Superchips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007 | 12:12 AM
|
Superchips?

If you were to tune your stock truck, then buy an AF1 or K&N, how would you retune your truck for the increased air to fule settings? Would you start your truck and run it for 10 minutes, then retune it to let the cpu make the adjustments?

Old 04-12-2007 | 07:15 AM
Originally Posted by Ford974.6
If you were to tune your stock truck, then buy an AF1 or K&N, how would you retune your truck for the increased air to fule settings? Would you start your truck and run it for 10 minutes, then retune it to let the cpu make the adjustments?
Hi & welcome.

If by 'Superchips' you mean a 'canned' tuner (e.g models 17xx, 18xx, etc) then you can't do anything about intake mods that alter the stock factory calibration. The embedded tunes were written assuming the factory intake is in place.

As long as you choose an intake that has been tested to not introduce such alterations (a 3" AF1 is an example) then you should be fine running any canned tuner. Certain K&N's & other intakes have had separate MAF TF's written for them which suggests to me that they may require corrections to run safely.

It appears to be more of an issue on the 04+ trucks; on a '97 4.6, you can likley get away with running just about anything within reason given the MAF design.... ( heck, Jbrew runs a PVC crapper pipe shadetree intake!), but it can still be a problem, as has been reported here on a couple occasions. Don't know for sure unless it's actually measured.

Otherwise, a custom tuner is recommended. Please take the time to Search here & the Chips forum for plenty more info on this topic. It's a pile of readin' but worth it, IMHO.

Cheers
Bubba

Old 04-21-2007 | 09:04 PM
|
Thank you

Old 04-22-2007 | 04:24 PM
When I bought my Superchip for my '97 4.6L from Troyer Perf., Mike told me pretty much any intake or exhaust kit would be OK. That was before the really big AF1 kits were available.

Don't know if this applicable to you or not.

Last edited by billyw; 04-22-2007 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Superchips?