New S&B arrived today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007 | 01:24 AM
|
New S&B arrived today

Got it early this afternoon from Troyer. Took it out of the box and made some close-up photos in case you all are interested. Click on the link below to see them. I am impressed with the construction. It is well built. Planning on hooking it up later today. Don't think I can post photos yet so I put them on my personal Website. The flashlight is there to give an idea as to the size of this thing. It is big.

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/sb.htm

2007 Silver Screw FX4 3.73 LS 5.4 w/24" 12286 Magnaflow S&B CAI

Last edited by trooper180; 03-08-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-08-2007 | 10:13 AM
Hi Troop.

Thanks for that - very nice. Looks better made than the Volants I've seen. The Filter looks far less constrained & shrouded in that huge airbox ( which is part of Volant's problem).

What's your take on the area where the MAF mounts? Does the tube look 'pinched' in any way?

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 03-08-2007 | 10:55 AM
Good pics, let us know how you like it.

Old 03-09-2007 | 06:57 PM
Have you had the chance to put that on? After weeks of waiting for the darn thing, I finally got it and installed it. Well here is my impression on this thing. I did notice quicker throttle response with amount 1.2 MPG increase (Not thing to really about) Anyways, during hard accel. I have heavy drone in the cab, very very annoying issue. If I knew of the problem before I purchased it, I've would stayed with my moded OEM intake instead. FYI, my rig is 2004 FX4 crewcab, Borla stainless steele exhaust, Edge Evo level 2, stock 18" rim and tires. Think twice before buying for those who are noise sensitive.

Old 03-09-2007 | 08:10 PM
I posted about the little bit of a drone you get under heavy acceleration in my review and install post. But I for the life of me will never understand why some people buy a truck and then do mod's and complain about the noise that results. Why buy a exhaust if you don't want to hear it? Why buy a intake if you don't want to hear it? Leave your truck stock if you don't want to listen to alittle bit of noise. Seriously what do you expect when you open a truck up with intake and exhaust? For it to stay almost completely silent?

The S&B intake only has a drone when you put your lead foot down. Under normal driving and cruising there is little to no sound from under the hood. My old truck with the 4.6L had the intake mod done to it and made as much noise as the S&B does. It is by no means annoying or loud.

Old 03-09-2007 | 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by kingofkings
I posted about the little bit of a drone you get under heavy acceleration in my review and install post. But I for the life of me will never understand why some people buy a truck and then do mod's and complain about the noise that results. Why buy a exhaust if you don't want to hear it? Why buy a intake if you don't want to hear it? Leave your truck stock if you don't want to listen to alittle bit of noise. Seriously what do you expect when you open a truck up with intake and exhaust? For it to stay almost completely silent?

The S&B intake only has a drone when you put your lead foot down. Under normal driving and cruising there is little to no sound from under the hood. My old truck with the 4.6L had the intake mod done to it and made as much noise as the S&B does. It is by no means annoying or loud.

agreed. i actuaully like the noise it makes

Old 03-09-2007 | 10:20 PM
Smile Suggestion...

Perhaps some sound proofing is in order...?

Old 03-10-2007 | 01:34 AM
I got mine today, too. It didn't fit right, so back it goes

It's like my TB sits up too high or something and there was a 2" difference in height where the tube is supposed to connect to the filter box.

My truck is an '06 XLT 5.4 FFV BTW.

Gonna have to look at some others. I'm bummed.

Old 03-10-2007 | 08:35 AM
What part number

Alfack, What was the S&B part# you ordered ?

Old 03-10-2007 | 10:08 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by alfack

It's like my TB sits up too high or something and there was a 2" difference in height where the tube is supposed to connect to the filter box.

Why not call them and figure out the problem before jumping the gun on a return? Others have had no problems with the intake.

Old 03-10-2007 | 12:12 PM
I have the S&B also. I got it before my exhaust and it definately increased the sound/noise in the cab. I think it sounds good! Like a truck should. Especially now with the Banks and Evo lvl 3. No fitment issues either.

PB

Old 03-10-2007 | 01:00 PM
|

Installed mine yesterday evening, took about an hour. I had the same problem with the difference in height. Not quite 2 inches but after loosening up the clamps and readjusting the fit was perfect. Love the noise it makes when my foot is in it. Pretty quiet at cruise speed. Not sure if the maggie 24" is any louder or not, need to get some more road time.

Did notice one thing after the S&B install. I am hearing what sounds like alternator whine, or maybe belt noise. My darn hearing is shot so not really sure what it is. Didn't notice this with the factory intake setup. Notice it mostly at idle speed. After warmup it appears to go away. Maybe the stock intake was masking the sound. Only got 3,000 miles on the truck so no big deal. May stop by the dealer next week and have them listen to it.

Got no CEL after the install, even after several hard accelerations.

Overall I am tickled pink with the new 24" maggie and the S&B. Exhaust is noisy when accelerating and pretty quiet at cruise. I love the low rumble when crusing at highway speeds.

Main thing is that I can hear the Icom 706MKIIG ham radio internal speaker with both the S&B and the exhaust.

For my kind of driving the S&B and 24" maggie are just fine. Noise is there and is not annoying.

2007 Silver Screw FX4 (3rd FX4) 5.4 3.73LS 20" stock wheels S&B CAI 24" Magnaflow

Old 03-10-2007 | 06:24 PM
I don't recall the part number. It was the correct part for the 2004-2007 models, supposedly. I already packed it back up. I was disappointed with some other things as well, like the way the tube, above the throttle body would hit the heat shield on my firewall and the way the hose clamps fit on the plastic parts. Also on the last joint, not only was there a 2" height diff., but the pieces overlapped lengthwise and you are supposed to center these pieces between the "hump" gasket. Also, the hump gasket was hitting the power steering reservoir and I did not like that. I don't know if there is a difference between FFV or not, but I am not going to pay $300 for something that doesn't fit. Does everyone else have a TB that is vertical? It looks like most of the kits are designed for TBs that are horizontal and face the front of the truck.

You can see from the pic below, what I am talking about. If I tried to move the tube down, the gasket would lift off the back side of the TB.

Last edited by alfack; 03-10-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-10-2007 | 09:07 PM
|
You can see from the pic below, what I am talking about. If I tried to move the tube down, the gasket would lift off the back side of the TB.

See what you are talking about. For some reason I didn't have that much offset. It was something like a 1/2 inch, not much. Did you reroute the harness that is under the box. The instructions said to move the harness close to the inside fender. If it wasn't moved then possibly that would lift the fender side of the box which would make the alignment a problem, similiar to what is in your photo. The bushings under the box: did you install them, or maybe tightened them to much. Heck, I am not trying to be picky because I am sure you know what you are doing, just trying to help out. On the TB end of the tube, maybe you didn't insert the tube far enough into the rubber boot which goes over the TB. What year model is your 150? Mine is an 07. Seems like I read where the 04's require a different design than the 05's and up. Offhand I can't think of anything else.

If it isn't going to fit then I am with you, get something else. Maybe a call to S&B might help.

All I can say is that I had no problems with the fit. The slight alignment problem that I had was corrected after loosening and retightening the clamps.

I am sure someone who is more knowledgeable than I will have a solution.

Old 03-15-2007 | 07:31 PM
The S&B looks pretty nice. It appears more factory looking than the others out there, which is what I'm looking for. I like the Volant as well, but I hear it doesn't quite produce results.

Thanks for the pics!

Quick Reply: New S&B arrived today