24" or 18" Magnaflow Help???

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007 | 11:18 PM
|
Question 24" or 18" Magnaflow Help???

I've been looking at these boards for a little while about what exhaust is recommended. I like others want to replace just the muffler. I'm debating the 18 or 24 Maggie....but I;ve been confused by these boards. I saw several posts recommending the 18 and wae pretty much sold on it. However, I see a newer post recommending the 24. Here are my questions....

1. Is the 18" a loud muffler....please tell why yes or no
2. Is the 24" basically the sound of stock or louder....explain
3. what the hell is drone and will either of these have drone
4. Maggie users (18 or 24)that have either one of these....tell me your impression and would you go louder or quieter.

Any and all feedback on these two would greatly be appreciated.

Old 03-01-2007 | 11:39 PM
Welcome
Answers
1. Is the 18" a loud muffler....please tell why yes or no
Can't answer because everyone has a different definition of loud
The shorter the muffler is the louder it will be

2. Is the 24" basically the sound of stock or louder....explain
No it will be louder due to the size and configuration of the muffler design

3. what the hell is drone and will either of these have drone
Drone is also based on personal definition of what loud is when it comes to interior noise. 18" is a good size to go with if you are unsure. 24 is quiet and you might kick yourself later. 14" is louder

4. Maggie users (18 or 24)that have either one of these....tell me your impression and would you go louder or quieter.
I have been running 18" since 8/05 and even on long trips (1000mi round trip) there has never been a noise problem with no music on.......
I know because everything my wife says to me I HEAR IT :o

Last edited by anaheim_drew; 03-01-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2007 | 11:41 PM
|
????

Old 03-02-2007 | 01:51 AM
I installed an 18" Magnaflow a couple of months ago and really like it. It is not loud at all, but when you step on it you hear a low throaty sound. It was just right for me.

Old 03-02-2007 | 09:49 AM
|
Sorry for the ??? Anaheim.....it didn't show your answers when I pulled up the post last night. I can see them now...thanks!

Anyone else running a maggie 18 or 24? Let me know your comments.
(The next size up from a 18 is 24 right? or 22?)

Old 03-02-2007 | 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by westtex
Sorry for the ??? Anaheim.....it didn't show your answers when I pulled up the post last night. I can see them now...thanks!

Anyone else running a maggie 18 or 24? Let me know your comments.
(The next size up from a 18 is 24 right? or 22?)

I had the 18 SIDO it had a good sound, I now have a DIDO 14" its way too loud! I would go with the 18

Old 03-02-2007 | 11:02 AM
I bought a Magnaflow kit with a 24" muffler.

I would not want anything louder. As anaheim_drew said, it is a personal preference. I bought my exhaust because it is stainless steel, and for a slight performance increase. I didn't buy it to hear it all day. The 24" is louder than stock, and sounds great on these trucks. Also, no complaints from passengers (the old lady!). Perfect for me.

Old 03-02-2007 | 11:42 AM
Question

I want to do a magnaflow muffler only swap. I want it loud, but not an annoying loud, i want deep sound. I was thinking of the 6"round 14"long si/so, anybody have this set-up or opinions on how it will sound. I'm also put a new s/s tip on, the stock one allready looks like crap. I have an 06,5.4 screw.

Old 03-02-2007 | 02:32 PM
I have the 18" cat back system and the sound is perfect. I didn't want a loud system.

Since you are only replacing the muffler, I take it that you are going for sound over performance. I have no experience with the 24" but I can't imagine it being much different than stock given the volume of my 18".

You can hear the 18" at startup and WOT with only a rumble in between unless under load. At 55 mph you can't hear mine at all, even with the back window open. Around 70mph (2k rpm) you start to hear it again in the cab, but just barely.

Old 03-02-2007 | 02:35 PM
I have a 14" maggi SI/DO exiting right in front of the passenger rear tire. not loud at all. I love it, and my wife doesnt think it's loud at all either..with the 18", the only way you will know you have a Maggie is in HP not sound

Old 03-03-2007 | 02:56 AM
Wednesday I had the stock muffler replaced with a 24" Magnaflow. At idle it is a little louder than stock, but not all that much. At cruise (65 mph) I can hear it and again it is not really that loud. It is loud when moving up to cruise speed with my foot in it. It definitely improved the throttle response. Ordered a S&B, should be here Monday or Tuesday. Kind of interested how the CAI will workout with the new maggie. Do not have a programmer. So far it is working out just fine. Wife had no complaints after the maggie install. Drove a friends 07 decked out about the same as mine. His had the 18" and it was to loud for me. I am 58 and don't care for the loud exhausts anymore, but I used to. In a nutshell the 24" is perfect for my kind of driving. I chased tail lights and loud exhausts for 25 years as a Oklahoma state trooper (retired in 04). Now all I do is just sit back and enjoy the scenery while driving the new 07 FX4. Traded an 04 F250 FX4 w/V10 for the 150. Got a smaller RV now and didn't need the V10 anymore. And number 1 and 2 son's are off to college so the larger rear seat area of the 250 Screw was not needed either.

2007 Silver Screw FX4 3.73 LS 5.4

Old 03-03-2007 | 03:03 AM
I started out with a 24" magnaflow and have since put on an 18" magnaflow. For me the 24 was just a little to quiet but the 18 is a bit over the top.....just my opinion.

Old 03-03-2007 | 03:35 AM
Originally Posted by trooper180
Ordered a S&B, should be here Monday or Tuesday. Kind of interested how the CAI will workout with the new maggie. Do not have a programmer.

I am 58 and don't care for the loud exhausts anymore, but I used to. In a nutshell the 24" is perfect for my kind of driving. I chased tail lights and loud exhausts for 25 years as a Oklahoma state trooper (retired in 04).
2007 Silver Screw FX4 3.73 LS 5.4
Hey trooper180
I was going to say welcome due to your 5 post but then noticed that you have been a member since 2002

I'm going with the 24" not because my 18" is too loud for me but because I love how our insurance rates keep going down. So the choice for me was;
a)stay out of the higher rpm range
b)reduce the volume to draw less attention

Old 03-03-2007 | 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
Hey trooper180
I was going to say welcome due to your 5 post but then noticed that you have been a member since 2002
Darn, didn't know that I have been a member that long. Haven't done much posting until here recently. Guess I was to busy with the job and stayed away.

For me the 24" is plenty loud enough. Forgot to mention that I followed my truck (wife driving it) in one of our other vehicles just to see how loud the 24 incher was. I could definitely hear it accelerating from the stop signs. Got quieter after shifting into overdrive.

Later on today we will be making a 260 mile round trip. This will give me more time to check the new maggie out.

Really interested in the tow performance after the S&B is installed.

I'll try to be on here more often.

Old 03-03-2007 | 06:02 AM
trooper

Originally Posted by trooper180
Darn, didn't know that I have been a member that long. Haven't done much posting until here recently. Guess I was to busy with the job and stayed away.

For me the 24" is plenty loud enough. Forgot to mention that I followed my truck (wife driving it) in one of our other vehicles just to see how loud the 24 incher was. I could definitely hear it accelerating from the stop signs. Got quieter after shifting into overdrive.

Later on today we will be making a 260 mile round trip. This will give me more time to check the new maggie out.

Really interested in the tow performance after the S&B is installed.

I'll try to be on here more often.
welcome 180- post back on the sound levels of the trip-phil

Quick Reply: 24" or 18" Magnaflow Help???