probably a dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007 | 08:28 PM
|
probably a dumb question

This is no doubt a dumbass question, but I'll ask it anyhow.. and I AM seeking enlightenment on this so any info would be very much appreciated..
What would be the point in installing a FIPK on my 05 4.6l s'crew? from looking at a few manufacturers sites they all seem to claim ~ 6 to 10 hp gain at 4700 rpm or higher. Seeing as how I only reach 5000 or so when I'm passing on two-lane highways, and certainly don't spend much time there, how would a new intake benefit me? I recall that the K&N site makes no mention of mpg gains, don't remember noticing on the other sites. I'm just starting with mods, all I've done to this point is a borla cat-back, and have just started looking into intakes. Other than sound tho, is there any benefit to dropping $250 or more on a CAI when I'll seldom be at the revs where there's a hp gain? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 03-19-2007 | 12:29 PM
BSL
I don't know much about intakes, but it does sound like there mainly for higher rpm power. if you're looking for power across the board i'd say some sort of tuner should be your next mod, since they're only a little more than what you're looking at with an intake. hope that helps.

Old 03-22-2007 | 02:06 AM
|
yeah, I think I'll check out what Mr. Troyer has to offer re tuners.. the borla I put on actually made a difference I can feel from 1500 - 3500.. I'm def a little quicker off the line.. lol.. I love my free extended warranty, so from what Ive read here I assume an Edge or such can be reset to stock and unplugged when I take the truck in for service?

Old 03-22-2007 | 02:10 AM

Just because a max HP or Torque number is given at say... 5200rpm... doesn't mean it isnt making more HP/TQ at 2500rpm... of course... doesn't mean it is either... you really need to see the dyno graph.... to KNOW.

Old 03-22-2007 | 11:04 AM
i would definatly agree with BSL... sounds like what you want is a tuner

Old 03-22-2007 | 12:26 PM
LRG
It's true that a tuner would give you a more noticeable difference in drivability. But also remember that a CAI is part of the big picture and could help the rest of the components (exhaust, tuner) to improve the overall performance. Personally I'm going to do exhaust first, then CAI and TP tune at the same time since the new style trucks are prone to running lean and throwing a CEL with some CAI's.

Quick Reply: probably a dumb question