AF1 and size of intake tube

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007 | 11:49 AM
|
AF1 and size of intake tube

I have heard that with the 3.5 inch tube you need to tune. With the 3 inch you do not.

So, on the Troyer site there are two models listed for 04-07 F-150's...

The 3.5 inch is listed for the 5.4L, and

The 3 inch is lsted for the 4.6L.

Question... can the 3 inch tube listed for use on the 4.6L be used on the 5.4L as well???

Thanks

Old 04-21-2007 | 11:54 AM
What Ive read is that people without a tuner use the 3" on the 5.4 so the dont get a CEL. With a tuner they use the 3.5". Hope that helps.

Old 04-21-2007 | 10:38 PM
Call Troyer. They are very helpful.

My AF1 is 3-1/2" overall diameter ('06 5.4L), but the section where the MAF sensor is installed has in internal sleeve that has an ID of 3".

But, to be safe, give 'em a call.

Old 04-22-2007 | 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Coveredi
Call Troyer. They are very helpful.

My AF1 is 3-1/2" overall diameter ('06 5.4L), but the section where the MAF sensor is installed has in internal sleeve that has an ID of 3".

But, to be safe, give 'em a call.
Exactly, call'em up and talk to them. I have the 5.4L and the 3" tube. I went with the 3" tube so when I remove the tunes for those trips to the dealership I don't have to remove the intake.

Old 04-24-2007 | 07:49 PM
I received an email from TP today regardind my order. 3.5" requires a tune. I assume that it leads to the lean condition that we've all read about.

Last edited by turtle313; 04-24-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2007 | 09:14 PM
I have an 04' (new body 5.4 and an Edge) with a 3". No CELs at all and the 04's were prone to a lean condition so it has worked great for me. That's what Troyer suggested and that's what I bought.

Old 04-24-2007 | 09:34 PM
I called TP the other day with the same questions. I drive an 06 5.4L and I was told that i could buy either the 3" or 3.5". As everyone has stated, if you buy the 3.5" you have to tune your truck. If you buy the 3" it is not necessary to tune, but it certainly can make a difference...

I guess it just depends on what other mods you plan on installing and how many miles you have left on your warranty. If you want to squeeze every last HP out of your ride and plan on adding more bolt-ons, the 3.5" might be a better fit...

Old 04-27-2007 | 12:53 PM
Does anyone else find it odd that the only support given for AF1 products comes form Troyer Performance and not AF1? Why doesn't AF1's website inform new buyers of the different models available for the 2004+ F-150's, and if they go with the 3.5" it may require a custom tune? They put out a good product, just doesn't seem like the service and support is there. Perspective buyers should be able to get all the information they need off AF1's website in order to make an informed decision. Ooops, some one just kicked my soap box out from under me.

Old 04-27-2007 | 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by fishfx4
Does anyone else find it odd that the only support given for AF1 products comes form Troyer Performance and not AF1? Why doesn't AF1's website inform new buyers of the different models available for the 2004+ F-150's, and if they go with the 3.5" it may require a custom tune? They put out a good product, just doesn't seem like the service and support is there. Perspective buyers should be able to get all the information they need off AF1's website in order to make an informed decision. Ooops, some one just kicked my soap box out from under me.
I hear ya, but what can you do, AF1 probably loses some sales for not having a good site. I ordered one from TP and installed yesterday. I had an issue come up at 6:06 and TP had just left for the day (they did call back 1st thing this morning). I called AirForce and received help by a live human who picked up the phone, can't beat that. As far as I'm aware you can buy an AF1 from someone other than TP, but I'd suggest getting it from him. First, they're a supporting vendor. Second, they offer incredible support and knowledge. Don't get me wrong I'm not a ra-ra TP is god drone, but I DO respect his opinion and his immense experience. Ok, too much coffee and now I'm beating the soap box...

Old 04-28-2007 | 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio333
I hear ya, but what can you do, AF1 probably loses some sales for not having a good site. I ordered one from TP and installed yesterday. I had an issue come up at 6:06 and TP had just left for the day (they did call back 1st thing this morning). I called AirForce and received help by a live human who picked up the phone, can't beat that. As far as I'm aware you can buy an AF1 from someone other than TP, but I'd suggest getting it from him. First, they're a supporting vendor. Second, they offer incredible support and knowledge. Don't get me wrong I'm not a ra-ra TP is god drone, but I DO respect his opinion and his immense experience. Ok, too much coffee and now I'm beating the soap box...
^^^ X2 ^^^

AF1's site does list all the resellers (including TP), but Mike's company has customer service that's simply beyond reproach, plus he has vast experience with this intake, so it's a no-brainer to just order it from them.

I'm thinking I'd rather them have a chitty web site & great products, than a flashy site & chitty products LOL!

I'm ra-ra but no drone

Cheers
bubba

Old 04-28-2007 | 11:37 AM
Can I get by with Superchip programming and a 3.5"?

Old 04-28-2007 | 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by chrisalford
Can I get by with Superchip programming and a 3.5"?
Nope. The 3.5" requires a custom MAF transfer function. The only way to get that into the PCM is a custom tune. A canned tuner ( Superchips, Edge, etc) does not have the facility to do that....

... With the exception of an SCT 9415 SF - a canned device with preloaded settings (TF's) for certain aftermarket intakes.

Cheers
bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-28-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-29-2007 | 12:05 AM
So MGDFan, is the edge evo tuner worth buying or do you recommend a troyer?

I'm currently waiting for the EVO so I can put on 35s...

Old 04-29-2007 | 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by nxtlvl
So MGDFan, is the edge evo tuner worth buying or do you recommend a troyer?

I'm currently waiting for the EVO so I can put on 35s...

Hi.

Well, it's kinda late to ask, if you've already got one one the way .

I guess when the price point was $318 or so, it was a compelling device for folks who wanted little hassle & delay. At the current price, well you can get an X2 (with clearly superior full strategy matched custom tuning) for about the same cost.

I'm sure you'll be okay with the Edge, as long as you don't have firmware issues. The gauges are a nice touch; to get that functionality in an SCT tuner, you'd need to spend more to get into a LiveWire. Or add discrete gauges (route I took).

Good luck. With 35's you are gonna need all the torque you can get LOL!

Cheers
Bubba

Old 04-29-2007 | 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Good luck. With 35's you are gonna need all the torque you can get LOL!
Are you saying my 5.4 w/373 LS is gonna feel like a dog once I put on the 35s? I was thinking of going with 33s but they look a bit small once the truck's lifted. And with regards to the Tuner, I haven't paid for it yet and the guys at the shop I bought it from are loving me since I bought the lift, shocks, exhaust, and everything, but my system from them (at ridiculous Bro deal rates - Rancho kit for $1800 CAD = about $1500 USD) so if I decide I dont want it by the time it gets here, I don't think they'll be too bummed.

So I'll look into the xCal / troyer and see if it'll work better for me. You got me nervous about putting on 35s now...

Quick Reply: AF1 and size of intake tube