Magnaflow 16612 ordered!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007 | 04:06 PM
Zig
Originally Posted by kd4crs
Zig, Your tip is where I want mine to be. Mine is all the way up at the fender opening. I just don't see how flipping the muffler will move my tip to the rear though. Thanks very much for the pictures.
You are right flipping the muffler won't change the proximity of the pipe to the fender opening. What it did do was change how far the tip stuck out from my truck. Before it stuck out way to far but now you can see that it sticks out just far enough to read Magnaflow. I have some of the before pics in my gallery.

I can't figure out why yours would end up in a different location than mine. Do you have any pictures?

Old 03-20-2007 | 04:18 PM
Zig
Originally Posted by 02XLT
All of your hangers lined up without having to bend or anything right? That is strange that you are having an issue. Did you use the correct inlet pipe? I think there was an 18inch or 24inch pipe you use depending on model year? Just asking I doubt you could put the wrong one on due to hanger locations...

Also now that it is daylight and I can see my truck better, my tailpipe is right at the end of the fender well. On the FX4 we have the lip molding on the wheel wells. My tip it right under the molding, not in the wheel well mind you, but right under the molding. It looks fine though... So it appears my location is the same as yours??

-Brian
Hmmm...not sure why my truck would end up with exhaust at a different location than yours & kd4crs. We all have the same year SCREW with the 5.5' bed. Mine is a 2WD whereas your are both 4WD but according to Magnaflows site that doesn't seem to matter only the cab and the bed length.

Old 03-20-2007 | 06:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

All the hangers lined up OK and I used the correct inlet pipe (the shorter one). I will take some pics and try to get them up tonight. :o

Old 03-20-2007 | 07:03 PM
I am getting ready to order from Performance Peddler, but want to make sure I get the right kit. I have a 2005 FX4 Super Cab Flareside. The kit I want is the 16614, right? All the sites say this is for Ext. Cab/Crew Cab, short bed. Is the short bed the 6.5 or 5.5? If it will fit a Screw with the 5.5, it should fit my Scab with the 6.5 right?

Anybody have this setup on a truck like mine? I don't want to order the wrong kit.

Old 03-20-2007 | 08:04 PM
|
Originally Posted by KrisGarnerFX4
I am getting ready to order from Performance Peddler, but want to make sure I get the right kit. I have a 2005 FX4 Super Cab Flareside. The kit I want is the 16614, right? All the sites say this is for Ext. Cab/Crew Cab, short bed. Is the short bed the 6.5 or 5.5? If it will fit a Screw with the 5.5, it should fit my Scab with the 6.5 right?

Anybody have this setup on a truck like mine? I don't want to order the wrong kit.

16614 if you want dual exhaust, 16613 for SI/SO like we have...

-Brian

Old 03-20-2007 | 08:11 PM

Here is a pic of the tip. Others are in my gallery. See what I mean? Too close to mount mudguards.

Old 03-20-2007 | 08:52 PM
|
Yea, that's pretty much were my tip is also... I don't think it looks to close to the mud guard, you don't want it pointing down, you know what I mean? I think it looks fine and I am pretty picky...

-Brian

Old 03-20-2007 | 08:57 PM

02XLT, I mean it is too close to the fender opening for me to mount molded mudguards like Husky mudguards or the Ford ones. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Old 03-20-2007 | 11:31 PM
Zig
Here is a pic of the tip. Others are in my gallery. See what I mean? Too close to mount mudguards.
I looked at your gallery and noticed that your muffler is oriented they way I had mine at first. When I flipped it 180 degrees so that the outlet is on the inside rather that the outside it will make the pipe fit better. See the pictures below for how it looked before and after and see that it did move the position of the tip back. How does the hanger on the last piece fit in the bushing? The hanger on mine before twisted the bushing a little bit whereas now it sits just right. I'll try and get some more pics tomorrow.

Before

After

Old 03-20-2007 | 11:50 PM

Zig, now that you mention it, the last hanger is twisted about 20 degrees in the bushing. Maybe flipping the muffler is the answer. I just hate to tear it all apart and then have it not make a difference or worse yet, have it be even more poorly positioned.

Old 03-21-2007 | 12:49 AM
Zig
Zig, now that you mention it, the last hanger is twisted about 20 degrees in the bushing. Maybe flipping the muffler is the answer. I just hate to tear it all apart and then have it not make a difference or worse yet, have it be even more poorly positioned.
Thats how mine was. I was able to just loosen the last 2 hangers from the frame and then loosen the u clamp at the back of the muffler and pull the piping away from the muffler. At this point I took off the u clamp at the front of the muffler to pull it off, rotate it and reclamp it all back. All in all it took about 20 minutes or so. You don't have to take the whole thing apart. You can see in the pictures that it made a big difference and I was glad I did it. I'll try and grab some more after pictues tomorrow.

How long has your system been installed?

Old 03-21-2007 | 08:32 AM
|
Yea if I remember correctly my last hanger is slightly twisted and those last tail pieces didn't want to connect to well when putting them together, but my tip just hangs out enough to see the Magnaflow engraving... I'll take some pics next time I wash it up...

-Brian

Old 03-21-2007 | 08:39 AM

Zig and 02XLT, thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Old 03-21-2007 | 05:39 PM

I got curious after re-reading the instructions and looking at everything, so I called Magnaflow's technical support number and got to speak to a nice guy who told me the correct orientation for the muffler on this system is VERTICAL with the outlet at the bottom! I would never have thought to try that. I am going out as soon as I change clothes (and the truck cools down) and loosen it all up and give that a try. Wish me luck.

Old 03-21-2007 | 07:11 PM
|
I got curious after re-reading the instructions and looking at everything, so I called Magnaflow's technical support number and got to speak to a nice guy who told me the correct orientation for the muffler on this system is VERTICAL with the outlet at the bottom! I would never have thought to try that. I am going out as soon as I change clothes (and the truck cools down) and loosen it all up and give that a try. Wish me luck.
interesting...

-Brian

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 16612 ordered!