High flow cats, where's the proof?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High flow cats, where's the proof?

I find myself needing new a new catalytic converter, which spurs me in a direction I've kind of planned all along.

I keep reading here how one high flow can replace both cats on either side, still passing emissions. My local muffler guy gave me that look. You know the one, Extreme Skepticism.

There are no emissions inspections where I live, but I do feel a sense of responsibility, and moving across state lines is not out of the question. I need some kind of REAL info, not just, "I replaced x and still passed y." Does anybody have actual concrete data? If so...

How does one remove the guts from those pre cats?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cut all 4 off and installed 2 magnaflow high flows, burns cleaner, smells cleaner, and sounds a lot better! 100% legal

Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 AM
I don't really know what kind of concrete proof you are looking for.

We had a catalytic converter that was throwing codes on my Wife's 2000 Expy. Had all four cats removed and had 2 magnaflow high flows installed. The Expy never had any problem passing the emissions inspection.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Question

I talked to a local muffler shop about the maggie highflow cats and he told me that you should only replace your cats when they go bad, and that the ones that ford uses are already high-flow cats. I would guess he's not b.s'ing me because you would think that they would be willing to do whatever you want to pay for and give you that whole yeah sure they work great scheme.
I duno

Old 04-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bshipley78
I talked to a local muffler shop about the maggie highflow cats and he told me that you should only replace your cats when they go bad, and that the ones that ford uses are already high-flow cats. I would guess he's not b.s'ing me because you would think that they would be willing to do whatever you want to pay for and give you that whole yeah sure they work great scheme.
I duno
wrong... he doesnt want to do the work. Ford cats are NOT high flow. Magnaflows burn twice as clean and sound MUCH better. I picked up about 8hp from them

Quick Reply: High flow cats, where's the proof?