Oh, Brother! Should I do this AF1 Thing, Too?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007 | 12:01 PM
|
Oh, Brother! Should I do this AF1 Thing, Too?

So, I hear all the talk about intakes, and now I’m thinking. Before Troyer gets my tunes completed, I am wondering if I should pop for the AF1 intake. Crystal says the 3” can be added later and some data logging will tell if they need to make some adjustments in my tunes, but the 3-1/4” requires adjustments in the tunes right off the bat. I understand the intake could add up to 25 horses and it mainly makes horsepower – not torque. So, is it worth it? I guess I can run the 3” with all the tunes and the stock program, but the 3-1/4” requires the tunes – period. I would hate to have to change the intake as well as the tunes back to stock if I take the truck in for service, but if there is some real benefit, I may be interested. I mostly commute about 700-900 miles per week, and tow about 4,200# in the warmer months on the weekends. It sounds like the intake won’t help the towing as much as the daily driving spunk. This is a sickness. I’ve already dumped cash for the dual exhaust and the tuner, and I never figures another three bills for the AF1. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Old 01-10-2007 | 01:18 PM
In all honesty the AF1 will benefit the touque numbers in the lower rpm range, which will definately help with the towing you do. If your going to do it then I suggest you do it while Mike is building your tunes. You will get a discount for buying the combination package that way also. Then you will have the complete package with the Magnaflow exhaust, AF1 intake, and the custom tuned XCal2...It dosen't get any better..

Old 01-10-2007 | 02:19 PM
|
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
In all honesty the AF1 will benefit the touque numbers in the lower rpm range, which will definately help with the towing you do. If your going to do it then I suggest you do it while Mike is building your tunes. You will get a discount for buying the combination package that way also. Then you will have the complete package with the Magnaflow exhaust, AF1 intake, and the custom tuned XCal2...It dosen't get any better..
Thanks Marc. You must work for Troyer! Now, will I notice much less with the 3" over the 3-1/4"? I think I may opt for the 3" if I go that route as I won't have to do much switching out as it will work with the stock programming as well. Is there much to putting in and taking out the AF1? Thanks,

Smoke

Old 01-10-2007 | 03:01 PM
the AF1 install is pretty simple and straight forward. It take 30-45 minutes to remove the stock intake and install the new one.

Old 01-10-2007 | 04:07 PM
|
Thanks for the install times. This mod thing becomes a sickness. I hate to not do the AF1 if I stand to gain that much, but I am green to the gasser mod scene and very skeptical. In two months, I have put 9,000 miles on the truck. In a year I'll be pushing about 55k, which is when I'll probably get rid of it before the bottom falls out of it's value, so the $1200 in mods will be trashed - unless I get another 2007 or 2008 (if it stays current) F-150. I mainly started the mods on this rig to keep me from turning back to the diesel side if I could. The $1200 for intake, exhaust, and tunes is still cheaper than the smoker option in a Superduty, and I think I'll still get better mileage on a cheaper fuel. I just can't see the value of my 2007 in the middle of 2008 with over 100,000 miles on it being very good. Oh, what to do!

Old 01-10-2007 | 04:43 PM
I had the AF1 and used it for towing with my trailer, I coudlnt notice much if any difference in the performance when your loaded down 6000++ lbs as to not having it on at all.

The biggest drawback was the noise level while towing, As you know when towing you keep your foot into it a lot more and the intake noise from running full throtle or higher RPM's drove my family and I crazy after 10 hours of this.

I took the AF1 off on the return trip it was very quite and like I said felt no real difference in performance. For in town driving it was fine, the sporty sound when you got on it sounded good and just crusing around you hardly could hear it. If you tow like I do you may not want to get it as its pretty loud, its why I sold mine.

Old 01-10-2007 | 09:15 PM
If your running just an AF1 without custom tuning your not going to notice much difference either pulling a load or cruising the highway. But with the AF1 and Mikes custom tuning you will notice a BIG difference while doing either. Once you have installed an AF1 you can remove it and reinstall it in less than 15 minutes max...initial installation will take you maybe 25-30 minutes..

And yes, I have spent a lot of time in the past 5 years or so at Mikes shop..
Both working with him and sometimes just hanging out...I have been around a lot of tuners and those that think they are, Mike definately is the best I have ever had the opportunity to know and work with...

Last edited by Marc Carpenter; 01-10-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2007 | 10:18 PM
Forgot to add I did have the XCAL II & the AF1 from Mike.

Old 01-10-2007 | 10:40 PM
When I'm driving around town, I'm on the throttle about 25% most of the time, and no I don't and shouldn't feel a huge increase. However, when going WOT, this combination (AF1 & X Cal 2) really gets it...I was thinking supercharger, but I've backed off because I'm happy with the performance I have...in the near future, I'm adding headers and pulleys and that's it...

Old 01-11-2007 | 08:14 AM
|
Originally Posted by Marc Carpenter
Okay, so if I do it, would you go for the 3-1/4", or stay with the versatility of the 3"? At least with the 3", I can use it if I go back to stock, where the 3-1/4" requires tunes. Mr. Mike Troyer... are you listening? help.

Old 01-11-2007 | 09:17 AM
if it were me I'd go with the 3-1/4 inch or ( 3-1/5 inch)(if it is available) for all the EXTRA POWER. POWER

Old 01-18-2007 | 08:54 AM
|
Originally Posted by jmt0645
if it were me I'd go with the 3-1/4 inch or ( 3-1/5 inch)(if it is available) for all the EXTRA POWER. POWER
So, not like I have enough invested already, I released the order on an Air Raid for my rig last night. I opted for the 3.25", but Troyer was out of them, and Lookie There... the 3.5" ones just came in. So, the 3.5" is it. The only downfall is that I will now have to wait until my tunes come before I can install the CAI. I figured that as long as I went this far with exhaust and tunes, I might as well go for the intake and make the package complete.

Quick Reply: Oh, Brother! Should I do this AF1 Thing, Too?