New Exhaust questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007 | 05:25 PM
|
New Exhaust questions...

I just put some Pacesetter headers on my truck, I bought two single chamber flows, and two Maggy high flow cats. And I have them currently dumped at the rear axle. With 2 1/2 inch pipe. The truck is guttless as hell. Sounds okay but I was expecting better, and a hell of a lot better performance.. What did I do wrong? should I run the exhaust all the way out the back, and put an ex-pipe in there. Will that help out the performance?

Aaron

Old 04-18-2007 | 05:35 PM
It could be the headers, I take it they were shorties? I know shorties wont improve ur performance or sound at all but i'm unsure if they will kill performance.

Old 04-18-2007 | 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by lilthmp81
I just put some Pacesetter headers on my truck, I bought two single chamber flows, and two Maggy high flow cats. And I have them currently dumped at the rear axle. With 2 1/2 inch pipe. The truck is guttless as hell. Sounds okay but I was expecting better, and a hell of a lot better performance.. What did I do wrong? should I run the exhaust all the way out the back, and put an ex-pipe in there. Will that help out the performance?

Aaron
Let me guess, you lost some low end torque, so the truck feels slower from take off, but probable feels faster on top end. I had same problem with my mustang. Your truck is actually faster, just feels slower because all your driving is in lower RPM's and by changing to that exhaust set up, you put the power curve in higher RPM's. Switching to a magnaflow or borla S-type muffler may help some. But the real way to solve the problem is to improve induction, reprogram computer, and switch to a higher gear ratio. On my mustang, by just replacing flowmaster with borla S-type catback and doing intake and intake spacer was enought to make the car feel strong again in low RPM's and way faster on the top end.

Old 04-18-2007 | 06:56 PM
Well i don't have headers but my 2flows have made my truck a dog off the line.I will say that it does pull harder up top and love the sound but i noticed the same thing and it sucks.From what i hear an x-pipe will help and i'm sure you don't want to ditch your new mufflers.Mine pulls very hard after about 2500rpms all the way to redline but until then it has no *****!!

Old 04-18-2007 | 07:01 PM
|
I actually put on long tubes. And to say that I lost some low end torque is a understatement. I already have a Volant CAI. What do you think if I switched to a single Flow or Maggie DIDO muffler in conjunction with an x-pipe? I'm really hoping that I didn't just smash my head into a brick wall by doing this.

Last edited by lilthmp81; 04-18-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2007 | 07:06 PM
I'd go w/ the magnaflow.I'm not tryin to disrespect the flows cause i love the sound but i wish i could get my low end back same as you.I don't know if the flows could really hurt the power that much w/ the longtubes you put on.
Is it really that gutless??

Last edited by Kevin24; 04-18-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2007 | 07:23 PM
|
unfortunately it is that gutless. I have to admit that I've been driving my friends Z28 the last couple of days while my truck has been at the base hobby shop and then the exhaust shop so maybe that's what I've gotten used to and it just makes my truck feel so gutless. I guess I'll wait a few days and decide if I'll replace the the mufflers, but I'm definetly doing an x-pipe.

Old 04-19-2007 | 09:21 PM
Exhaust

The X pipe will help balance the back pressure and scavange the exhaust more efficently.Plus the sound is unmistakeable w/ the X.You can get a Magnaflow on e-bay for about $90.00 and some shipping.Install the X,you wont be dissapointed.Good luck.

Old 05-03-2007 | 08:25 PM
It could possibly your hi flow cats. If your engine is naturally aspirated (no supercharger, turbocharger, nitrous, etc.) you NEED back pressure. Hi flow cats and aftermarket mufflers drastically decrease back pressure, robbing you of your low end torque (take off). I have the same problem! I'd recommend trying to find a Y pipe with OEM pipes on it. Or, you could get a performance tuner, and this should help a little.

Old 05-03-2007 | 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by lilthmp81

Aaron
It could possibly your hi flow cats. If your engine is naturally aspirated (no supercharger, turbocharger, nitrous, etc.) you NEED back pressure. Hi flow cats and aftermarket mufflers drastically decrease back pressure, robbing you of your low end torque (take off). I have the same problem! I'd recommend trying to find a Y pipe with OEM pipes on it. Or, you could get a performance tuner, and this should help a little.

Old 05-04-2007 | 11:36 PM
Instead of re-re-remodifying your exhaust, spend the same money on some Troyer custom tunes, that will help you out the most.

Quick Reply: New Exhaust questions...