anybody have S+B Cold Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anybody have S+B Cold Intake

does anybody have a S+B cold air intake.. i just bought one on ebay for 210 including ship and tax.. wanted to see what you thought of it if you do have one..

also whats the intall like on these

Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I just bought the new style one (just released) yesterday. Won't be here until Tuesday though. I can tell you just from my ordering experience that their customer service is phenominal. I was asking the sales girl some questions she didn't know the answer to, so she put an engineer on the phone... I was impressed.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Dinlong, please let us know how you like the new style S&B intake after you get it on. Thanks. Jon

Old 01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
I will be sure to.

I called today for a shipping update and was told there was a delay in their order, the intake should ship in the next couple of days. They wanted to give me a filter cleaning kit for the delay, but I usually just replace filters rather than cleaning them (a new filter is only $30), so the girl in CS said she would see if she could send me an extra filter instead. I told her it wasn't necessary, but it would be a pretty nice surprise.

I may just link to a new thread as I was going to list all my new mods together. I have been really busy the past few weeks adding stuff to the truck. I still have a few things coming too!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 AM
i got mine in on monday.. (s+b intake) and im gunna try to install this week.. if not then on sat.. ill post pics and let u know what it was like..

also... i intalled my edge last night.. love it.. but right now, i have only drvin like 5 miles.. i still have yet to see what its potentials are!

Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Hey Guys,i was looking at this intake aswell,price looks good,anyone try it yet?Is it actually a cold air intake?

Old 01-19-2007, 01:21 PM
installing mine tonight

Old 02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Just wanted to post an update. The intake finally arrived yesterday after a 3 and a half week wait. Apparently the new systems have been on the shelf since just after the first of the year, but S&B has been waiting on their shipping boxes?
They kept pushing back the ship date on me, so I called thursday and told them to either ship that day or cancel the order - got a tracking number a few hours later.

Anyways on to the intake:

The kit is EXTREMELY well made - the R&D time that went into it is readily apparent. Everything is well laid out and the instructions are pretty clear except for 1 part. You need to relocate a resistor box that is against the drivers fender well - they have a pretty crappy picture of this, and it is not mentioned in the directions. If it were not for this 1 omitted step the install probably would have taken half the time. Fit and finish once installed are perfect.

Now everything was installed, so I took it out on the road:

1. sounds AMAZING with my exhaust (Corsa)

2. noticed a bit more pull off the line

3. noticed a HUGE difference in passing on the highway - was not expecting it to be so noticible.

I drove about 50 miles on it yesterday and was very impressed with the results - definitely worth the money spent.

This morning the check engine light did come on - P0171 (fuel system lean) - I was merging on the highway at about 50% throttle, the truck was not completely warmed up, it was about 9 degrees outside. Cleared the code and drove the rest of the way to work (40 mile commute) - the code did not come back.

Oh well - - I figured this might happen and I guess it is actually good that the intake is flowing so much air.

Ordered Troyer Xcal2 this morning, Crystal at Troyer was knowledgable and very nice. I ordered with the forum discount (93 perf, 93 tow, and 87 tow) and cannot wait for it to come! I guess some happy person will be able to buy an almost new EDGE programmer in the classifieds soon!

I posted pictures below, sorry for the crappy res (from my cell) - - I can post some better pictures or answer any questions if people are interested.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, the 04's are prone to the lean condition. I love that intake.

Old 02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
What size is the tube? Anything over 3" is supposed to possibly cause these trucks to lean out without a custom tune.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:10 PM
I didn't measure the tube, but it is not round anyways - it is oval. If memory serves it was roughly 2.5 x 5?

Old 02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by dinlong
Just wanted to post an update. The intake finally arrived yesterday after a 3 and a half week wait. Apparently the new systems have been on the shelf since just after the first of the year, but S&B has been waiting on their shipping boxes?
They kept pushing back the ship date on me, so I called thursday and told them to either ship that day or cancel the order - got a tracking number a few hours later.

Anyways on to the intake:

The kit is EXTREMELY well made - the R&D time that went into it is readily apparent. Everything is well laid out and the instructions are pretty clear except for 1 part. You need to relocate a resistor box that is against the drivers fender well - they have a pretty crappy picture of this, and it is not mentioned in the directions. If it were not for this 1 omitted step the install probably would have taken half the time. Fit and finish once installed are perfect.

Now everything was installed, so I took it out on the road:

1. sounds AMAZING with my exhaust (Corsa)

2. noticed a bit more pull off the line

3. noticed a HUGE difference in passing on the highway - was not expecting it to be so noticible.

I drove about 50 miles on it yesterday and was very impressed with the results - definitely worth the money spent.

This morning the check engine light did come on - P0171 (fuel system lean) - I was merging on the highway at about 50% throttle, the truck was not completely warmed up, it was about 9 degrees outside. Cleared the code and drove the rest of the way to work (40 mile commute) - the code did not come back.

Oh well - - I figured this might happen and I guess it is actually good that the intake is flowing so much air.

Ordered Troyer Xcal2 this morning, Crystal at Troyer was knowledgable and very nice. I ordered with the forum discount (93 perf, 93 tow, and 87 tow) and cannot wait for it to come! I guess some happy person will be able to buy an almost new EDGE programmer in the classifieds soon!

I posted pictures below, sorry for the crappy res (from my cell) - - I can post some better pictures or answer any questions if people are interested.

DinLong,

I am happy to hear that you like the intake system and that it's working well for you. If my memory serves me correctly, I am the one who took your order as well. I do not remember your order being placed 3 weeks ago, but that isn't the point and I apologize for any delay you experienced. As a side note - the engraving you requested looks nice too.

As far as the engine code is concerned, please keep me updated if it happens again. We performed a very detailed examination of the A/F ratio on this system, especially after hearing of all the problems found with our competition's units.

We also didn't limit our testing to only one vehicle too. Instead, we tested our intake system on 7 different trucks that varied in year, mileage, and modifications performed. In fact, we just sent a 2004 F150 on a round trip from California to Utah to test our intake in varying altitude conditions while pulling a 5,000lbs trailer. The owner returned just in time for Superbowl and reported back with no issues and excellent performance.

With that being said, we take every issue regarding our products very seriously. Even though the 2004 model year F150's are shipped from the factory on the lean side, the installation of our intake system shouldn't affect the A/F ratio enough to trigger a code. If anything, the intake should richen the A/F ratio just slightly. If you read a few of my other posts, I briefly explain how we accomplish this by taking a different approach to tuning our intakes.

Again, please call me or email if the problem persists. Ask for me directly (Jay) or you can contact me at the following address -

jcrouch *No Spam* @ *No Spam* sbfilters . com

(Remove the spaces, asterisk, and the words no spam)

Thanks again for your purchase and enjoy that new found power! You hit the nail on the head concerning power and sound, this intake is amazing and I'm quite proud of it!

Cheers!

Old 02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
is that the new model for the 06?

looks totally diff then what i got..

how much was it also?

Old 02-06-2007, 04:15 PM
This is a new system that was just released 1/1/07. Price I believe was about $270ish.

Thanks for the response Jay - I will keep you posted as to what goes on with any future MILs. I really like the custom engraving as well - as I said above this is quite obviously a quality piece.

Caanan

Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by dinlong
Thanks for the response Jay - I will keep you posted as to what goes on with any future MILs. I really like the custom engraving as well - as I said above this is quite obviously a quality piece.

Caanan
I would appreciate that. If there are any issues, we'll handle it right away. Not only do we produce great products, but we stand behind them as well.

On the Flash Tuner Subject -
I have a great relationship with the guys at DiabloSport, SCT, Superchips, and Hypertech. I guess you could say the majority of the Flash tuners on the market. Anyway, we have sent each of them a sample of our kit so they can start their R&D process based on our system.

Now - Our kits are, by far, the best bang for the buck on the market! Not only is the extra cost of a tuner not required for the intake to work properly, but the retail cost of our intake kit is well below market value for system of this caliber. ($269)

For the guys and girls out there that love to modify their trucks without a set budget or if they require a tuner for other reasons; the custom tune from any of the above manufacturers will help extract every last bit of power for your setup. I have no details on when the tunes will be available, but the sample kits have already left the building....

Thanks again everyone and I'll respond more this evening. Work is killing me today!

Cheers!

Quick Reply: anybody have S+B Cold Intake