Best Intake??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007 | 08:18 AM
|
Talking Best Intake??????

Read many of the threads on here and I was wonder what everyone thinks is the best air intake for a 2005 5.4L, I've seen many people are running the Air Force One, but is it really better than say K&N, or any other Air Intake out there??????????? My truck is stock on all performance mods and I am ready to start adding them this spring/summer. I have exterior/cosmetic mods like nerf bars, bed rails, bull guard, chrome package, custom grill, etc... feel its time for the performance to start catching up with the look!! Any Opinions as to great products is much appreciated.

Old 03-26-2007 | 02:16 PM
I purchased the Volant because the air filter is inside the air box. No hot intake air,just ambient air supplied from the fender intake or the ram tube option.
Just my $.02

Old 03-26-2007 | 02:19 PM
Old 03-26-2007 | 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
There ya go... if you ever want advice call Troyer!!! That guy really knows his stuff

Old 03-27-2007 | 09:21 AM
|
thanks for the help! Got a few thousand saved up for any mods I may make this summer, so I try to read what I can here as to the whats what of good stuff to invest in. Figured since the the motor and everything is stock if your going to start adding on you might as well do it right!!!!!! so if anyone has any additional "MUST HAVE" mod ideas hit me up with them because all suggestions are welcomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2007 | 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by angrydawg
thanks for the help! Got a few thousand saved up for any mods I may make this summer, so I try to read what I can here as to the whats what of good stuff to invest in. Figured since the the motor and everything is stock if your going to start adding on you might as well do it right!!!!!! so if anyone has any additional "MUST HAVE" mod ideas hit me up with them because all suggestions are welcomed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi - custom tuning - from the same guy in that link - do this mod first

Old 03-28-2007 | 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi - custom tuning - from the same guy in that link - do this mod first
MGDfan, am I doing it ***-backwards?.. added a cat-back, have an AF1 on order and then planned on some Troyer tunes.. is this gonna create problems?.. any advice much appreciated!!

Old 03-28-2007 | 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
MGDfan, am I doing it ***-backwards?.. added a cat-back, have an AF1 on order and then planned on some Troyer tunes.. is this gonna create problems?.. any advice much appreciated!!
Hi Tex.

Not really... just that by itself, the tuner is the single most effective mod, and is typically recommended as the first mod to do.

You can do them in any order you choose - you would be specifying your mods @ tuner order time anyway.

The other thing is - if you bought 'em as a 'combo' or Stage 1 package (TP can 'combo' pretty much anything), then there would be additional $ savings.

You're good to go

Cheers
Bubba

Old 03-28-2007 | 10:40 AM
The good thing is is these mods will already be on your truck before you order the custom tunes form Mike so your tunes can be created for what you already have instead of going the tuner route first and then adding more mods and having to redo your tunes. I ordered my AF1 & custom tunes at the same time for this reason, I know I should have probably went with an exhaust also, but ran out of funds.

You will definitely like the AF1 once you get that one. I installed mine last night and WOW is all I can say.

Old 03-30-2007 | 12:29 AM
Got home from work tonight and there was the AF1 and cleaning kit sittin' on my porch ... I'm a little concerned that 2 steps on the instruction sheet are printed across the illustrations and are impossible to read, especially since they seem to be regarding the MAF sensor..
Also, once I free up the MAF should I just go ahead and clean it before reinstalling? I think I've read that brake cleaner is acceptable?
I can't wait until Saturday morning when I'll have time to put that sucker in..

Old 03-30-2007 | 07:52 AM
Got home from work tonight and there was the AF1 and cleaning kit sittin' on my porch ... I'm a little concerned that 2 steps on the instruction sheet are printed across the illustrations and are impossible to read, especially since they seem to be regarding the MAF sensor..
Also, once I free up the MAF should I just go ahead and clean it before reinstalling? I think I've read that brake cleaner is acceptable?
Hi Tex

NEVER use brake cleaner - far too harsh.

Use CRC's MAF cleaner instead.

See RockPick's " How the f--K do I clean this MAF Thingy ??? " thread

Old 03-30-2007 | 09:37 AM
Hey if you need any help on the instructions let me know, I still have mine and can scan them and email if you'd like. Installation is a breeze, the confusing parts for me were where they'd show a picture of something and it didn't look like any of the parts I had, but I figured it out. Also they don't talk about installing vibration isolator, the only reason I caught it was because they mention about not crushing it and say it's "blue in color"

Old 03-31-2007 | 08:07 PM
Just installed the AF1 this afternoon and can't wait to hit the interstate for a little cruise.. and my instructions didn't even mention the little blue damper, but as it was like the last part left I kinda figured out where it must go..
The kit looks great and from the little drive I did take I love that induction sound!.. I'll take some pics once I polish it up..

Old 04-03-2007 | 12:43 AM
I went with the JLT Ram Air Intake kit and an SCT X-calibrator. It's a simple kit with no snorkels or housing, just a huge, open, re-usable air filter atop a small shield. Installed this yesterday; from popping the hood to disconnecting the X-calibrator, the whole job took half an hour. Performance improved considerably and the motor sounds happy and throaty. Driving conservatively my mileage improves ~ 2mpg. 2007 F-150 Screw KR LB

Old 04-03-2007 | 12:46 AM
I went with the JLT Ram Air Intake kit and an SCT X-calibrator. It's a simple kit with no snorkels or housing, just a huge, open, re-usable air filter atop a small shield. Installed this yesterday; from popping the hood to disconnecting the X-calibrator, the whole job took half an hour. Performance improved considerably and the motor sounds happy and throaty. So far, driving as I do normally (very conservatively), my mileage improves ~ 2mpg. 2007 F-150 Screw KR LB

Quick Reply: Best Intake??????