do side exit exhaust still ruin wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do side exit exhaust still ruin wheels??

Hey everyone, just registered today. This website is pretty cool. Remember when the new style f150's came out in I think 1996-97? They all had a side exit exhaust right in front of the rear passenger wheel. Like the Lightning. My dad had a f150 like that and he had a recall because the aluminum wheel and center cap were corroding and peeling. Apparently from the hot moist sulpher laden exhaust. The recall was to replace this side exit with a rear one.

The reason I'm asking is I've just had my 2006 f350 psd stolen and have bought a '07 harley f150 in place. The stock exhaust sounds ok, but not quite enough for this boy. I would like to go with a side lightning style cat back but am worried about the 22'' wheels!

I would like dual tips welded on and made of good stainless. I've read on here that some Magnaflows rust???!! Maybe corsa, dynomax, borla?? I like loud, and very deep tones but not annoying. What have you guys got?

Looks like I'll go with a Troyer intake (air raid??) and tuner.

Any advice would be awesome I get my truck this week. Pics soon fellas!!

Thanks!

Last edited by heavyhog; 02-18-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:19 PM
adt
Welcome to our cult. I think you'll enjoy it hear. I have the exhaust set-up you're talking about. I like it and I've never had any problems with my 20s. I really like that look cause you don't see it on every truck on the road. Everyone has dual tips out the back or dual side exits. I don't think you'll have any problems with the side exit in front of the tire. BTW: Flowmaster 40 series. Very loud

Last edited by adt; 02-18-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at Corsa, Bassani, Flowmaster and Magnaflow. How loud is your 40 inside? I do a lot of highway.

Also I read a lot of people loose mpg with some of these cat backs. I would think its mostly a case of "listen to my pistons" foot

Ive read pretty much everything on here on exhausts, but some sound clips of these lightning style systems would be great. Hope its not too much trouble!

Thanks.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by adt
Welcome to our cult. I think you'll enjoy it hear. I have the exhaust set-up you're talking about. I like it and I've never had any problems with my 20s. I really like that look cause you don't see it on every truck on the road. Everyone has dual tips out the back or dual side exits. I don't think you'll have any problems with the side exit in front of the tire. BTW: Flowmaster 40 series. Very loud

when you say loud, do you mean a drone? I really like the look you have there, and have considered either this setup or just dumping it....but I think dumping would add a LOT of drone...

Last edited by dinty; 02-20-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:01 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
here's my side exit

NO PROBLEMS WITH THE WHEELS

there's alot of guys on the NHTOC site that run their Harley exhaust out the sides too MY HARLEY TRUCK IS BONE STOCK and I like the duals behind the rear wheels

Old 02-20-2007, 06:29 PM
What exhaust are you running. Looks clean. Just the right spacing and exit. Could I trouble you for a sound clip??

Its hard to find sound clips of forward side exhaust. Everyone has rear exits.

Hice Harley!

Quick Reply: do side exit exhaust still ruin wheels??