Difference in 14" and 18" maggie

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007 | 08:14 PM
I may not be the best to ask about the low end torque, I put this muffler in before the truck had 1K on it, still doesn't. I just don't think it has the take off it did before I replaced it. It still kicks the crap outta the '95 Nissan PU I traded in for this one. But on the other hand, I do love the sound of it. I really want to put a CAI in and a tuner, but I think I will wait until the majority of my warranty is over with....I did replace the OEM filter with a K & N drop in filter...

Old 04-25-2007 | 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by goldmember
Yikes...my 18" Magnaflow should be here today...I hope I don't lose any lowend.
I don't want to alarm anybody, I may not be the most qualified about low end torque. I just know that it doesn't seem to respond as quick from a dead stop as before I put the new muffler on. But on the flip side, it still kicks the crap outta the '95 Nissan PU that I traded in for my F150. I am happy with the sound of it (for now). I will be putting in a dual system sometime in the future. Along with a CAI and tuner (gonna wait till warranty almost done with for those though--still havn't hit the 1K miles yet ) I did replace the OEM air filter with a K & N drop in filter.

Old 04-25-2007 | 10:43 PM
Just got my SIDO 14" (3" in/2.5" out) Maggie added 3" from cat back to muffler and exited behind the wheels at each corner with 4"x18" tips. Shop bent all the tubing and it looks and sound awesome. Just as loud as my Flow but no drone at the 1700 rpm point, deeper throaty sound (Nicer for sure). Noticed better throttle response and low end torque improvement right away..I am glad I did it...SWEET.

Old 04-25-2007 | 10:53 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FX4JESUS
Just got my SIDO 14" (3" in/2.5" out) Maggie added 3" from cat back to muffler and exited behind the wheels at each corner with 4"x18" tips. Shop bent all the tubing and it looks and sound awesome. Just as loud as my Flow but no drone at the 1700 rpm point, deeper throaty sound (Nicer for sure). Noticed better throttle response and low end torque improvement right away..I am glad I did it...SWEET.
Ahhh how cooo!!!, now we are going to need some of those good ol fashioned sound clips. And have you had it at highway speeds yet or just 55 mph. Just wondering if there was any drone at 70 mph +.
I'm looking at getting a 14" SISO using factory piping, just a muffler swap and wondering if there are any drawbacks. I have been informed that you get better performance with the SISO than the SIDO. SIDO is mainly a cosmetic thing.
But awesome for you and I hope that you are enjoying your new sound

Old 04-25-2007 | 11:10 PM
Bshipley,

Thats where I'm at. Except I'm going with an 18". I hope all goes well. Just waiting for Performance Peddler to get the stuff. Taking a while.

Old 04-25-2007 | 11:12 PM
Bshipley,

Thats what I'm doing. Except I'm going with an 18". I hope all goes well. Just waiting for Performance Peddler to get the stuff. Taking a while. I'll keep everyone posted on any gains(not expecting any)/losses (hoping that doesn't happen).

Old 04-26-2007 | 12:15 AM
Thumbs up

Bshipley,

Thats what I'm doing. Except I'm going with an 18". I hope all goes well. Just waiting for Performance Peddler to get the stuff. Taking a while. I'll keep everyone posted on any gains(not expecting any)/losses (hoping that doesn't happen).
Hey Goldmember,
Yeah i am still kind of trying to figure out exactly which one I should go with I originally was going to go with the 18" but was hearing about people wanting to switch to the 14" because the 18" was too close to stock. I would like to be able to hear the two side by side, my primary concern is having excess drone in the cab on the hwy. Personally don't want to listen to the wife complain about it. what do you mean your waiting for PP the get the stuff? How does their process work?

Old 04-26-2007 | 07:06 AM
I wish i could have heard them as well. But I went with the quieter of the too. I want my truck to have good sound at start up. Better rumble at idle, and some sound when I get on it. But not enough for neighbors to say..."well John's home again" One post I read about a guy running the 18" said it was perfect and he tows a boat with it, drone wasn't there etc. Not to mention his wife wasn't bothered by it <----thats a big one for me.
As for PP, I ordered on Friday. The muffler shipped Monday it's scheduled to get here today. I have no idea when I'll get the exhaust tip because they were out of them and said it needed to be drop shipped from the manufacturer. So I'm guessing that part will come next week?

Old 04-26-2007 | 07:57 AM
Are you installing it yourself or taking it somewhere? If you are doing it yourself, do you know what or how much other material your going to need? I've been debating doing mine myself or having it installed at a local shop. The local shop only wants $50 to install it if I bring them the muffler or $180 if i buy their setup.

Old 04-26-2007 | 08:35 AM
I'm having it installed. He said it depends on how much pipe he has to bend, but figure on $70 he told me to install the muffler and weld on the exhaust tip. Worth it in my eyes for $150 total investment.

Old 04-26-2007 | 09:29 AM
There is a big difference from the 14'' and the 18''. Might be to much for the wife and kids but it sounds good. Might be to much on a 18hr drive also.

Old 04-26-2007 | 10:17 AM
I'll try to get some sound clips when I get a chance...Just know that the 18" is slightly louder than stock and the 14" is loud like a Flow 40 but with better sound..personal preference I guess...Have not had it on the hwy yet but no drone so far.

Old 04-26-2007 | 12:12 PM
I'm having it installed. He said it depends on how much pipe he has to bend, but figure on $70 he told me to install the muffler and weld on the exhaust tip. Worth it in my eyes for $150 total investment.
Which tip did you go with? & how much did PP want for it?

Old 04-26-2007 | 01:44 PM
Here's the one I got off a suggestion in a different thread I started.
12" stainless steel magnaflow with a rolled tip.
http://www.performancepeddler.com/de...CT_ID=MAG35204

With this code " locale2p " it was $20.43 shipped. total with the muffler was $80.21 shipped. To me that was tough to pass up. I'm just hoping I got the right ones. LOL

Last edited by goldmember; 04-26-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2007 | 12:14 PM
Thumbs up Maggie rep said...

I just got off the phone with a MagnaFlow rep and he recommended I go with the 5x11x22 muffler. He said that it won't resonate inside the cab and you would still hear it on the outside. Anyone have this one?
Also he told me that the difference between the 5x8 & 4x9 is that the 4x9 would be a tad bit louder. Just FYI

Quick Reply: Difference in 14" and 18" maggie