What is your Exhaust Tip Setup??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
I wanted dual 45* tips on each side in front of the rear wheels, but thanks to fuel tank location and ease of installation I just went with dual 45* in front on the passenger side rear wheel.

What size are thest tips and what brand? I asked this already but I really want to know cause that is exactly the look I'm going for.. sorry to be another one of the guys to copy you but ti looks so sweet!!!

Thanks-Alex

Last edited by Raatikainen22; 04-21-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Contributor

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Raatikainen22

What size are thest tips and what brand? I asked this already but I really want to know cause that is exactly the look I'm going for.. sorry to be another one of the guys to copy you but ti looks so sweet!!!

Thanks-Alex
the tips are 3 1/2" x 18" muffler shop specials, LOL they are stainless so i got extra work keeping them un colored, the inside black is BBQ grill paint and a PITA to sand and mask it all off for the look i have, i forgotto take photo's before i started...

Last edited by stoffer; 04-21-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 AM
the tips are 3 1/2" x 18" muffler shop specials, LOL they are stainless so i got extra work keeping them un colored, the inside black is BBQ grill paint and a PITA to sand and mask it all off for the look i have, i forgotto take photo's before i started...

I understand the paint but what is the PITA stand for? By the way nice thinking on the BBQ grille paint never would have thought of doing something like that!!!

Old 04-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Contributor

Originally Posted by Raatikainen22
I understand the paint but what is the PITA stand for? By the way nice thinking on the BBQ grille paint never would have thought of doing something like that!!!

P.I.T.A. PAIN IN THE A--(3 letter word for rectal orfice)

I learned that BBQ grill paint lesson when i rebuilt my first engine a good old Y-block 292 and the high temp paint peeled right away so I got mad and tried the BBQ grill paint out of desparation and it works wonders

Old 04-22-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributor

Exclamation

*ensure you truck has sat over night*
#1:use 2000 grit dry sand paper (and sand it in a crisscross motion leaving X's in the metal, also known as cross hatching)

#2: blow the dust out of it completely

#3: use wax and grease remover (per the directions)

#4: mask it all off using plastic trash bags or painters paper (including 3 feet on each side around the area you will be spraying, over spray clean up sucks worse than masking, don't use newspaper the paint will bleed thru if you accidently overspray it heavy)

#5: spray light even coats (it took me 3 coats before I got black inside the tips) spray more lighter even coats for a better end appearance)

#6: let it dry for 2 hours before you touch anything - yes 2 hours
then unmask it - don't start the truck with masking tape stuck to the pipe

#7: after that I used 2000 grit to sand off the outer ring and as you can see it looks great. < when I get home from Iraq, I will take some pics of my '03 harley truck exhaust system that I did that way (YES, the complete system) and how it looks over a year later (exactly the same as the day I finished it)

i should ask the webmaster if can I do up a how to article on "how to paint the exhaust systems and compnents" = what do you think??? yeah I'll do a system for someone in the central texas area and I'll be able to take pictures to include in the write up...

Old 04-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Something different

Old 04-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Gunny77
Something different

That's along the lines of what I had in mind. What set up do you have?

Old 04-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I used a universal Magnaflow SI/DO (3.0/2.5"), the 18" version. had a local shop bend two pipes to exit out the rear behind the tire and add two stainless rolled tips. When it starts you know it's there, when at idle it's quiet. When you stomp on it you know it's there but at hiway under 2k rpm it's hardly noticable. Works for me

Old 04-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Talking

I have a very similar setup to Gunny77, except that i ran one out the driver side and one out the passenger side.

I have a Magnaflow 12258 (3" input, dual 2.25" outputs) 18" muffler, anodized aluminum custom bent pipes, and slant cut, rolled tips. And I love the sound, too. Gunny's right, low rumble on start up and normal acceleration, (sorta) loud if you stand on the gas, and almost imperceptible in cruise control and less than 2000 RPMs.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey tarajerame, i dont mean to steal the thread, but were you in the cypress area yesterday? i could have sworn i saw your truck drive past me. cause i noticed the harley wheels

Old 04-22-2007, 10:12 PM
5" stainless tip run out the back corner at 45*

Old 04-22-2007, 10:13 PM
If anything it sounds a little louder, but I think it looks a lot cleaner without some tip hanging there. Plus it's a lot cheaper to weld a turndown on then bolt up all the extra piping. Just me though.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:28 PM
ive got mine dumped right after the muffler with no turn downs. its really loud compared to when i had the tip on it

Old 04-23-2007, 11:41 PM
*ensure you truck has sat over night*
#1:use 2000 grit dry sand paper (and sand it in a crisscross motion leaving X's in the metal, also known as cross hatching)

#2: blow the dust out of it completely

#3: use wax and grease remover (per the directions)

#4: mask it all off using plastic trash bags or painters paper (including 3 feet on each side around the area you will be spraying, over spray clean up sucks worse than masking, don't use newspaper the paint will bleed thru if you accidently overspray it heavy)

#5: spray light even coats (it took me 3 coats before I got black inside the tips) spray more lighter even coats for a better end appearance)

#6: let it dry for 2 hours before you touch anything - yes 2 hours
then unmask it - don't start the truck with masking tape stuck to the pipe

#7: after that I used 2000 grit to sand off the outer ring and as you can see it looks great. < when I get home from Iraq, I will take some pics of my '03 harley truck exhaust system that I did that way (YES, the complete system) and how it looks over a year later (exactly the same as the day I finished it)

i should ask the webmaster if can I do up a how to article on "how to paint the exhaust systems and compnents" = what do you think??? yeah I'll do a system for someone in the central texas area and I'll be able to take pictures to include in the write up...
Thanks alot for the pointers!!! This sounds like a PITA but the end result is pretty sweet, from what I can see in the pictures... Your truck looks sweet!!

Old 04-23-2007, 11:42 PM
When do you get back from over seas and how long have you been there?

Quick Reply: What is your Exhaust Tip Setup??