About Hydrolock

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007 | 07:54 PM
|
About Hydrolock

Should I be worried about this? I have a new CAI on my 06' and really never considered this to be a big problem since I don't go off road or through deep water. But when I installed my Airaid, there was a big warning in the instructions that they are not responsible if my engine gets hydrolocked. What is this all about? Will bad rain storms or high pressure car washes cause me a problem?

Old 04-20-2007 | 09:24 PM
first i would never take my truck through an automated carwash, and secondly you should do a search on this cause i constantly read these particular threads and have never heard the guys that know talk about complications with this.

Old 04-22-2007 | 02:41 PM
|
thanks for the response.

I do not take mine through automated washes either. I was referring to hand held high pressure washes. Of course the motor would be turned off in most cases. I really did not think alot about it until I installed it and saw how exposed the filter really is. What about a heavy downpour traveling down the highway. Is the water capable of getting to the intake in this situation?

Any one have any comments? I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-23-2007 | 12:36 AM
These manufacturers of aftermarket ANYTHINGS have to cover their asses.. I've driven an AF1 through very heavy rain and high-pressure car washes and haven't had a problem.. If you want to open your hood and squirt water directly on your filter, then yeah, it's gonna suck.. I don't know about your Airaid, but my AF1 came with a heat-shield / enclosure that seems to fit pretty securely to the bottom of my hood.. remember, once past the filter there is about 2 feet of tubing, likely heated to waters' flash point, before it reaches your throttle body.. if hydrolock was a big problem with aftermarket intakes don't ya think we'd all be reading about it in the press? 20/20? 60 Minutes? Truckin'? Consumer friggin' Reports?

Old 04-24-2007 | 09:50 PM
The last time i hydrolocked something i had water over the handle bars of my dirt bike. I have a hard time believing someone will hydrolock a full-size truck without trying to... It would take a fair amount of water to overcome the amount of air that enters your intake. As it was said earlier, the intake companies will list any and every disclaimer to wash thier hands of any responsibility of our trucks. There would be more truckless people screaming threads if it was a common problem...

Old 04-25-2007 | 08:00 AM
|
Thanks

for the response. It probably would be a really big deal if it were a common problem.

Old 04-25-2007 | 07:21 PM
Ya, you won't hydrolock unless you drive into a lake pretty much, it takes a TON of water to hydrolock an engine. The little ricers with their CAI at the bottom of the car, hydrolock when their cars run through puddle, but in a truck, unless it is a low(very low) rider, you will have no problems unless u turn on the engine and spray a hose into the filter. And you will be ok going through car washes too

Old 04-25-2007 | 07:54 PM
get a prefilter for it. they say those block water and do not restrict airflow.

Old 04-25-2007 | 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by jpugh619
for the response. It probably would be a really big deal if it were a common problem.
Well the apparant lean condition they cause in certain configurations isn't common knowledge either, and they don't seem to be too worried about it.
If they TELL you that it can hydrolock.....

Quick Reply: About Hydrolock