got summit headers need how to

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006 | 12:21 PM
|
got summit headers need how to

My summit shorty headers came in the mail yeasterday I am planning on spending the day tomorow installing them along with new plugs and wires and replace a seized ebrake cable. (should be a full day in the garage) Anyways I was searching around for a nice how to on installing the headers on with step by step instructions and maybe even pics is there anything like that kicking around? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Len

Old 12-08-2006 | 01:35 PM
whatever you do take your time taking off those old manifolds. one broken bolt. there goes your day.

Old 12-08-2006 | 01:52 PM
|
the original owner had already put a pair of shorty headers on the truck so the manifolds are not originale thank god so I am hopng things will come apart much easier than factory equipment. but I guess I will find out tomorow.

Len

Old 12-08-2006 | 02:38 PM
be sure to let us know how it goes take pics too be a big help to us about to do the same good luck

Old 12-08-2006 | 06:45 PM
Start spraying PB Blaster on the bolts now. Especially the pipe flange bolts.

Old 12-09-2006 | 03:10 PM
good luck

Old 12-10-2006 | 06:15 AM
So How Did It Go?

Old 12-11-2006 | 09:42 AM
|
Headers are installed however the egr tube was rusted to heck so it broke out of the fitting so I had to get a replacement should be finished tonight. took me about 12 hours total to do what I got done. Its not a hard job just alot of stuff that takes patience to do. studs are a pita to take out and a bigger pain to put the new ones in. the flange bolts suck big time I ended up using grinders and cut off wheels to get those off. I guess the best advice I can give anyone doing this job is to take your time have some beers or soda handy and plenty of smokes you will need them. One last thing buy a decent set of header gaskets I used steel core one as they don not burn out as easy as the paper ones. My originals were totally burned out. Sorry about not taking pics as I was filthy and I did not want to get the grease and crap all over my digital camera.

Old 12-11-2006 | 10:11 AM
|
another note on painting the headers. I could not afford to get the headers ceramic coated which would have been ideal so I ended up painting them. my summit headers came with a sticker on them statign that the paint on them was NOT high heat paint. I am giessign they spray themt o protect them until they are sold. I picked up a can of duplicolor plasticoat high heat black spray paint supposed to be good up to 1500 degrees (which I doubt) but hopefully it will be good up to the heat of the exhaust. if you go my route be sure to bake them after you paint them. I personally set them on the iron kerosene stove I use to heat my garage while I removed the old one so they were heated by that for hours and hours so the paint should be cured properly some folks use a grill it really up to you. I scuffed them up good with sandpaper then gave them a couple of coates. 1 can should take care of both headers. Hope this helps.

Old 12-11-2006 | 10:34 AM
|
BTW as an added bonus while I was instaling the headers I found out my truck has a block warmer! Sweet for those super cold nights!

Old 12-11-2006 | 07:33 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
In a pinch BBQ paint works too.

JMC

Old 12-12-2006 | 10:54 AM
|
finished my header install. The truck is running like a champ now no more SES light lots more power. I ended up breaking the EGR tube ( major Pain in the *** there) so I had to wait to get the new one until yeasterday went to install it and it did not come with the 2 male sided piece to thread into the header and the tube so I ran to tractor supply and they had one that worked thank god! you would think for 67 dollars ford would give you that piece! but alls well that ends well its fixed runs great Im a happy camper!

Len

Quick Reply: got summit headers need how to