got my high flow cats, question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got my high flow cats, question...

I got two 94306's, which is what TP says I need for my truck. I understood when I ordered them that by replacing all 4 with these 2, I would be legal still. However (I know nothing of this stuff), there are no inserts in the cats for my rear o2 sensors. So...will the exhaust shop just tap into the exhaust pipe and put them in there, or is there something I'm missing or overlooked?

jeff

Old 03-20-2007, 04:35 PM
?

Originally Posted by punkrocker5817
I got two 94306's, which is what TP says I need for my truck. I understood when I ordered them that by replacing all 4 with these 2, I would be legal still. However (I know nothing of this stuff), there are no inserts in the cats for my rear o2 sensors. So...will the exhaust shop just tap into the exhaust pipe and put them in there, or is there something I'm missing or overlooked?

jeff
have them weld on 2 02 bungs-these will need a hole for the sensors to get readings- 18mm threads i believe-phil

Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
bungs? i thought the proper name was boss?

either way, the exhaust shop should have some on hand, make sure they do first obviously. all they will do is blow a hole with o/a and weld it in.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:47 AM
ok, well if your just replacing the cats, your o2 sensors will be fine, they are already mounted in your factory pipe, when they replace the cats, they will just cut out the old one and weld the new ones in its place. And since you are removing all 4 factory cats, the exhaust shop will just cut out the other 2 and weld in a piece of equal diameter pipe. You should not have to worry about the o2 senors they should be fine in their current location

Old 03-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally Posted by OneBadFX2
ok, well if your just replacing the cats, your o2 sensors will be fine, they are already mounted in your factory pipe, when they replace the cats, they will just cut out the old one and weld the new ones in its place. And since you are removing all 4 factory cats, the exhaust shop will just cut out the other 2 and weld in a piece of equal diameter pipe. You should not have to worry about the o2 senors they should be fine in their current location

well I took a look under the truck, and the rear 02 sensors are mounted in the rear cats, not just in the piping around them.

thanks guys. I wonder how much this is going to cost.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I wonder too, I am fixing to have to replace the two of my cats (passenger side) and the shop quoted me about $600 a side to replace the factory ones. If I decide to go with 2 hi flows in place of the all four factory what kind of $$ could I expect to spend? Any body got an idea?

Old 03-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by hawg_man
Yeah I wonder too, I am fixing to have to replace the two of my cats (passenger side) and the shop quoted me about $600 a side to replace the factory ones. If I decide to go with 2 hi flows in place of the all four factory what kind of $$ could I expect to spend? Any body got an idea?
I got my 2 from TP for 168 shipped. But I did find some places on google after I bought them that were slightly cheaper. I've heard that installation is less than $100, but I'm not sure. seems like its a bit time consuming, with having to cut pipe, mount 02 sensors in new location, and all the welding.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 PM
well thats great news on the price cause I was actually gonna go have it done for the $600 until I started reading on here, this place is so awesome for everything involving our trucks. I called the shop that did my new muffler and pipes and they also said that they wouldnt install any cats that werent sold there, bs.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:20 PM
i went to a local exhaust shop here in tallahassee, i also have the 94306's sitting in the backseat of my truck now, especially since the shop wanted $250 for labor, i told them i wasnt paying nearly that much cuz i had the ideaof around 100 since thats what everyone else is saying they paid on here, the owner said it is easily 2 hours of work cutting the pipe and adding new bent pipe to accomodate for the 2 removed cats. he said the best he could do for me was 200. i told him to f off and figured i would look arounf for someone else to do it, he also tried convincing me not to bother even putting them in, he said that the mags and all other aftermarket cats are a waste of money because they are cheaply made and dont last nearly as long as oem. so i dont know what to do at this point!

Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by BlackedOutF150
i went to a local exhaust shop here in tallahassee, i also have the 94306's sitting in the backseat of my truck now, especially since the shop wanted $250 for labor, i told them i wasnt paying nearly that much cuz i had the ideaof around 100 since thats what everyone else is saying they paid on here, the owner said it is easily 2 hours of work cutting the pipe and adding new bent pipe to accomodate for the 2 removed cats. he said the best he could do for me was 200. i told him to f off and figured i would look arounf for someone else to do it, he also tried convincing me not to bother even putting them in, he said that the mags and all other aftermarket cats are a waste of money because they are cheaply made and dont last nearly as long as oem. so i dont know what to do at this point!
yeah, I guess that's why they come with a lifetime warranty...

mechanics **** me off. But I do think 100 is pretty miniscule for all that has to happen in our scenario. although I dont want it to be.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:01 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Any exhaust system modifications in a shop that involve the converters can leave the shop open for scrutiny by the EPA. You can't condemn a shop that refuses to touch cats unless they sell them to you is merely protecting themselves. Around here, there's not a shop that I'm aware of that will replace a cat with anything but an OEM or certified OEM replacement. If you are looking for custom work - like you are - you are at their mercy, you may have to do a lot of looking to find a shop willing to look the other way and give you a deal that's acceptable to you. The potential fine for modifying emissions controls is now up to $25,000.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:05 PM
I actually found a shop round here that checked em out for me, he pressure tested them to see if they were clogged or not and determined that they werent, which didnt surprise me because it aint running funny or guzzling the gas (any more than usual). Now I am gonna take it to a guy and have the EGR checked out, etc......

Old 03-22-2007, 04:33 PM
I understood when I ordered them that by replacing all 4 with these 2, I would be legal still.
In some states, yes.

I states with a visual inspection, no, you would fail this part of the test.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
In some states, yes.

I states with a visual inspection, no, you would fail this part of the test.
I dont understand that. Why if they clean the air better would it be illegal? Troyer says legal in all states.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:39 AM
I dont understand that. Why if they clean the air better would it be illegal? Troyer says legal in all states.
In Ca you would need a C.A.R.B. cert. to be legal. Do they come with one in the package??

Quick Reply: got my high flow cats, question...