1997 4.6L Exhaust Manifold Stud & Nut / Collector

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007 | 10:04 AM
|
1997 4.6L Exhaust Manifold Stud & Nut / Collector

Vehicle: 1997 F150
Motor: V8 4.6L
4WD XL Extended Cab

Description of Problem: Loud exhaust coming from directly outside the exhaust manifold. Occasionally the noise ceases after driving for a while, I'm unsure whether or not this is due to it heating up and making a better seal or if it just "falls" back into place.

Question: Does the stock exhaust have a collector / donut gasket?

I'm trying to replace the connector from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe with an Exhaust Manifold Stud & Nut Kit and am unsure whether or not it requires a collector / donut gasket as well?

Has anyone experienced similar problems and or replaced this part before?

Any tips before I proceed?

Old 03-28-2007 | 10:17 AM
Well, your probably ready for new manifolds and studs. They are known to rust-out and leak. Do a search on "manifolds" and you'll read plenty.

I had to replace both manifolds, gaskets, studs, and the tube that connects to the EGR valve. Not fun, or cheap!

Old 03-28-2007 | 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by jjmIII
Well, your probably ready for new manifolds and studs. They are known to rust-out and leak. Do a search on "manifolds" and you'll read plenty.
I don't think he needs to plan on replacing manifolds just to correct what could be a leaky manifold/collector coupling. It looks like he's just wondering if there's a "donut"-style gasket between the manifold and the exhaust tube. Anyone have some insight?

Old 03-28-2007 | 07:10 PM
i have a 97 4.6. there is no donut gasket for the stock manifolds.your manifolds might be ok. you might just have a few broken studs. if you plan on keeping the truck you can get new manifolds at rockauto.com for like 60$.i had to replace my passenger side. it was rusted bad. bolts were pretty much gone.

Old 03-28-2007 | 07:40 PM
Search "exhaust stud" The standard problem is broken exhaust studs.

Quick Reply: 1997 4.6L Exhaust Manifold Stud & Nut / Collector