Volant CAI installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volant CAI

I like the way mine moans at WOT. Other than that no objectionable noises(hood open or closed).

Old 01-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Hello all, forum newbie here. I just picked up one of these Volant intakes locally for $40.00 (what a steal) but filter is dirty. My question is... I have a K&N cleaner and oil kit here from some old filters I had, would it be okay to use this on the Volant? Would the only difference be the oil color?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Volant Intake

I installed one as well, a couple of months back. Feels like it has more power and sharper throttle response, compared to stock. My question, it has been on the truck now for 1000 miles or so, do I need to do anything to prevent a lean condition? So far I have had no CEL or other errors. Looking for some recommendations.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:52 PM
I almost had myself convinced to purchase the volant, but backed out when I couldn't use the long intake tube that runs down towards the bumper. Instead I purchased a S&B from autoanything for close to $240 w/ free shipping.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Unhappy Dynamat didn't help my problem.

I lined my Volant box with two layers of Dynamat and it didn't do s**t.
I also lined completely under the hood with 4 layers of Dynamat and it didn't do s**t either. I can't get the drone and head-numbing loudness to stop at WOT, 70+mph crusing and hill climbs. Anyone have ideas on how to shut this thing up?
Thanks.
Mark

Originally Posted by FX4life
Looks great! The enclosure looks massive in there, but I think your pics may have convinced me to go w/ the volant. before i buy one up, im goin to look more into the mod people make to the enclosure (lining it w/ dynamat to cut down on drone/or excessive noise.) I know you said you only drove around for a bit w/ it yesterday, but after you get somemore drive time w/ it, let me know what you think.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:08 PM
When I install this bad boy.... do i somehow connect the old air inake part that went inot the fender hole to the volant??? or just leave it how it fits, not exactually flush with the fender hole????

Old 04-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Has anyone tried to put a custom ram air tube on this?? Im thinking about running some sort of plastic tube from the ram air inlet on the volant box to somewhere around the bottom front grill area. Has anyone done this??? I can't use the manufactured part because of my fog lights. Let me know if anyone has tried this yet?

Also about the "drone" yeah it had some, so I made a custom extention from the box all the way into the fender, and I also think some of the noise came from the lid of the box not being sealed very well. For now I put on some sealer tape "like whats used for house windows / doors to seal the draft throught the cracks" I put that on the lid, and then tightened it down, it seemed to help so far.... If it doesnt then I will try to just add some more screws on top of the lid.

But the sound is just about right, I can hear the power!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Turn up HardAttack a little louder, Channel 027 It does make noise but what can you expect when you open an intake? My Barracuda gets a whole lot loader when I pull the aircleaner and all 930CFM are looking at the hood. Just comes with the territory. Very clean overall and fit like a glove. I know this board talks a lot of smack on this system but fact of the matter is it's allows your motor to breath a little easier period, the MAF will take car of the A/Fs. I needed to make a custom gasket to keep the steel lid from vibrating, that was my only complaint. Great system otherwise. Again, just turn up HardAttack

Old 04-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by redregf150
the MAF will take car of the A/Fs....
Nope. Not even close.

After making that gasket, spend a little time searchin' here to find out why you statement is incorrect.

I ain't gonna retype it again. no sir LOL!

Agree - helps it breath a little easier, until 4,000 rpm or so. Then it simply lies down. Wow. I guess that WOT 5400 rpm shift point is kinda useless then

Old 04-22-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by 28offroader
Hello all, forum newbie here. I just picked up one of these Volant intakes locally for $40.00 (what a steal) but filter is dirty. My question is... I have a K&N cleaner and oil kit here from some old filters I had, would it be okay to use this on the Volant? Would the only difference be the oil color?

X2
Was wondering the same thing. I have K&N stuff from an old filter, and now have an AF1 filter. So, what's the difference?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:53 PM
I installed an AF1 a little over a month ago and ordered the cleaning / oiling kit at the same time.. the cleaning / oiling kit is made by S&B, as is the filter for the AF1..
I think the only difference perfomance-wise between the S&B and AF1 intake kits is that the AF1 is an open element. Maybe some difference in the bending of the tubes also, not sure.. anyway, the only reason I bought an aftermarket intake in the first place is that I wanted the maximum amount of airflow and I don't see how any enclosed system, no matter the amount of holes drilled in the lid, can equal the induction of an open element.
I've driven with the AF1 through very heavy rain storms, several trips to the car wash, it ain't hydro-locked yet and I don't expect it ever will.. I won't be driving thru rising creeks or deep low-water crossings tho, so who knows..
I've read many threads asking why the S&B (and other enclosed elements) have a whistling sound.. DUH!.. they're sucking air through holes drilled through the enclosures, of course they'll "whistle"..
All I hear from the AF1 is a... well, a rushing of air sound.. not a whistle, just the sound of massive amounts of air being drawn in...

Marge: "Didn't grasshoppers kill Chad Everett?"
Homer: "Only because he tried to reason with them!"

Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
I installed an AF1 a little over a month ago and ordered the cleaning / oiling kit at the same time.. the cleaning / oiling kit is made by S&B, as is the filter for the AF1..
I think the only difference perfomance-wise between the S&B and AF1 intake kits is that the AF1 is an open element. Maybe some difference in the bending of the tubes also, not sure.. anyway, the only reason I bought an aftermarket intake in the first place is that I wanted the maximum amount of airflow and I don't see how any enclosed system, no matter the amount of holes drilled in the lid, can equal the induction of an open element.
I've driven with the AF1 through very heavy rain storms, several trips to the car wash, it ain't hydro-locked yet and I don't expect it ever will.. I won't be driving thru rising creeks or deep low-water crossings tho, so who knows..
I've read many threads asking why the S&B (and other enclosed elements) have a whistling sound.. DUH!.. they're sucking air through holes drilled through the enclosures, of course they'll "whistle"..
All I hear from the AF1 is a... well, a rushing of air sound.. not a whistle, just the sound of massive amounts of air being drawn in...

Marge: "Didn't grasshoppers kill Chad Everett?"
Homer: "Only because he tried to reason with them!"

couldnt have put it better. i love the sound of my AF1. almost like a vacuum.lol

Old 04-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
couldnt have put it better. i love the sound of my AF1. almost like a vacuum.lol
Exactly, very much like a vacuum, plus the freakin' growl on top of that..

Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 AM
i love the growl. but i kinda wish it didnt make any noise, cause my foot has been glued to the floor since i got it

Old 04-23-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
i love the growl. but i kinda wish it didnt make any noise, cause my foot has been glued to the floor since i got it
Hell yeah.. .. same here, I keep wanting to figure out my mpg with it but I keep my foot in it too much to get a real figure.. LOL.. pretty soon tho I'm gonna get out the cam and point it at my dash and get y'all a 0-60 with nothing but the intake and cat-back.. my gut says it's about mid 9's, need to do it before I sack up and get the Xcal2... LOL..

Quick Reply: Volant CAI installed