'04 4.6L CAI options

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007 | 02:40 PM
|
'04 4.6L CAI options

So many of them... has anyone compared the Volant to the Outlaw cai? At this time, those are my top two choices. I am looking for a true cai, not an under-hood open filter like K&N.

And yes, I have read the other threads. Dozens of them, pages of posts. My eyes are bleeding from it.

Old 04-18-2007 | 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Pyrik
So many of them... has anyone compared the Volant to the Outlaw cai? At this time, those are my top two choices. I am looking for a true cai, not an under-hood open filter like K&N.

And yes, I have read the other threads. Dozens of them, pages of posts. My eyes are bleeding from it.
Hi & welcome....

You need to keep readin'

At speed the difference in IAT's between stock, a closed box system, and an 'open' system is virtually nil - certainly not enough to matter.

At idle - they *all* heat up eventually, given the system lives under the hood. Material can make a difference here.

A properly designed 'open' system can & will breathe better than one in a box. Emphasis on the 'properly designed' part.

Did you also search in the Chips forum for intake info? (yup lots in there too).

And what about the '04 lean issues - Volant's among others are prone on an already-prone platform. Another assignment for ya ....

You'll find one that stands out. Guess what - it's an 'open' system.

So - are you after cheap, or good?

Explain again why you think you need a closed box system, after doing some remedial homework.... go get some eyedrops, because you ain't finished. LOL!

Good luck!

Cheers
Evil Mind-Control Bubba
~Don't ferget yer tin-foil hat~ LOL!

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-18-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-18-2007 | 03:10 PM
|
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi & welcome....

You need to keep readin'
Whew.. I'll agree ta that.

At speed the difference in IAT's between stock, a closed box system, and an 'open' system is virtually nil - certainly not enough to matter.

At idle - they *all* heat up eventually, given the system lives under the hood. Material can make a difference here.

A properly designed 'open' system can & will breathe better than one in a box. Emphasis on the 'properly designed' part.
Yep. Got all that...

Did you also search in the Chips forum for intake info? (yup lots in there too).

And what about the '04 lean issues - Volant's among others are prone on an already-prone platform. Another assignment for ya ....
Hmmm. Missed those...

You'll find one that stands out. Guess what - it's an 'open' system.

So - are you after cheap, or good?

Explain again why you think you need a closed box system, after doing some remedial homework.... go get some eyedrops, because you ain't finished. LOL!

Good luck!

Cheers
Evil Mind-Control Bubba
~Don't ferget yer tin-foil hat~ LOL!
Okaaaay... good points. Lessee, what do I want, what do I use the truck for? Rare light duty hauling. Rarer heavy hauling. No towing yet, but a quad or two is in the future. Off-road never, beyond the mild dirt or gravel forestry road; that's what the quads are for. Primary concern is a bit more umff from the throttle (and better sound. Who doesn't want that?) Huh... maybe yer right. Maybe an open filter is exactly what I want.

But believe me, I've been searching the web for three days now, about 20 hours worth of research so far. Gads, my right index finger is cramping!

Oh, btw, thanks for the fast response!

Old 04-18-2007 | 03:22 PM
MGD, I've read all of that, most of it more than once, haven't heard anything about S&B though. Any opinions or information on them? I know the AF1 is the "stand out" system and I'll probably order it but this S&B caught my eye while I was looking for headers.

Old 04-18-2007 | 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by turtle313
MGD, I've read all of that, most of it more than once, haven't heard anything about S&B though. Any opinions or information on them? I know the AF1 is the "stand out" system and I'll probably order it but this S&B caught my eye while I was looking for headers.
Hi Turtle;

Sorry - passed out for a bit there lol.

About all I know of the 'new' S&B , is that it's very well made, has good kit instructions, uses an actual high-quality S&B filter, is 'A/F'-safe, and is still not as highly rated as the AF1 (when I last asked MikeT about same).

Some folks here have then & like 'em - a couple have switched to an AF1.

It certainly is still a step up from most, including Volant. Price is within $30-$40 of the AF1.

If you absolutely must have a closed system to be comfortable, it appears to be a good choice.

Hope that helps you. If you haven't already, search for the threads containing S&B references.

Cheers
Bubba
~Anti-mind control tinfoil hats - two-fer-one today - limited quantities~

Old 04-19-2007 | 10:29 AM
Pyrik,
http://www.outlawpower.com/productimages.php?sc=1486

Check out the above pics. If you go mudding, even light mudding, you can see in the pics that if the filter was not enclosed, the filter would have got mudded too.

As you know there are a few companies that make enclosed filter systems.

Old 04-20-2007 | 10:44 AM
|
Yeah, see, I was leaning towards the Outlaw because of those kind of conditions. It's not so much mud that I worry about, though. I live in the Great North-Wet, and when it rains here it can really pour. That is a major concern for me with an open filter.

Old 04-20-2007 | 07:44 PM
I just installed

my new Airaid CAI today. I also have the 4.6 in my 06 Screw. The install went easy once I figured out where everything went, since the directions were not that great. The truck sounds awesome (I also have magnaflow duals), and you can here it sucking when you rev the motor.

I took it out on the highway just for a short trip a while ago. It seemed to have a little better throttle response but I honestly haven't noticed anything major. Still too early to tell. So far, no check engine lights either.

Old 04-20-2007 | 09:17 PM
Anyone know how well the Outlaw intake performs? I am looking for an intake for my 05 4.6L.

Quick Reply: '04 4.6L CAI options