soon.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Hey Midnight, you might want to talk to RockPick, I was going through his gallery earlier and saw that he had the same sub in his old 2001 King Ranch.

Quick Reply: Help Choose Budget Exhaust