K&N oil on an AF1??

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007 | 09:32 AM
|
K&N oil on an AF1??

I just bought an AF1, but have the oil and cleaning solution left over from the K&N I had on my last truck. Is there any reason not to use it besides the color change? (i.e. quality, compatibility, performance) Or should I just spend the money and get the AF1 version?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Old 04-23-2007 | 01:51 PM
It's my understanding that virtually all of the oiled filters are manufactured by the same company, which would lead me to believe that any of their respective oils would be fine.

Anybody able to confirm or deny that?

Old 04-23-2007 | 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by billyw
It's my understanding that virtually all of the oiled filters are manufactured by the same company, which would lead me to believe that any of their respective oils would be fine.

Anybody able to confirm or deny that?
Hi.

For the cotton gauze type, you are probably right.

For filters like Trueflow's foam , they specifically require a different type.

Old 04-23-2007 | 05:19 PM
ONE oil company blends the oil for K&N, AFE, and S&B...AFE and S&B people/ technology originated from K&N and then supposedly improved. So you can safely use ones oil on the other. The variations in oil formulations are merely a result of slightly differing filtration engineering viewpoints. They all use the oil blender's input in the formulation.

Old 04-23-2007 | 07:17 PM
|
Thanks for the input. I did a search before I posted, and couldn't find anything (of course that's probably more of a critique of my "search" abilities, than the info on this site). If anyone else has any thoughts, keep em coming..

Old 04-24-2007 | 09:23 AM
My AF1 is now a nice deep K&N shade of red-purple

I looked into that as well, and I read/heard that the same oil kit can be used on an S&B filter. Mostly the color difference. I'd like to have kept it blue, but to be honest, that pretty blue color faded aweful fast to a dull gray. Oh well....

As long as it works!

You should be good to go.

PS - easy on the oil. Too much and it *may* get onto the MAF which will throw the air reading off. Not sure if this made a difference or not, but after spraying my filter with the new oil, I wrapped it in paper towels after 15 min to absorb some of the excess oil, then I hooked the filter up to a large shop vac and simulated some WOT time! Probably won't be able to tell the difference, but It made me feel like I was being innovative

Last edited by waterman308; 04-24-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2007 | 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by waterman308
PS - easy on the oil. Too much and it *may* get onto the MAF which will throw the air reading off. Not sure if this made a difference or not, but after spraying my filter with the new oil, I wrapped it in paper towels after 15 min to absorb some of the excess oil, then I hooked the filter up to a large shop vac and simulated some WOT time! Probably won't be able to tell the difference, but It made me feel like I was being innovative
Nice idea waterman!! gonna remember that when it comes time to clean / oil my filter!

Old 04-25-2007 | 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by TexEdition
Nice idea waterman!! gonna remember that when it comes time to clean / oil my filter!
^^^ x2 ^^^

That's a great idea that 'sucks'

cheers
bubba

Old 04-25-2007 | 05:01 PM
Waterman - How many miles on your filter before you did your first cleaning and re-oiling?

Old 05-02-2007 | 06:43 PM
Can anyone tell me about how many miles do you put on the AF1 intake before you clean and re-oil? I have about 2500 on mine current filter and it's turned a nice gray form the original blue color. I'm pretty sure it's too soon, but is this something I should do with every oil change (5k mile intervals) or is this something that can go 10k miles before doing? Thanks

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:48 PM
|
It says on their website 10,000 miles. Or as necessary for off-roading.

Old 05-02-2007 | 09:48 PM
I got a slip of paper with my AF1 that states, "Cleaning kits for your filter can be purchased from most auto parts retailers that carry K&N Filter Cleaning Kits or S&B Filter Cleaning Kits". They also suggest checking and possibly cleaning at each oil change. Hmmm, is that 3K changes or 12K or 15K?

The paper towel and shop vac idea is a great idea, I'll need to try that on the car this weekend.

Old 05-02-2007 | 11:41 PM
The instructions that came with my AF1 said clean & oil every 50,000 miles for normal use. I'd be nervous about that, I'll probably do it every 10k unless it just gets nasty..

Actually, the AF1 filter is made by S&B, as is the cleaning / oiling kit I ordered with the AF1.

Old 05-03-2007 | 11:40 PM
cold air intakes

hey guys, what is everyones opinion of the best intake for the money when it comes to 4.6 engines? i see that several of you are running the airforce one. where is the cheapest place everyone has found to get those from. and about what are they costing everyone? are any of the other ones on the market any better for the same money??

Old 05-04-2007 | 12:32 AM
Hey Brian, you'll get plenty of opinions about the best CAI, lot's of people like the K&N, the Volant, the S&B. According to Troyer the AF1 gives the best increase in hp, so that's what I went with on my 4.6L. Unless you get custom tunes go with the 3", the 3.5" requires tuning. I ordered mine from Troyer Performance and it was $275.
I love the freakin' thing!.. LOL.. easy to install, very nice sounds, and the truck is noticeably quicker up around 3500 rpm and above..

Quick Reply: K&N oil on an AF1??