Anyone running an s&b intake?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When we spoke earlier I told her which intake I had on the truck. She said to definitely write down the model number on the worksheet.

Actually a couple of questions while I have you captive:

What exactly does data logging do?
I am assuming you are reading how well the truck is performing with the custom tunes to see if they can be tweaked at all?

Also how long does it take to get the email with the worksheets?
I placed my order at about 9am and have not gotten anything yet (around 1pm) - I just wasn't sure the kind of turn-around to expect.

Thanks!
Caanan

Old 02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dinlong
When we spoke earlier I told her which intake I had on the truck. She said to definitely write down the model number on the worksheet.

Actually a couple of questions while I have you captive:

What exactly does data logging do?
I am assuming you are reading how well the truck is performing with the custom tunes to see if they can be tweaked at all?

Also how long does it take to get the email with the worksheets?
I placed my order at about 9am and have not gotten anything yet (around 1pm) - I just wasn't sure the kind of turn-around to expect.

Thanks!
Caanan
Hi.

You should be receiving an email with the CPW's within a day or so. Call them if you haven't after that. They are typically very responsive.

Datalogging - in the above email, you'll also receive very comprehensive documentation authored by Mike, explaining the datalogging process and your various options to acquire the data.

This data allows Mike to tweak the tuning as necessary to accomodate any unforseen anomalies in your truck.

Every truck is different, and although Mike can mostly nail them right from the start due to all his many years of experience & extensive R&D, some will still benefit from this. Yours may too, because of your intake and the fact that some (a lot) of 2004's came from the factory with a lean condition to start with.

You don't have to datalog, but I still recommend it if you can swing it.
It's included in the price if the data is fed back within 60 days ( that's the retuning only, not any expenses incurred for dyno time, etc).

Discuss with Mike, and/or do some searching in the Chips forum - plenty of reading to be had

Cheers
Bubba

Old 02-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Sounds great - I will definitely be doing that!

thanks!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:04 PM
Work has me extremely busy today, so I apologize for this brief reply. After hearing about the initial response on the forum and the concerns about our new system, I felt the need to quickly reply. I do promise to provide a more detailed response later this evening after things settle down.

The S&B 75-5016 intake kit is a completely new system that was developed and manufactured by S&B Filters. All of our intake systems can be installed and operated without the fear of a check engine light and/or the installation of an aftermarket tuner to compensate for incorrect MAF readings. Each and every intake system that we produced is extensively tested on our test stand and all the data is compared to the OE unit. This includes all data recorded at every CFM point concerning restriction, MAF output, etc... All of this testing and data logging is then duplicated on an actual vehicle to confirm the results. The in-vehicle testing is obviously our ultimate source for test data, so all fine tuning on the system in completed at that time and then tested again.

Basically, we tune our intake systems in the same manner that an aftermarket programmer will adjust for an out of range MAF or rich/lean condition. The only difference is that we make the changes by modifying the intake tube and a programmer will adjust voltage readings at the ECU.

It is obvious that the 2004 year trucks need an updated instruction sheet and I'll work on that ASAP. Until that is completed, I've changed this application to fit only the 2005+ F150's. This should avoid any further problems until the instructions are updated.

If anyone has any concerns with this intake system, then please just give us a call and we'll be happy to answer any question you have. I apologize again for the brief response and I promise to go into more detail later this evening.

Cheers!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi & Thanks for the feedback Knuckle, but being as it's my (expensive) engine I'd be remiss if I didn't seek independent confirmation - absolutely no offense intended.

That confirmation would be in the form of test results from Mike Troyer @ Troyer Performance - the undisputed leader in F150 performance & tuning.

Also, given I already have an X2 and an LM-1 wideband and have done my own datlogging, it would be trivial for me to re-test and have my tunes revised if I were to go for your intake.

I do agree with the other poster here - your kit looks very well constructed, and the pricing certainly is reasonable. I will check with Mike to see if he is going to consider selling these as he does other S&B products, and if he is intending to / has tested the intake himself.

Thanks again - your posts are very articulate and make for absorbing reading.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 02-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi & Thanks for the feedback Knuckle, but being as it's my (expensive) engine I'd be remiss if I didn't seek independent confirmation - absolutely no offense intended.

Cheers
Bubba
Bubba,

I can respect that, especially since no member here really knows who I am. If you don't know me personally, then how can you truly trust me? This is why I've tried to provide as much technical information as possible and then stood back to let our products prove themselves out.

I've also tried very hard not "sell" any of our products here, but rather just explain the advantages the S&B kit has over the competition to any member that asks. Once I'm here only to sell product, my trust level goes away as well.

Hopefully one day I'll be able to earn the trust of the forum members. Until that day comes, I'll patiently wait while our products prove themselves out.

Cheers!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 AM
I just wanted to post an update. Since clearing the MIL yesterday I have put on about 110 miles. The light has not come on and there are no stored codes.
Will keep you guys updated.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:14 PM

I just wanted to post an update. Since clearing the MIL yesterday I have put on about 110 miles. The light has not come on and there are no stored codes.
Will keep you guys updated.
You think you had a loose connection that assisted in the trouble code or something?

Old 02-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Hi.

CEL's may not be truly indicative of a problem ( or lack of one)...

A good read:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...91&postcount=6

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...23&postcount=9

Cheers
Bubba

Old 02-07-2007, 12:40 PM

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have an a/f gauge anyway just for monitoring purposes. I must research.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
You think you had a loose connection that assisted in the trouble code or something?

Doubtful - the kit was installed by myself and my shop foreman. He is an ASE + Nissan master tech for years (I work at a Nissan dealership). We rechecked everything yesterday morning before I posted here and everything was nice and tight.

One thought is I not only disconnected my battery, but also did a fresh load of the EDGE programming. I suppose it is possible the MIL was a byproduct of the ECM self learning process.

Oh well - will continue to monitor and let you know what I find.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:49 PM

Doubtful - the kit was installed by myself and my shop foreman. He is an ASE + Nissan master tech for years (I work at a Nissan dealership). We rechecked everything yesterday morning before I posted here and everything was nice and tight.

One thought is I not only disconnected my battery, but also did a fresh load of the EDGE programming. I suppose it is possible the MIL was a byproduct of the ECM self learning process.

Oh well - will continue to monitor and let you know what I find.
OK, thanks guy.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

My kit will be here today, if only the ups guy came before 7p.m.
Ill get it in maybe tonight, but probably tommorow after noon and let yall know. I dont expect any problems.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
My kit will be here today, if only the ups guy came before 7p.m.
Ill get it in maybe tonight, but probably tommorow after noon and let yall know. I dont expect any problems.
Let us now man IM looking at this or an Airraid JR.

Quick Reply: Anyone running an s&b intake?